TNG Community

Citation Master Mod v8 - Formatted Page References, New Formatting Options

Bill Herndon

Bill Herndon

I have released Citation Master versions 11.0.0.8 (TNG 11.0) , 11.1.0.8 (TNG 11.1), and 11.1.2.8 (TNG 11.1.2).

This is a major update that adds:

• Formatted page references--Generated by getperson.php and suitable for copying by other genealogists.  (Requested by Darryl Brady, Brian Larson, and Mark Middleton.)
  • A new configuration file for the APA format, and updates to all other configuration files for the new page reference feature.
  • The ability to prepend and append text to citation/source fields.  (Requested by a few users who would like to add labels like 'Page:' to certain fields.)
  • The ability to turn Citation Master's formatting engine on/off for citations, sources, references--controlled by mod parameters.  (Requested by Darryl Brady and Bill Desjardin.)
  • A new formatting instruction for inserting HTML breaks.  (Requested by Ken Roy.)
  • Improvements to the formatting engine's algorithm that eliminate some extra spacing that crept into sources and citations.
  • Internationalization for 12 languages.

In addition, the Citation Master Wiki page has been extensively updated to cover all the current features and provide additional examples and instructions on use.

This version is recommended for all TNG 11 Citation Master users.  Happy to help with any fine tuning of the configuration files.

Bill Herndon

Lindell-Herndon Genealogy

• 4 months later...

A second patch release has been posted for Citation Master v8.  Versions 11.1.2.8b (TNG 11.1.2+), 11.1.0.8b (TNG 11.1+), and 11.0.0.8, (TNG 11.0+) are available.  This version:

• Corrects an issue that prevented trailer punctuation (usually periods) from being displayed in page references
  • Fixes a compatibility issue with the Relationship Display Mod

This release also incorporates the fixes from the first patch release:

• Fixes an issue that caused duplicate citation entries under certain circumstances
  • Corrects a compatibility issue with the Display Private Notes mod

Bill Herndon

• 5 months later...
Bill Herndon

The third patch release has been posted for Citation Master v8.  Version 12.0.0.8c, exclusively for TNG 12, is available.  This version:

• Uses TNG 12 Mod Manager functionality to preserve mod parameter values across installations
  • Fixes language file string insertions to conform to TNG 12 standards

This is an optional update for TNG 12 Citation Master users.  See the Citation Master Wiki page for additional information.

Bill Herndon

Bill

Thanks for the mod update that keeps the option parameters across uninstalls / re-installs.  

• 2 weeks later...

Using Citation Manager seems to remove the thumbnail images from the Sources tab.  Is this by design?

I'm using v12.0.0.8c with TNG 12.1beta1.  Thanks.

Bill Herndon
11 minutes ago, jrueger said:

Using Citation Manager seems to remove the thumbnail images from the Sources tab.  Is this by design?

I'm using v12.0.0.8c with TNG 12.1beta1.  Thanks.

That's a hard question to answer.  When running Citation Master, sources that have attached media continue to be displayed with their thumbnails on the source display page.  (showsource.php).  I was not aware that TNG supported source media thumbnails on individual pages.  But, having said that, Citation Master was originally designed over 5 years ago, and I certainly might have missed a TNG enhancement or two added since then. 

Can you be more specific?

Thanks,

Bill Herndon

Bill,

I think media attached to source citations is relatively new to TNG.  In fact there are still fixes being rolled out for media attached to citations in TNG 12.1

Note that I do not attach any media to sources or citations, so the person reporting this will need to provide more details.  TNG 12.1 has also been posted as generally available, although only thos who register for the announcement list (tnguser@) would have received the notice

Just my 5 cents: I suffered the media inclusion and I'm now using one of the source mods (Regroup Person Sources in my case) with as first and most important goal to eliminate the thumbnails in the sources section...

I think that it would ge a good idea for mod developers to include a switch on/off option for the thumbs...

I suppose I suffer from media inclusion because often the original source contains an error (often in transcription) and having access to the image of the source helps prove that what I record is correct. I won't get involved in the source vs citation debate.

Here is what I was referring to in my post earlier.  This is the Individual - source tab without Citation Manager:

image.png

And here is the same thing with Citation Manager:

image.png

The specific images generally come from Ancestry via RootsMagic but I also add images directly to RootsMagic and upload to TNG via a GEDCOM upload and image upload to the Photos folder.  The Media tab/folder isn't used very much.

With Citation Manager I can't find any way to view the image associated with the source/citation.  Looking at all the Sources doesn't include the image, and looking in Photos doesn't include any source or citation information, only a Linked To which isn't particularly helpful if I am trying to find the image for the specific source/citation.

If it matters
I'm also using the following Mods:

image.png

Bill Herndon

Jeff,

So...Citation Master's core functionality hasn't been updated since TNG 11.1.2 when I released v8.  Since then it's just been patches.  My guess is that media image display for citations on individual pages is a feature introduced sometime after TNG 11.1.2--probably with TNG 12, as Ken Roy suggested.

With Citation Master installed, click through to the source page (the hyperlink on the source number).  That page is generated by showsource.php, and you should be able to find the image thumbnail linked as a "document".

I'm not planning a new feature release for Citation Master at the current time, and I have to admit that I personally don't find image thumbnails accompanying citations to be very useful.  (For sources...however, I think the media links are very important.)  I'll put this on my backlog of stuff to think about, but I'm not likely to get to it in the near future.  Perhaps in the summertime, when I'm a little less busy.

k/r

Bill Herndon

I certainly didn't expect this to be resolved or anything.  For me it was more a curiosity than a problem and I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong. Many thanks for all your Mods and work supporting them.

• 7 months later...

Jeff,

I finally am getting back to this question about the source media, but on my own sites regardless of whether or not Citation Master is installed, none of the attached media are displayed in the manner you demonstrated below.  I have about 3000 source with linked media.  Is there a TNG setting that I'm not aware of?  Did you have a mod installed that supports displaying source media in citations?

I'll delve into the TNG code next, but was hoping that you might have some insight to help get started in solving this issue.

Thanks,

Bill Herndon

---- cut here ----

I suppose I suffer from media inclusion because often the original source contains an error (often in transcription) and having access to the image of the source helps prove that what I record is correct. I won't get involved in the source vs citation debate.

Here is what I was referring to in my post earlier.  This is the Individual - source tab without Citation Manager:

image.png

And here is the same thing with Citation Manager:

• 6 months later...
Bill Herndon

The fourth patch release has been posted for Citation Master v8.  Version 12.0.0.8d, exclusively for TNG 12, is available.  This version:

• Corrects an issue where source entries with the same identifier across multiple trees could be referenced incorrectly;
  • Adds caching for source format specifications to improve performance and reduce memory consumption.

I recommend this update for all TNG 12.0 and later users.  I also have a backport for the last TNG 11 release but don't plan on publishing it unless there is interest from the TNG community.  (Reply here or let me know if you'd like the backport.)

See the Citation Master Wiki page for additional information.

Bill Herndon