TNG Community
Bill Herndon

A Question for Citation Master Users - Formatted Page References?

Bill Herndon

A TNG user recently posted an idea for a new mod on the TNG users list.  He requested APA formatted citations for the pages generated from getperson.php.  I responded that Citation Master could produce that pretty easily and generated a couple of Citation Master v8 release candidates that incorporate the feature.  As currently coded, the feature produces an additional section just above the citations that looks like (APA format):

Reference:     Herndon, William Robert. (2018, March 4). Donald Crain Herndon. TNG 11.0.1 Website. Retrieved from http://localhost:3030/getperson.php?personID=I2092&tree=tngtest

The IEEE format looks like this:

Reference:     Herndon, William Robert. "Donald Crain Herndon," TNG 11.0.1 Website, March 4, 2018. [Online]. Available: http://localhost:3030/getperson.php?personID=I2092&tree=tngtest

The idea being that your site's users could copy this reference from your site to theirs or for incorporation as a source in their own genealogy database.

Here's the issue:  At least one interested TNG user (and perhaps others) would like this feature without the bulk of Citation Master's other features, but I need Citation Master's internal formatting engine to make this work.  The easiest way to make that happen would be to split Citation Master into two mods:  One for the features, one for the formatting engine.  I'd then create a new 'Page Reference' mod that would also depend on the formatting engine.

So...the question for Citation Master's users:  Would you still use the Citation Master if it were split in two, so that you'd have to install both the feature mod and the formatting engine mod?

Let me make clear that I think this is a cool feature, but my existing users come first.  So I'll figure out an alternative if splitting Citation Master isn't the preferred way to go.

Thanks for your input and suggestions.

Bill Herndon

Lindell-Herndon Genealogy

Bill Desjardin

I just installed Citation Master yesterday.  I think it is great the way it is.  I would like to suggest that the new feature be added to the current mod, but that the new feature and current feature be selectable.  Check boxes could be added to the options setup page to separately enable/disable each feature.  Then a user could install a single mod, and have the choice of using one or the other feature, or both.

Bill Herndon

I have posted Citation Master v8, release candidate 2.  This candidate includes the page reference feature along with new options to enable/disable page references, citation modifications, and source modifications.  You can choose a source from your database the data from which will be made available to the formatting engine for page references.  In addition, the formatting engine now supports 'prepend' and 'append' for specifying additional text to accompany an entry (...and these can be used with any tag).  A new configuration file is provided for the APA citation format style, and this format was used to test the page reference feature.  IEEE ('ieee') and Chicago Manual of Style formats ('cmos') have been updated to include format instructions for page references as well.  So you can test out different formats.

Initially, the release candidate is provided for TNG 11.1.2.  If there's interest I may be able to provide a release candidate for TNG 11.0 and 11.1.

Suggestions are always appreciated.  I'm planning to release Citation Master v8 in about a week or two. (Once I've worked out which language files I'll support.)  But in the meantime, the release candidate is live on Lindell-Herndon Genealogy.

Bill Herndon

Lindell-Herndon Genealogy

Ken Roy

Bill,

Are there any options to tailor how the Reference is displayed?

I entered a name for $citem_author  but it is not being displayed as part of the Reference row.  Name entered was "Ken Roy"

Reference row shows

"Kenneth Claude Roy." TNG 11 - Roy and Boucher. http://localhost/tng/getperson.php?personID=I46&tree=T0001 (accessed March 30, 2018)

Have you considered using the TNG site owner as well as the site name similar to my User Footer Copyright mod which displays

Our Acadian, French-Canadian, and Maine Ancestors - Created and maintained by Ken Roy Copyright © 2005-2018 All rights reserved.

Bill Herndon

Ken,

All the data that supports the page references comes from one of three sources and is mapped to TAGS that can be used in formatting instructions in the same way they're used for citations and sources.  I should have probably provided the instructions that I sent out with RC1...they are in the cutout below:

---- cut here ---

The feature requires a configuration to describe the page reference format, and I will supply an example that copies the APA format as closely as I can manage.  Fields supported by the feature are identified in the configuration file according to the following bindings to custom GEDCOM tags:

_RNAM => Individual's name as it appears on the page for which the reference is generated
_RAUT =>  Site 'author', which is set in mod parameters ($citem_author)
_RTTL =>  Site name, set by the TNG global config variable ($sitename)
_RURL =>  Page URL, derived from the PHP '_SYSTEM' global array
_RCDT =>  Current date-time, which can be formatted using a PHP format specification (See the Wiki for details)

In addition, one can specify a single source ID in mod parameters to make those fields available as well.  So, for example, if that source had a 'publisher' field (GEDCOM: PUBL), then that field could be used in the format instructions.  (I intend to use this myself to make the general source that references my TNG site and database available to the reference feature since that has my publisher information and copyright notice.)
---- cut here ----

There might be a bug, but I am using _RAUT on Lindell-Herndon Genealogy, and I'm pretty sure I included it in all of the example format instruction sets--in other words APA, IEEE, and CMoS.  $sitename is already supported, but I suspect you're referring to the site title that is supported by the templates.  That would be tricky because the templates are not consistent on how they use those variables.  Nor are TNG users consistent on how they distribute title elements across those variables.

Let me know if you can't get the reference feature working with the variables listed above.  A first test would be to change the configuration file to citem_config_apa.php.

k/r

Bill Herndon

Bill Herndon

Citation Master v8, release candidate 3 has been posted.  This RC corrects a few issues with the example citation styles (Chicago Manual of Style (CMoS) specifically) and adds support for 12 languages.  The languages supported are:  Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish.  I could really use a review of my translations which appear on pages:

• showsource.php - The label for the source's formatted example
  • getperson.php - The label for page reference

Please check out the .cfg file for all of the translations.  Although this update is live on Lindell-Herndon Genealogy, my TNG site only supports 6 of the 12 included languages. 

I hoping this will be the last release candidate for Citation Master v8 and intend to start updating the Wiki page in next day or two.  As always, suggestions are appreciated.

Bill Herndon