TNG Community
LJLachance

Change Wording - User Notification Email

LJLachance

So many questions - but progress is being made...

When someone submits a "user registration request", Admin gets an email saying go to your Admin to Review.  Once you approve the request, you have the option to send an email to the user notifying them that their account is active.  In this block, the admin can type out a custom message to the new user BUT there is a built-in message somewhere.  Either I'm getting too old or I just can't see anymore but - would someone kindly point me to where I can change the default text in that reply - Thanks

L

Ken Roy

Most likely in the admintext.php file using $admtext variables so it can be send if different languages.

LJLachance

Ken - there is this: $admtext['ackemail'] = "Send acknowledgement email"; telling it to send the email but nowhere in admintext.php do I find the wording.  Thanks for checking for me.

Ken Roy

What is the wording that you want to change?  Did you scan the admintext.php and alltext.php files?

LJLachance

Hi Ken, 

The wording I want to change is the Admin response to a new user telling them they have been approved and their account is ready to use.  BUT, that's all water under the bridge...I have no idea what I've done - trying to access anything TNG on my site gives me a blank page with no errors - just blank white screen with the URL in the address bar.  The last three files I made changes to were Admin_newuser.php, Admin_edituser.php, Config.php (and to make it worse, I did not intend to change anything or upload the Config.php file) so no backup.  Unless you have some insight as to why nothing shows up - I am going to stop for today and get a fresh start in the AM - At least I have backups of the stuff I've changed that worked before...  When I say nothing is showing - I mean not just the index or admin page but any page I try to access.  Anyway - Thanks for the help so far.

L

Ken Roy

Blank pages mean you have a syntax error.  Most likely one of the files you changed.

You can use your site File Manager, open the file, select all the contents and do a copy.  Go to https://www.piliapp.com/php-syntax-check/

and paste the copied content in the input field and do a syntax check to find your syntax error

LJLachance

Ken,

Well sir, it's official!  You ARE amazing!  That fixed it - somehow I added an extra <?php to the top of one of the pages.  AND, that site is now officially bookmarked!  I can't thank you enough.  The next time you are in Maine, I'll be happy to sit you down to a nice breakfast of ployes... J'aime ça des ployes!  Many thanks!

Larry

Ken Roy

You are welcome Larry,

Glad you found your problem.

We are you in Maine?  Actually, Your location shows as Jacksonville, FL

LJLachance

Ken, (et al)

I AM in Jacksonville but go up to Maine somewhat regularly (at least I used to - I'm running out of live close relatives there). 

I've got my database up and running (not to the public yet) and still have questions:

1.  I still want to change the default heading on the "Alert Message" that pops up when your password doesn't match or some of the multiple other "alert" pop-ups can't find that

2. I still want to find out where the default wording is for the email that is sent to a newly registered person after they are approved.

3. I'd like to find a way to allow a "user" to be a "contributor" or an "editor" BUT notify me that changes have been made and where/what those changes were.  Is this possible?  It appears that only "submitters" can "suggest" changes for administrative review.

4. Both you and several others have a simple "captcha" before being able to complete a user registration.  I, for the life of me, can't figure out how to add "captcha" let alone the one you are using.

5. Last part - I've been to the MODs page at wiki and I believe I need to have an account there, in addition to this one.  Is this the case?  Has wiki been updated with MODs that work with Version 12?  AND, is there a tutorial that you are aware of that explains (in detail) how to use/install MOD's?

I think that about covers it for the moment.  Without advanced PHP knowledge, this isn't as easy as I'd like it to be but I'll keep learning.  Hoping also that TNG will one day be fully capable of working with Legacy Family Tree imports as currently it does not support "Shared Events". Maybe this will come up in some future build.

I believe that's about it - hope to get my site live again sometime very soon, I've been down for two weeks redesigning the entire site (not just TNG) ... yikes!

Enjoy the day,

Larry

manofmull

Larry

I don't have V12 as yet, but it comes with a built-in captcha. You'll need to read this >

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=TNG_V12_Change_Impacts

• If you want to use the TNG_captcha.php included with TNG v12, you need to request the reCaptch v2 keys
  • If you want to use a different mod, you need to rename the distributed TNG_captcha.php

I use the image captcha add-on and don't get any spam whatsoever. Ken uses this too.

The unzipped "imcap" folder goes in the extensions folder (not mods)

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Image_Captcha_Add-on

Some mods require Wiki login but my own access details are same as for this forum.

In English UTF8 folder, alltext.php has the following

$text['loginnotsent2'] = "The e-mail address you provided does not match any user account currently on record. No information has been sent.";
$text['loginnotsent3'] = "The e-mail address and username you provided do not match any user account currently on record. No information has been sent.";

$admtext['hello'] = "Hello";
$admtext['activated'] = "Your genealogy user account has been activated.";
$admtext['infois'] = "Your login information is";
$admtext['subjectline'] = "Your genealogy user account has been activated.";

Personally, I also send out a manual email to all new registrants, which details much more about the site.

You can make new registrants submitters/contributors etc. and this will give them edit buttons. In Admin, make sure that Mail and Registration/Notify on reviewable submissions: set to "yes" (then when notified, you go to Review for people/families and action)

ALL site users/members can use the Suggest tab, irrespective of their permissions. All of my own members are "guests" only, as I detest the edit button process (guests don't see the edit buttons)

LJLachance

Thanks for the info - I'm going to have to be careful with my review of the Captcha info and will get to that later - seems a bit touchy but I'll have a go at it. 

I'm also going to have to look for the text you have noted and make my changes to see if it works for me.  I'm sure it will...just had to find it.

So, for the registrants - The only registrant category that allows a user to make a change AND the admin get notified is "submitter" otherwise it needs to be custom ...So, IF I want to allow someone access to my file AND, for instance, allow them to add children, enter dates, delete records, etc., (obviously a very trusted individual)  AND not allow those changes to take place before I see them and approve them...  I can only allow them to add data, delete data but ONLY submit edits.  If I allow edit data I don't get notified????  

As I see it, if I give someone custom rights with "Allow to add any new data" plus "Allow to delete any existing data plus "Allow to edit existing data" I do not get notified.  If I change the "existing data" part to allow to submit edits then I get notified BUT the user can't add data, for instance, children."

I hope I'm conveying properly what it is I want to do - I want someone to be able to change anything they want BUT notify me for final approval before the changes actually take effect.

As to your members being "guests" only - I do understand that and it may be the final option but I'd sure like to give my cousin or other family the rights to make changes as long as I know what was changed so that I can manually input the changes into my "real" database.

Thanks again

Larry