TNG Community

Newbie Questions

GaryK4

I have my site started on a local Raspberry PI 3 computer and I am making OK progress.
My first impression is that it is not as intuitive as I would like.

1. Is it possible to have the site totally private until a user logs in?
  2. Adding photo's seem a little strange to me. I upload a number of images by drag and drop. Then I find the person and add media. I select the file and let TNG make the thumbnail.
    This works OK, except when I see (2) items for the picture. One is linked to the person and the other is not. It does contain the image name under Title. After linking, I delete this duplicate. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
  3. Curious label: When I edit a person there are option at the top. One being Test. It brings up (8) tabs (individual, Family, Ancestors, etc.)  It is not very intuitive.
    If you select the Family tab, it shows (3) tabs and the other selections disappear. You must hit the back key to get back. The other tabs do not do this.

Items 1-2 are the most important for me to move forward.

Update: I did figure out how to set the default image for charts, etc

3 hours ago, GaryK4 said:

If you select the Family tab, it shows (3) tabs and the other selections disappear. You must hit the back key to get back. The other tabs do not do this.

This is the very reason that I am staying with TNG v10

Hopefully by V12 they will have it sorted :)

Well if you all do not report this to Darrin as an issue, it likely will not be fixed in TNG v12.  Darrin does not monitor the forum for problems.  It is a user to user help forum

Adding photo's seem a little strange to me. I upload a number of images by drag and drop. Then I find the person and add media. I select the file and let TNG make the thumbnail.
This works OK, except when I see (2) items for the picture. One is linked to the person and the other is not. It does contain the image name under Title. After linking, I delete this duplicate. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

The process I use is to go to the "person's page" that the media will be added to first then add it there (Edit>> Add Media) which automatically links the media item to the person.

There is a mod that adds a Add Media link to "person pages" which bypasses the Edit stage.... https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Add_Media_Innermenu

Others here may have their own processes.

7 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Well if you all do not report this to Darrin as an issue, it likely will not be fixed in TNG v12.  Darrin does not monitor the forum for problems.  It is a user to user help forum

In my case, I don't know what is an issue or a newbie learning process. I don't want to cry wolf.

My Item #1 is the most important to me.

22 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

I think this response was directed toward me? I understand that Darrin is aware of this issue...

Is it possible to have the site totally private until a user logs in?

Yes.

Admin>> Set Up>> General Settings>> Privacy>> Require Login (set to YES)>> Save.

More detailed information in the Help for this area tab on that page.

1 minute ago, Merv said:

Yes.

Admin>> Set Up>> General Settings>> Privacy>> Require Login (set to YES)>> Save.

More detailed information in the Help for this area tab on that page.

I looked at that and I have it set. However, there is still an icon and link to Public Home. I am looking at the php code to see if I can remove it.

8 minutes ago, GaryK4 said:

I looked at that and I have it set. However, there is still an icon and link to Public Home. I am looking at the php code to see if I can remove it.

If you want to restrict access to the homepage then I don't think that is possible or at least, not really advisable. Your potential uses still need a place to land so that they can see what the site is all about before registering and/or logging in.

15 minutes ago, Merv said:

If you want to restrict access to the homepage then I don't think that is possible or at least, not really advisable. Your potential uses still need a place to land so that they can see what the site is all about before registering and/or logging in.

In the beginning, I just want to create a site for family collaboration. I have many family members working with different software and we should pool our resources. Some in text files, desktop applications, ancestry.com, etc. So, at the moment, I do't care about potential users. 

I think the only way you can restrict access to your  homepage is to make a simple login screen your index.php, which, if the user logs in, is then directed to your homepage with real content.  This would, of course, in a somewhat non-traditional way, restrict access to any homepage content until a user logs in.

Ron

Yes, you could do something similar to this site https://www.craxford-family.co.uk/ where the net would just see a book or something then after hitting enter, you would have to log in to go further or just have a somewhat blank home page with just the log in as Ron suggests.

If you want to make the login page your homepage you can set this up in administration...

Admin>> Set up>>  General Settings>> Site Design and Definition>> Homepage (set to login.php)>> Save.

This should also negate anyone being able to access the standard homepage (index.php) unless they do so manually.

2 hours ago, Merv said:

Admin>> Set up>>  General Settings>> Site Design and Definition>> Homepage (set to login.php)>> Save.

Merv,

I tested that out, and it should satisfy Gary's needs quite nicely.  Even though, depending on the template, a dropdown menu bar appears,but no worries since they are not functional until the user logs in.

Ron

34 minutes ago, Merv said:

If you want to make the login page your homepage you can set this up in administration...

This should also negate anyone being able to access the standard homepage (index.php) unless they do so manually.

I did make some other privacy changes along with this. It appears to be doing what I want.

Thank you all for the help.

57 minutes ago, stores said:

Yes, you could do something similar to this site https://www.craxford-family.co.uk/

I agree Jim.  Alan Craxford's website intro would be bit more elegant to see a book cover before logging in and  'turning the page', rather than just a blank login page. With a bit more work, could be a nice solution.

Ron

• 4 months later...

I think I've found a way to solve Gary's question no. 1. 

I made a totally new file that I called index2.php. I took all the code from index.php, so index2.php was identical to index.php.

Then I made this change:
Admin>> Set up>>  General Settings>> Site Design and Definition>> Homepage (set to index2.php)>> Save.

Finally I copied all the code in login.php and pasted it into index.php

I think that these changes provide for the kind of site privacy that Gary looked for.

I hope I haven't done any unvisible damage or risk doing this, but it works.

Jesper