TNG Community
Chris Gray

TNG Database Validation

Chris Gray

I am trying to resolve an issue with TNG and was wondering whether there was such a thing as a "TNG Database Validator" tool?  I realize that TNG probably validates all the data as it is entered - be it via the forms or GEDCOM - and any "Mod" would be expected to carry out its own validation - but I was just wondering.  The resolution of the specific issue I am trying to resolve will be the subject of a separate post - this one is just for the Validator - if it exists.

Chris Gray

Hi - I am aware of the "Data Validation" tool under "Miscellaneous" - but there would seem to be very few checks.  Are most errors trapped by the database itself (e.g. validity of dates, someone who is the mother of their grandfather)?  You can tell that I am not a database expert.

jayat1familytree

Chris,

TNG does NO validation.

You should find an external validator and clean your gedcom BEFORE importing it into TNG

One I like is Genealogica Grafica.

http://www.genealogicagrafica.nl/download.htm

Chris Gray

Many thanks for this.  I am aware of tools to validate GEDCOMs.  I was more concerned with data added / modified without using GEDCOMs.  I understand that TNG is often used by people as their sole Genealogy application - so have nothing to generate GEDCOMs with.

I assume that I can always add checks to the "Data Validation" tool and so avoid needing to export the TNG content as GEDCOM, validate it and re-import.  But firstly I would need to learn PHP and study the TNG database schema.  That it self is not a problem.  But then I may need to update it when the schema changes in the next decade or two, and it would increase the pain when upgrading (currently I use no mods and have not amended the themes so upgrades are seamless).

But it looks like I will need to export, validate and import every so often in order to ensure no errors or anomalies have crept in.

Thanks again for your response.

jayat1familytree

Chris,  

Since Darrin does not monitor the user forum,

I would suggest that you post a "Suggestion" here on the forum to add more validation tools

as well as to email Darrin directly to let him know that you need the better tools.