TNG Community

new install wont generate any horizontal charts

ceshelman

Hi,  I just finished the install TNG and imported a Gedcom file from Rootsmagic.  When I try to display a horizontal chart, I just get a spinning icon.  If I with to text, to vertical, the chart shows up fine.  The site is integrated with word press but I have the issue whether or not I access the page from within Wordpress.  My Wordpress theme is causing some other issues such as the PDF button to not work and for the number of generations drop down to act erratically but those issues go away when I access the TNG site direct.  The chart issue does not go away when viewed direct.

Running TNG 11.1.2. 

You can see the issue here:

http://www.eshelman.org/tng/pedigree.php?personID=I456&tree=1&parentset=0&display=standard&generations=4

And here is the same page only vertical:

http://www.eshelman.org/tng/verticalchart.php?personID=I456&tree=1&parentset=0&display=vertical&generations=4

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Carl

jayat1familytree

looks like something is wrong with your pedigree.php  file.

You might try uploading a new one to the server.

12 hours ago, ceshelman said:

Try uploading a new copy of tngpedigree.js  that in the js folder - or even upload a new copy of all of the files in the js folder.

Roger

7 hours ago, Merv said:

Hi, Try removing the Wordpress from the server all together.

The issue is nothing to do with WordPress - this is quite unhelpful suggestion.

For example this page in the WordPress environment works as expected.

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

Have not had time to work on this for a while.  Getting back at it.  Tried replacing the tngpedigree.js.  Nothing changed.  I can still display vertical trees but not any of the horizontal trees.

May I suggest that you take your TNG install back to the basics (without Wordpress or any other modifications) to see if the charts work in that environment.

If they do, then implement these back into the server one-by-one to see which of them may be affecting the charts.

The JavaScript Console still is indicating an error in the tngpedigree.js file

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 8.36.33 AM.png

I think it's referring to the file that tngpedigree.js is processing, but I don't know what that file is.

You might need to write to Darrin to ask him what is happening that's causing this

Roger

I take your comment "You might need to write to Darrin to ask him what is happening that's causing this" to mean that he does not monitor these forums.  How do I email/copntact him directly?  I had assumed these forums were for exactly that purpose.

Thanks,
Carl.

7 hours ago, ceshelman said:

I take your comment "You might need to write to Darrin to ask him what is happening that's causing this" to mean that he does not monitor these forums.  How do I email/copntact him directly?  I had assumed these forums were for exactly that purpose.

No, Darrin does not monitor these forums. You can send an eMail to darrin@lythgoes.net to reach him directly

Roger

Darrin Lythgoe

The problem here is that all the place names in ceshelman's data have hard returns (or carriage returns) at the end. For example:

{"personID":"I358","tree":"1","backperson":"I461","gender":"M","name":"George Albert Shields","famc":"F77","photosrc":"","photolink":"-1","babbr":"B","bdate":"23 Dec 1853","bplace":"Morrow, Warren County, Ohio
","dabbr":"D","ddate":"5 Jul 1918","dplace":"Yamhill County, Oregon, USA
",
"spfams":[{"spID":"I359","spname":"Sarah Louhettie Shields","spFamID":"F76"}
]}

The line breaks after "Ohio" and "USA" show what I'm talking about. Those characters are invalidating the JSON, and that's causing the pedigree to hang. Eliminate these characters from the gedcom file and re-import.

Oh, so I have seen that before myself too then ages ago - I think it came about because of a GEDCOM export from Reunion into TNG where I didn't have the right line ending chosen in the TNG settings, so it left the carriage return or line feed on the end of the place names causing something to break.

Roger