TNG Community

Use remote media files

Rob van Rij

Rob van Rij

I’m looking for a mod or solution to use remote media files instead of having to store these files in a directory on my host. Because extra hosting provider storage is expensive I want to offload the media files to either my NAS or my OneDrive. Who knows how to enable TNG to use remote media files or is aware of an existing mod.

kind regards

Rob

jayat1familytree

Storage costs should not be an issue, I would look for other ISP host.

Rob van Rij

It is not only the cost but also the fact that the majority 100+ GB of media files are available publicly.

So why copy and store if a link is possible?

Just because it is available publicly today does not mean it will be in the future, I have dozens of relations whos headstone images no longer appear on find a grave when they did at one time. 

On 29/3/2018 at 6:03 PM, Rob van Rij said:

I’m looking for a mod or solution to use remote media files instead of having to store these files in a directory on my host. Because extra hosting provider storage is expensive I want to offload the media files to either my NAS or my OneDrive. Who knows how to enable TNG to use remote media files or is aware of an existing mod.

TNG allows this now if the files on your NAS or OneDrive have a unique URL to each file - you can put that into the box for "Media URL" after you've checked the box "This media comes from an external source (you must supply your own thumbnail"

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 8.06.22 PM.png

Roger

jayat1familytree

Thats all well and good if you are entering data directly into TNG.

What is REALLY needed is a Flag that would create the media item with the external link when TNG is importing a gedcom.

Rob van Rij

When using the url link option as described above does not work for me as expected.

when I use this, the image is not automatically shown in the media viewer. There is a button that you need to click to load the image. I want it to show it as if the file was stored on the server.

Rob