TNG Community

Heat Map Function ?

jhculbert

I am using TNG v. 11.1.2.  I have a question about how the Heat Map works.

I set up the following search, and get the following Search Results Listing:

"Matches 1 to 50 of 2,663 for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert"

I then click the Heat Map button, and see the following Heat Map Results Listing:

"Places for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert (3,320)"

Why the difference in results between what is in my database and what Heat Map is showing?

How can there be more places than people, when each person has only ONE birthplace?

You can see this yourself by using the Advanced Search at: http://culbert.one-name.net

Edited by theKiwi
added http://

Are you doing this when logged into your site as Admin, or when logged out?

I can see that perhaps when logged out, the 2,663 represents people who are not Living, but the 3,320 includes everybody - Living or not Living, and it may be that it's not until you drill down to the level of an individual place that the Living people are suppressed from display.

So log in at the Admin for the site and do the check again and see if you get identical numbers.

Roger

Roger,

Aah....a VERY good suggestion.

Just checked now......

The prior results were from a non-logged-in (public view) perspective.

When logged in, the search results are as follows:

"Matches 1 to 50 of 2,959 for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert"

And the heat map returns:

"Places for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert (3,618)"

So, it appears I have 659 additional living individuals in the category that now show up in the results when logged in.

But, the question remains - why does the heat map count more than there are in the search results.

Jim

jayat1familytree

Jim,

Use your "Advanced Search" to search for the same parameters and see what results you get.

6 hours ago, jhculbert said:

Roger,

Aah....a VERY good suggestion.

Just checked now......

The prior results were from a non-logged-in (public view) perspective.

When logged in, the search results are as follows:

"Matches 1 to 50 of 2,959 for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert"

And the heat map returns:

"Places for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert (3,618)"

So, it appears I have 659 additional living individuals in the category that now show up in the results when logged in.

But, the question remains - why does the heat map count more than there are in the search results.

Jim

I don't know - if it only counting births it should be the same - do you have individuals that might have 2 different birth events so that one person's name has 2 birth places?

Roger

I do not have individuals with multiple birth locations.  There may be a an alternate birth event for a few, but not for 659 of them!

jayat1familytree

What is the URL of the heatmap link (before you click on it)

AND the URL of the heatmap page?  They should match

my test matched

_site/  genealogy/heatmap.php?mybool=AND&nr=50&tree=1FamilyTree&branch=&showdeath=yes&mylastname=Wilpolt&lnqualify=contains&mybirthplace=, USA&bpqualify=contains

Matches 1 to 50 of 62 for Last Name contains Wilpolt AND Birth Place contains , USA AND Tree equals 1FamilyTree

Places for Last Name contains Wilpolt AND Birth Place contains , USA AND Tree equals 1FamilyTree (62)

I just noticed your site shows the opposite symptom too - if you search for Last Name contains Rankin there are 88

If you then click on Heat Map there are 50

In that case I'd wonder if all their places are geocoded.

Roger

Search results:

Matches 1 to 50 of 2,959 for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert

Search results link after log-in:

http://culbert.one-name.net/search.php?mybool=AND&nr=50&tree=Culbert&mylastname=Culbert&lnqualify=contains&mybirthplace=U.K.&bpqualify=contains

After clicking heat map button:

Places for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert (3,618)

http://culbert.one-name.net/heatmap.php?aaa=test&tngname=culbert&mybool=AND&nr=50&tree=Culbert&mylastname=Culbert&lnqualify=contains&mybirthplace=U.K.&bpqualify=contains

I do not understand how the two links can or should match.  One is for search results from the TNG database, the next is a heat map.

-------------------

Also, in response to Roger, you make a good point!  No, not all of my places are geocoded, since I am actively entering data.  I only do the geocoding update periodically.

So, I did a geocoding update, and now I get the following results:

Advanced search:

Matches 1 to 50 of 2,959 for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert

Heat map:

Places for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert (3,629)

This makes no sense to me.  How can advanced search results not be picking up the additional places?  And, my original question of the differences still remains.........

jayat1familytree

You probably should email Darrin directly so he can explain the logic to you. He doesn't monitor the forum postings.

2 hours ago, jhculbert said:

Advanced search:

Heat map:

Places for Last Name contains Culbert AND Birth Place contains U.K. AND Tree equals Culbert (3,629)

You probably need to search only for places that contain latitude and longitude.  If they are not geocoded, they are not shown on the heat map.

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

You probably need to search only for places that contain latitude and longitude.  If they are not geocoded, they are not shown on the heat map.

Yeah, but in this case the heat map is showing more places (hence geocoded places) than the Advanced Search.

Roger