TNG Community

TNG Wiki Family Group Worksheet - Rick Bisbee

LJLachance

LJLachance

So I found this Family Group Worksheet by Rick Bisbee on TNG Wiki.  It says it is "standalone" and it appears MOD Manager is not required to install.  I'm using Version 12 TNG and downloaded the correct FGW zip file (version 12.0.0.37.zip), extracted the folder, uploaded it to my TNG folder on the server and attempted to navigate to the setup page.  1st attempt failed, throwing a 404 error.  I next tried placing the folder inside the TNG Extensions folder and tried again but the result was the same with a 404 error.  I've tried to use Rick's support mechanism but two tries there resulted in unable to deliver message.  Has anybody used this with Version 12?  Does anybody have any idea why I'm getting the page not found error?  

My apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to discuss an add-on.  If it is, would someone direct me to the correct place please.

Thanks, 

Larry

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katryne

• kazooter

• LJLachance

• matvernier

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LJLachance

Manofmull 

So far, I have accomplished the steps you have listed and I can't get either the setup.php or the index of this folder.  I've tried contacting Rick through his online TNG form, but can't even get that to work.  Anybody have an email for Rick?

Thanks

LJLachance

Hello all,

I've not heard from Rick and still have not been able to load "setup" from a browser.  I wonder if anyone might know if this may be a "permissions" thing?  Do I need to set permissions for the folder to allow read/write access in order to run the setup?  AND, if I do need to do this, would I need to set the permissions back to something else when I'm done?  I'd really like to figure out how to use this FGS on the site as it seems to be a very beneficial piece.

L

Rick recently changed hosting services and his web site Contact Us and Mod Support form were not sending email  I think that is fixed.

Rick was also in desktop recovery mode with Windows 10.  Try using the Mod Support Form again.

LJLachance

Thanks Ken, but alas, no luck -

"Support Request: Family Group Worksheet

We're sorry, but your message could not be delivered."

Larry

Regarding the Family Group Worksheet, I just posted an update.  See if that fixes you problem.  If not, let me know and I'll look into it.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I'm not sure what I did - but - this morning I decided to go for a third attempt.  I guess 3 IS the charm because I did not download the latest and, it appears to work.  Now to figure out what I want to do with menu items and where I want to put the link - and I think I'm good to go.  I will ask however, do I need to actually set up the tables or is that taken care of when setup is completed?  Thanks much,

Larry

Glad it's working.  There is only one table and it's used to store submitted worksheets.  It is created the first time a complete setup is run.  Table creation stopped working when web hosts went to MySQL 5.7 and newer versions of PHP.  I think I got that fixed with the latest version of the FGW.  If you still have a problem, let me know.

Rick

Well, guess I goofed - I went back to the WIKI page, downloaded the FGW again, removed the old one and re-uploaded the new one.  Here we go again.  I can navigate to the readme.html. but trying to get to either index.html in the FGW folder or to setup.php in the folder results in a 404 error again.  I have no idea why it let me get in previously and not now.

And, you may disregard my previous email...  I needed to be logged into my TNG as Admin before I could navigate to the setup.  May I suggest a slight addition to the Installation section of the WIKI?  Add "After placing the fgw folder on your site, LOG INTO YOUR TNG ADMIN PORTAL, THEN, USING THE ADDRESS BAR IN YOUR BROWSER navigate to... fgw/setup.php."  Just a thought as this is the only way I could get there.

Now, if someone would be kind enough to tell me WHERE I can modify the EXISTING drop down menu(s) found on all but the index page (Template 13) AND where to edit/remove/comment out certain menu items, I'll be in business.  I would like to use customconfig or some other tool (rather than a mod) to make my changes AND add a link to the FGW folder titled exactly as you have it "Submit Family" - 

Thanks again,

Larry

4 Hours Later - I've fumbled my way through the genlib.php and commented out those menu items I do not wish to appear.  I am almost there but really believe I do need some help here.  I know I can use a MOD to "add" a drop down menu but this is not what I want to do unless I must.  Still using Template 13 and specifically within the sub-page drop down menus (shown below), what I would like to do is:

Remove the "Media" drop down (and comment out the two links that still exist) from it as well.

Replace the "Media" drop down with "Find" or "Submit" or "Other" or anything else whereby I can add just the FGW link to be visible only to registered users. If I can use a MOD to do this, I'll have to figure out how to use the "MOD" itself first - and that's fine. If I can add the FGW link to one of the two remaining (Find or Info) drop down tabs, that would be even better.

image.png

I have the FGW link on the index page (showing to registered users only, I think) and it seems to work fine.

And, as an aside, I'd like to open the database to the public but - I would like to find a way to show any individual, born after 1920 as living or private or unavailable, regardless of date of death.  Is there some way to make that happen?

If I can get these items accomplished, I can get back to work on genealogy. :-) Thanks for the help.

Larry

jayat1familytree

Larry

I know that in more recent versions of TNg there is a secondary process tab in the Admin>Import>Secondary prcesses that will "trim' away any unused media items from the drop down menu.

I use the custom menu Mod to add the FGW tabs to my "more" drop menu

tng_example_more_drop_menu.jpg

The FGW Worksheet links  are only avail to registered users and the logs only avail to Admins.

I'll attach my .cfg file, but you will need to adjust it for your own site as far as paths for links and images, etc.

Hope that helps.

Jay

custom_menu_hook_1ft_customized_v11.0.0_1.zip

Jay,

Thanks much for the zip.  I'll give it a go and see what I can do.  

6 hours ago, jayat1familytree said:

secondary process tab in the Admin>Import>Secondary processes

This part I've already accomplished so I'll move on from there and take a look at your file.  I didn't want to add a new tab, but it that's the only way, I'm going to have to do it.

Thanks again for the insight,

Larry

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Rick,
I am trying to communicate with you about the downloading problems I have for FGW and FGW tab mod but the Support link to contact you is also incorrect. It seems as if all the links to download or to contact you lead to the wroon URL. So, I am sorry to write here but this is the only way I know to contact you.
Please let me know where I can download your FGW Tab mod and an update of the excellent FGW.
Thank you,

André

André, I just downloaded both zip files. Do you want me to send them to you or make them available for you ? What I got is wor TNG 12. I have started to correct the French files.

André je viens juste de télécharger les 2 zips. Veux-tu que je te les fasse parvenir ? J'ai pris la version pour TNG12. J'ai commencé à refaire les traductions françaises.

André,

You should just go back and attempt to download again.  Rick's server was down at the time you initially attempted the download

Il y a 5 heures , Katryne said:

André, I just downloaded both zip files. Do you want me to send them to you or make them available for you ? What I got is wor TNG 12. I have started to correct the French files.

André je viens juste de télécharger les 2 zips. Veux-tu que je te les fasse parvenir ? J'ai pris la version pour TNG12. J'ai commencé à refaire les traductions françaises.

Thank you, Katryne, for your message and for reworking the translation. It is a great need. I can help too, if you want.

il y a 44 minutes, Ken Roy said:

André,

You should just go back and attempt to download again.  Rick's server was down at the time you initially attempted the download

Thank you, Ken. You are right. Everything is now working and I was able to download the latest version.

André, it's rather a long job. I will need maybe a day or 2.

I will post the lang files here so that you give me an advice. 2 heads, 4 eyes and 20 fingers are better than less.

Il y a 13 heures , Katryne said:

André, it's rather a long job. I will need maybe a day or 2.

I will post the lang files here so that you give me an advice. 2 heads, 4 eyes and 20 fingers are better than less.

I would be more than happy to proofread it. If you are an experienced user of FGW, I would like to ask you few questions in a different channel. What would be the best way to communicate outside this thread? Merci!

Hi André ! You may write to me via mail or the internal message system of this forum.

I have not used yet FGW. I am discovering it. I was looking for an easy soluce for my contributors to add their own family searches, while I would keep control over the final adding to the base.

I just noticed that FGW is made to add new families, but not to edit an existing one.

If you are in a "translating mood", maybe you could see what you could do with FGW help files. There is one in the English folder, but none in other languages.

It will take longuer than I thought, because there are less files in French than English and less lines in the existing files. I have to check every thing, add some lines, add even some files, such as help files and in both encoding ANSI and UTF8. I can't give a deadline.