TNG Community

linking TWO database

kamal

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if the answer to my question has been asked already.

Here is my situation.   Both my father-in-law and I have been running TNG for a number of years now as "separate" sites. I have a copy of his  DB/tree running on my server. I'm looking for a way to link two DB/trees together, is this possible?  I would like to be able run the  "ancestors' chart so that it pulls from both databases.  My Tree has ~1,000 entries and his ~12,000.  ( I don't want to merge them at this time.) 

If it is possible link them,  is there  also way to create an  "external link" to  his site so that I don't have to import his DB to reflect any changes?  

Thanks,

K

Hi,

1 hour ago, kamal said:

I would like to be able run the  "ancestors' chart so that it pulls from both databases.  

As far as TNG is concerned, I'm quite sure the data not only needs to be on the same database, but also on the same tree within the TNG program to create the ancestor charts.

1 hour ago, kamal said:

If it is possible link them,  is there  also way to create an  "external link" to  his site so that I don't have to import his DB to reflect any changes?  

An external link to any website is easy enough.... https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp

Thanks Merv, 

Too bad there isn't a way to link trees together.

re: External link

Can you give me example on how to link within TNG.    I would like to link my Wife's record  from my server  to her Dad's server.   I can't see any obvious place to create a link within her record, what I am missing?  

Thanks,

Kamal 

35 minutes ago, kamal said:

re: External link

Can you give me example on how to link within TNG.    I would like to link my Wife's record  from my server  to her Dad's server.   I can't see any obvious place to create a link within her record, what I am missing?  

Hi, What you could to link your wife's record on your site and her record on her Dad's is to put the link in the notes section on both sites.

Others here may have other advice.

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 17.05.12.png Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 17.06.29.png

Stores,

Thanks, I'll check out the mod.  

I've never added any mods to my site, I've always been concerned about upgrades breaking things in the future.  Is this a valid concern?

Kamal 

I personally uninstall the mods before a upgrade, leaving the mod install files in the MOD directory. Then after upgrade, if the mod is still relevant, I reinstall it. I say relevant because from time to time some mods do get incorporated into future versions of TNG.

Also, keep in mind it is a web page so you can add html code to change font type or color as well as many other things in note fields as well as other fields.

13 hours ago, kamal said:

I've never added any mods to my site, I've always been concerned about upgrades breaking things in the future.  Is this a valid concern?

I agree with Jim. Mods can be your friend, if you take precautions. Foremost, before any TNG upgrade/update, you should know what your host server provides in the way of full 'system' backups.  Usually they are available going back several days.  This is only necessary as a last resort, but you should be aware of it. 

Next, it is wise to uninstall all mods, thereby focusing only on the native TNG upgrade.  Then, if the upgrade looks to be successful, begin reinstalling mods, one by one, so that if any have some sort of error preventing install, you may focus on what in the TNG upgrade impacted that mod.  Check on the TNG Wiki, often developers have already encountered the same problem and have released a new version.  If not, let the mod's author know, and proceed installing the rest of the mods.  Mods are optional, so one can always wait until the author issues a new version of the problem mod.  Follow these simple rules, and fear not, mod's will not get in the way  of TNG and it's upgrades, and instead will enhance your TNG experience.

Ron