TNG Community

what php Guestbook to use?

Brenda

Hi to all;

I'm wondering what Guestbooks people have used and liked or disliked. I'm considering adding one to my website, and find there are *many* out there.

Ideally the Guestbook would be free smile.gif and ad-free as well. I'd be most interested to hear what you are using, and how you've found it to work.

Thanks

Brenda

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi to all;

I'm wondering what Guestbooks people have used and liked or disliked. I'm considering adding one to my website, and find there are *many* out there.

Ideally the Guestbook would be free :) and ad-free as well. I'd be most interested to hear what you are using, and how you've found it to work.

Thanks

Brenda

Lazarus is worth a look: http://carbonize.co.uk/Lazarus/

Fits into TNG with minimal effort as it will work off an include statement.

Hi to all;

Ideally the Guestbook would be free :) and ad-free as well. I'd be most interested to hear what you are using, and how you've found it to work.

Thanks

Brenda

I too like Lazarus. It was very easy to integrate with your site. Some where on the forum would be instructions how to do that since it was posted at one time. Here is mine:

http://www.murrayfamilytree.com/guestbook.php

I would give my vote for Lazarus, but it doesn't have search feature. I went with Viper (even though development has stopped until v2).

Rush

I use EGuestPro, in my opinion one of the best. Take a look:

http://www.kloosterman.be/./EGuestPRO-show.php

New features including Image Verification Code, Admin Interfaces, Theme Support, Advanced Search with Highlight, Auto Web/Email Links, IP/Word Banning, Blank Line Protection, 250+ Smiley and much more. It excels any other guestbook scripts, allowing you to have a truly professional guestbook on your website.

http://www.esoftpro.com/product.php?pid=eguestpro

Just $ 24, but worth every penny!

Brenda,

I don't know if it is the best...it is very simple and minimalistic, which is what I am after in most programs I am integrating into the websites we have. The guestbook I use does not use a MySQL database (nor does the forum), is secure and seems to be working fine. I have it on the main website in a full page and through TNG just use an iFrame to see it there. The link to where the code came from is at the bottom of the guestbook if you like it. The price is free. Please sign it to test the user side if you like;

Called within TNG;

http://famgen.casawood.com/tnggbook.php

It's regular spot on our site;

http://casawood.com/gbook/gbook.php

The site I obtained it from;

http://www.phpjunkyard.com/php-guestbook-script.php

Eventually, when I finish the redesign of the entire site, it will all be in one location. Best of luck in the decision process.

Gary

• 7 months later...

And what about Alex Guestbook ? Free 8) , php & mysql, different antispam tools, different languages, support via a forum, etc

@lex Guestbook

Works great with TNG, and @lex GB has different templates to make it fit with your TNG look.

My guestbook at: Bosschaerts-Persyn Genealogical research - Guestbook

My previous guestbook in html gave my the creeps because it was filled with spam, tons of spam on a dayly basis... @lex Guestbook solved this problem, via its security code and confirmation requirement of the webmaster. ... no more spam :)

Without any obligation ofcourse.

• 4 weeks later...

I would give my vote for Lazarus, but it doesn't have search feature. I went with Viper (even though development has stopped until v2).

Rush

There is now a search function in the beta ver 1.7b.

Russ

• 10 years later...
On 14-11-2006 at 9:47 PM, Russellgs said:

Rush

I switched also to Lazarus guestbook as well for 2 reasons:
 -  @lex Guestbook stopped its service and was filled with more than 16.000 spamitems. It took some time to clean then and I also found 3 new items.
 -  Lazarus is merged with TNG since several users have chosen for this gb

Greetings from Belgium
Rudi

bobbyfamilytree

I look for any sort of extra interaction. One method I use is to allow users to comment underneath each persons profile (as opposed to condensing all comments to one page of the site but is also something I may do) . On the this page for example I had a comment the other day (down the bottom), subsequently the commenter has made contact with me via email.

This comment system is called Commentics (I'm using v2.5 and the current version 3.1) and there is a TNG thread here and other info here and here

Another option would be to start up a family facebook/social media page that works inconjunction with your TNG website. For what ever reason, family seem to be more comfortable sharing information on social media than on any other medium out there.

bobbyfamilytree
1 hour ago, Merv said:

Another option would be to start up a family facebook/social media page that works inconjunction with your TNG website. For what ever reason, family seem to be more comfortable sharing information on social media than on any other medium out there.

I would have to agree with you. I've always avoided FB because dont like it, but from my observation over the last few years or so it does seem good for connections. So i've dived into a FB account. I haven't let anyone know yet but will in due time when I build it up a bit more and get used to facebook. I"ve also added 2 icon links (FB & twitter) at the bottom of my site.

jayat1familytree

bobbyfamilytree

Is the commentrics database tied to tng database still work if a new gedcom is uploaded each week?

How are links stored?

Could you send me a database table example?

Thanks

Jay 

1familyree.com/genealogy/index.php

bobbyfamilytree

I'm probably the wrong person to ask those questions @jayat1familytree sorry.

1) Is the commentrics database tied to tng database still work if a new gedcom is uploaded each week? Not sure I only ever uploaded one gedcom, when I first started with TNG back in 2009

Perhaps others can chime in and reply to your queries as I don't know the answers, but could look if i were directed.