TNG Community
hughm

Set up server on USB drive - Is it possible?

hughm

Hi TNG guru's... I am not the most savvy computer guy, so please be patient :) I currently am running TNG on a server and am at the point I no longer need/want the online service. I would like to put my TNG site on a Thumb drive so it is portable no matter what computer I am using. Is this possible and where to start.

Thanks in advance

Newfloridian

Yes it is.

You could try looking at the TNG downloads page (you will need your TNG username and password for that facility) and then look in the section:

Add-ons for Integrating TNG with Other Systems

and the subsection:

TNG Extras

Third or fourth entry down is entitled: TNG on a USB drive. Has full instructions

I have had it working in the past but have superceded it by installing TNG under Wampserver 64 on a laptop (without internet access)

Alan

Kare

Is there a way of installing TNG under Wampserver on an USB flash drive?

Newfloridian

As far as I can tell and with some communication with the Wampserver forums I think not. I could look out the reference to the thread I raised with them on that subject if of interest

DelG
15 hours ago, Chris Lloyd said:

Heres a link to an old way of perhaps doing what you want:

https://willtan.com/installing-xampp-on-usb-flash-drive/

This works! I just installed Xampp on flash drive - with TNG installed the total storage used (before uploading a gedcom or media) is about 400mb. I have Windows v10 64bit and installed the 32bit v. of Xampp portable.

xampp-portable-win32-1.8.2-6-VC9-installer.exe

Chris Lloyd

Well done Del :)  Great possibility for a bacvk up.

Kare

Can Xampp be installed on a laptop and the folders then copied from the laptop to a flash drive?  ... or must it be installed and updated/maintained in two separate locations - on the laptop and on the flash drive?

Newfloridian

Just one thought. With all the regular hoo-hah from the boys at PHP and their incessant rush to keep upgrading the damned system, how does  xampp-either version keep up with the upgrades? The main reason I dropped Usbserver which is behind the app on the downloads page was because it was stuck at PHP5.4 with no obvious upgrade route. At least Wampserver does offer frequent upgrade modules currently at 7.1.x

Alan

Chris Lloyd
1 hour ago, Kare said:

Can Xampp be installed on a laptop and the folders then copied from the laptop to a flash drive?  ... or must it be installed and updated/maintained in two separate locations - on the laptop and on the flash drive?

As I understand it the installation is done twice - once on each platform. After that copying files across should be simple.

Kare

Thank you Chris,

I am looking for a portable system that can be installed once, on a PC/laptop, and where the system and TNG folders can be copied to as many flash drives as I need (without having to install the system on each flash drive)

Newfloridian

You could certainly do that with MoWeSII and with USBwebserver which powered TNG on a USB drive. I installed them both originally on my PC, synchronised them with my TNG website installation and then copied the whole installed PC folder to each of three USB drives.

The trick which Frans Erich configured into the TNG on a USB drive was to make the system independent of the drive letter. I gather that is the main stumbling block in trying the same with Wampserver. I don't know about Xampp.

Alan

bhemph

Xampp does have the drive letter needing to be set issue.  There was just a simple change that was needed to make that change.  I don't remember what it is right off, but I think I posted it to the question of how to change the drive letter made on the tngusers mailing list so you could check the archives.

boonie67

hughm,

I have wamp installed on pc and use the tng on usb which Allen referred to, wamp is the best if used on pc for backup and testing however, tng on usb is great for portability. To use this as jump drive change config.php file on line 53   

.change this: $rootpath = "C:/Users/name/Documents/root/";   

to this: $rootpath = "F:/root/";     line 53 change F: to your drive letter. Wrong drive letter has errors.

These two are my favorites, and both backup great. UwAmp installs server on pc.

Don't know about xampp.

jeff g

Hi!

With xampp or Fran's , you can install the lastest version of TNG 12 on a portable drive?

p.s. i didnt see Fran's available as a download as of this post...link goes to an empty file

Thanks!

Jeff :)