TNG Community

DNA tests - Remember to read the fine print

stores

Actually no, while I have had an ancestry subscription for many, many years, I do not keep a tree on Ancestry and I do all my DNA tests at FTDNA. Just thought others might like the article.

That said, I learned many years back after seeing genealogy.com, which is owned by Ancestry, selling peoples trees on the "World Family Tree" CD's that keeping a tree on an online site like Ancestry is asking for trouble.

Have never! been a fan of ancestry.com. They have for years been buying up genealogy services and websites and, of course, requiring membership fees to access. I've always posted my gedcom on rootsweb.com (w/o sources listed) and have had many folks contact me, as a result. Also, I've posted many times on the surname forums and have found lots of good info ther. Then ancestry bought rootsweb, too and recently they 'overhauled' that site while simultaneously denying access. After their enhancements you now have to buy a subscription! When they bought findagrave.com, they benefited from all the hard work of thousands of volunteers and did not so much as offer a free subscription to them.

Ancestry.com is bad for genealogy and I recommend no one support them.

I have to admit that as a source of reference I use Findmypast - I find it much easier to navigate and extremely comprehensive. The main (?only) reason I keep an Ancestry subscription alive is that the main UK Parish Record archives of interest to me are split between them and FMP. I "commune" on Rootschat and maintain my web access on TNG. Has served me well over the years.

8 hours ago, Newfloridian said:

I have to admit that as a source of reference I use Findmypast - I find it much easier to navigate and extremely comprehensive. The main (?only) reason I keep an Ancestry subscription alive is that the main UK Parish Record archives of interest to me are split between them and FMP. I "commune" on Rootschat and maintain my web access on TNG. Has served me well over the years.

I'm in the same boat and maintain both subs at present.

tobias.kemper

The article (from May 2017) has a lot been discussed in different group. The statement "According to its privacy policies, Ancestry.com takes ownership of your DNA forever." is not right. Please inform in the FB DNA groups or read related blog posts.