TNG Community

Replicating a site

Paul Barrett

Paul Barrett

I have a hosted site with Uniquely Yours Web Hosting

For a variety of reasons but mostly to do with disaster recovery I am looking to replicate the site onto my Synology NAS.

I have TNG installed and running on the NAS.  My question is, given that I have FTP access to the hosted site but NOT cpanel, to what extent can I copy my content down to my NAS just by copying  some select folders and files? (I realise there's a database issue to address here.)   I have tried GEDCOM several times which is perfect for the  text data, but even with media folders replicated using identical relative paths, I am struggling to get media links to work.  I have just concluded a long, painful but ultimately useful project to attach all the media and I don't want to have to do that again.

Without cpanel access i can't do a MySQL extract, and Heather is indisposed at the moment.

I'd be grateful of any insights you can provide please folks

Martin J Mosley

Paul, If I remember correctly, you are running TNG with WP?

If so, you can use the 'Updraft Plus' wp plugin, to backup and export your site. It will back everything up and you can use it to clone your entire site content.

John C Hannigan

Can I tag something here? I am creating a 'localhost' site in my office and want to get the updated information to a web hosted site.  How can I do that without having to make sure that I only work online.

Thank you.

John

jayat1familytree

John,

Any changes made "offline" need to be either added via gedcom or manually to your "online' site

TNG does not track changes,

so probably like many of us you will need to upload a new gedcom say once a week, or less depending on how often changes are made offline. 

Paul Barrett

John

If you have cpanel access to your hosted site there are, apparently, ways of copying the entire database and adjusting the paths.  I don't know how, but it is something I may have to investigate myself to go in the other direction. 

Paul Barrett
On 23/04/2018 at 3:56 PM, Martin J Mosley said:

Paul, If I remember correctly, you are running TNG with WP?

If so, you can use the 'Updraft Plus' wp plugin, to backup and export your site. It will back everything up and you can use it to clone your entire site content.

Well so so far so bad.  The Updraft Plus plugin looks amazing and I have been trying it out.

However, I have hit a roadblock.  The hosted site uses php 7 and whenever I try to install WordPress on my Synology NAS using  a php7 profile, the installation freezes.  If I switch to php 5.6 I can install WordPress and Updraft Plus but when I restore the backup of the hosted site it all goes pear shaped.

1. The WordPress installation only partially completes.  All pages, posts and users come across but themes and plugins don't

2. Nothing from TNG is replicated.

php7 is installed and running on the NAS - it's required for other apps that are running perfectly

So, don't know what to do next,  I have asked on several forums and await feedback.

I may have to think about using a different WordPress/TNG implementation method on my NAS.