TNG Community

Gedcom import hanging

SharonM

Hi there,

I hope someone can give me some advice. I haven't updated the data on my website for about 2 years - I'm using v9.0.4. Today I tried to import my latest gedcom but when I clicked the import data button it 'hangs' on the 'Importing Gedcom' box. Nothing happens with the progress bar. 

There is a flashing message in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen which mostly says it is 'waiting for parcel-of-rogues', but also other messages such as 'Processing Request' or 'Waiting for cache.

I'm waiting for a response from my hosting provider, but as far as I can tell, the hosting servers themselves seem to be working OK - I can go in through their console and upload data, browse  etc. without problem. 

I have tried imorting from a gedcome file on my computer and one uploaded to the server, but I get the same problem either way.

Prior to this the website was working perfectly, but as it stands at the moment there is no gedcom data on the site, though the media is still there.

It seems to be a communication problem between the TNG software and the hosting servers, but I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Thank you.

Go to Admin > Setup > Diagnostic tab and tell us what PHP version is showing there.  TNG 9.0.4 is a very old TNG version since it is now up to TNG 12.0.1. 

Since you started an Import, the tables were cleared, so you will need to use Admin > Utilities and restore the backup that hopefully you took before starting the import.

If you did not do a Utilities > Select All > Backup, you will need to ask your host to restore your database

Hi again Ken. It says my version of TNG requires 4.0.4 or higher, and in the next column there's a tick and PHP v5.3.28.  

Thank you,

Sharon

Thanks Sharon,

I wanted to make sure that your host had not upgraded PHP to a version that TNG 9 does not support.

You may have to wait on a reply from your host.

Thank you Ken. I'll wait to see what they come back with.

I realise my TNG is very old and that problems could start arising as a result. I may bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest version for that reason, though it works perfectly from a 'user'  point of view (and doesn't get used that much from an 'Admin; point of view). 

Thank you,

Sharon

A suggestion before you upgrade (although that is a good idea, regardless).

Unless you host is using custom (and humorous) error/pending flags, your site may have been hacked.

'waiting for parcel-of-rogues' -- Parcel of Rogues is a British folk song.

See if your host can restore your domain from an earlier backup (or do it yourself if you have one), and if not, try to upload clean copies of the TNG distribution files - if you have cusomized any of those, make a copy of those files first to make it easier for you to regain your customizations.

Thank you ashareem. I should have made clear, Parcel-of-rogues is my domain name. I know the folk song and given what some of my ancestors got up to, I thought the name fitted. So the 'waiting for' message is just waiting for my domain name/hosting server to respond.

But thank you for taking the time to respond.

Sharon

Sharon, that's great! :facealm: me for not figuring that out.

As a member of Clan MacBean and a spouse who descends from both Clan Campbell and Clan Buchanan, I can perfectly understand that choice!!!

Hopefully someone has perhaps replied to you with more cogent advice, and that your site is processing properly again.

Ashleigh
LookingBackwards.net

Many hosts perform updates without telling clients so Ken's comment about PHP is an important consideration.  My comment below may not apply to your situation since I have no idea how your host is configured.

That said, the problem sounds similar to an issue I have. I run a server in my home and GEDCOM imports always worked great. After an OS update I receive a waiting on my domain to respond message with no progress bar. If I wait long enough (15-20 minutes), I eventually get a 504 Gateway error message. It turns out the problem is not with TNG but my OS. I have an NGINX front end with a Apache 2.4 back end running FastCGI.

Although I have not solved the problem, I learned there are issues between NGINX and Apache when running long processes. So whenever I run a GEDCOM import, I switch to the NGINX back end and everything runs although I still wait about 60 seconds before the screen starts updating the progress bar. When the import completes I switch back to the Apache back end. If you have the option of using a different back end server, you might give that a try and see if it helps.

Steve
Family Histories

Hi Steve, thank you for your input. I don't have a home server, and I think I would be very out of my depth if I tried to set one up. 

However, I have finally resolved my problem and I'm afraid it was due to my own inexperience.  I haven't updated my TNG data for at least a couple of years. Around that time I also upgraded my desktop system (FH6), and obviously used the FH6 Gedcom plugin to export the data, as I found a gedcom file on my server which had the plugin naming convention. For some reason, this plugin was no longer installed on my desktop software and I just did an ordinary export, which resulted in a very large file (only 2Mb, but compared to previous exports its huge). THat set me looking at from the FH6 perspective. I found the plugin (which I totally forgotten I had ever used), installed it and the resulting gedcom file was back to normal size and uploaded straigh away. 

As an aside, I had previousy tried uploading the (overlarge) gedcom with 'old style import option - no progress bar' and this opened up an error page which told me the gedcom was too large and put me on the right track.

Thank you all for your help. I'm now thinking about upgrading to the latest TNG version anyway, as it probably isn't wise to run old versions for ever.

Thank you again,

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...

After I updated to V12 from 11.1.1, import started stalling.  Instead of green bar moving every 9 seconds or so, it did not move.  Tried stopping and resuming but no effect.  Tried old style import which stalled with around 45,000 out of 116,000 people imported; on clicking resume message came on screen that gedcom file was incompatible with php version, which did not appear to be true.

Gedcom is abt 127MB with over 117,000 people and 34,000 families in it.  Import progress bar now moves about every five minutes to completion but underreports (compared with web site statistics page) numbers of people and families imported.

I cannot diagnose what the issue is: something in my gedcom file; TNG software or a hosting issue and neither can Darrin or my hosting service.

Has anyone else got this problem and found the answer?

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

My problem was solved using the plugin for my desktop software to export the Gedcom file. Is there a similar plugin for the software you use to create your Gedcom? Good luck resolving this.

I use Legacy 9 (latest version to create gedcom.  I have always done this.  I use settings export to Legacy, UTF 8 convert formatting codes to HTML style, make space strings in note fields web friendly and export shared events as regular events (as I have always done).

John

I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you. 🙁 Hopefully someone who can will be in touch soon. Good luck.

Sharon 

Sharon,

Thanks for trying.  With so many records in my gedcom, without a diagnostic capability, and with a number of different software applications involved in the process: Legacy 9, FTP, TNG and other software on hosting service, I am very perplexed.

Cheers,

John

Maybe if you post your question as a new thread, it might get more response. It appears also that there is a patch for TNG v12 - see below. Maybe installing the patch will help. 

Sharon

Sharon,

Thanks.

The patch has been installed.  Hosting service has moved my site to a different server.  Import progress window remains at zeroes until import completion when it reports people and families that match gedcom data.

Getting by for now but ...

Cheers,

John

John,

If the patch does not solve the problem, you should upgrade to TNG 12.0.1  There are fixes in that upgrade for Import.  I am surprised that Darrin did not tell you that.

In regards, the counts remaining a zero that is a function as to whether the server allows intermediate output. Might not be the correct term.   Will check later when I get back

Ken,

I am on V12.0.1 after Darrin advised that this might resolve matters, but it didn't.  Under V11.1.1, import progress bar moved every 9 seconds or so.  So it's disconcerting to say the least to see progress bar not changing and with no way of telling if anything is actually happening.  Darrin is fully aware but he does not seem to be able to diagnose what is or is not happening.

Cheers,

John

John,

The problem is the progress bar is displayed based on a server setting.  Maybe you should ask the question on the TNG user2list as to whether any of the TNG users who are system administrators on Linux systems know what Apache setting controls whether the server sends intermediate output to the client on a long running process.

Sorry I am not a Linux system administrator,  I used to know the IBM's mainframe z/OS system

Ken,

Thank you.  I am a server ignoramus and do not understand.  I am hosted by Simply Hosting and they presumably set these settings.  They have moved my site twice now between servers and they have done many tests and have no issues when they try to import.  My site is whitelisted in Bitdefender 2019 and I don't use any ad blockers.  I understand that Simply host many other TNG users.

Cheers,

John  

John,

The term I was looking for is - output buffering.  If you are running on Simply Hosting, they should be able to provide the answer as to why Darrin's use of buffer flush is not getting the intermediate results of output buffering.   See also show results while script is still executing

Furthermore, Simply Hosting should be able to provide what server settings need to be changed to allow TNG to provide intermediate import status, so it can be documented on the TNG Wiki and for Darrin, what a TNG user needs to ask their hosting service to change in order to be able to follow the import progress.

Let me know if you need me to ask Gustave Dahl for help with this.

Ken,

Simply Hosting has gone above and beyond in my view in trying to help me.  Matt at Simply Hosting imported my gedcom and sent me the screenshot video of start to completion.  It worked well.  I then tried disabling all the features of Bitdefender 2019 that I thought might be causing the problem, but import again showed no progress.

I then went the whole hog and uninstalled Bitdefender, rebooted and import went better than I have seen in a long time with progress bar moving every other second.

So my conclusion is that there was something in Bitdefender that was causing the problem, but I have no idea what this is or how to diagnose it.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

John