TNG Community

My kingdom for a post-like page

Darryl

Hi,

Do any of you know how to create an addendum page? Look at my site, if you don't mind.  www.crumgenealogy.com  at the principle picture and text under FEATURED FAMILY MEMBER.  I am using template 15 and what I am trying to do is to continue the text with a READ MORE link from the text on the homepage to a new page that is not unlike a POST page in Wordpress.  I would classify it under Histories, BUT I want the READ MORE link to go the POST PAGE for that person or persons.

What am I doing wrong that I cannot find a way to create a page that has only the primary menu and then the text and images?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Darryl

Edited by theKiwi
Made link clickable

Darryl,

Find in the TNG Wiki how to create extra pages.

I often find it quite useful to look at how others have created a feature you like - see my website at: https://ourfamilysaga.com/featured-articles.php

Assuming you have a browser with Developer Tools, you can look at the underlying html coding to see how to accomplish what it is you'd like to recreate.

I Googled 'selectable font size' which will provide you with numerous discussion threads and approaches to  your problem. This post may be one of many which is on-point to your inquiry. As well, there are multiple free online resources to help you learn coding (html, css, javascript, etc), such as: W3schools.

Also, as discussed many many times in these forums [see TNG Wiki also], it is recommended to also install TNG on your localserver with the use of programs such as a WAMPServer which will allow you to have a test-bed with which to experiment with site & page designs, etc; after which, you can upload your new or tweaked pages to your host.

Finally, the U.S. Government (and other countries) has researched exhaustively the issue of 'accessibility, usability and web design' so why not look there for self-education resources and possible applications to your own site.

Good luck!

Thank you so much DeIG.

I put code in the actual text to increase the size but there simply was not a Cinderella solution because the browser would not show fractional sizes in px or em.  So, I would either go too small for my old eyes and the old eyes of all my old relatives or so large it looked like I was pandering to old people with old eyes (okay, not that bad but too large to be a good visual).  I will look at your site and check the code for the pages and I will go to the sites you spoke of. I think my problem is that I want this site to be as manageable as a Wordpress site, but nothing in Wordpress is this good so.  

Have a good day and thanks for the advice and wish for good luck . . . I think I need both.

Regards,

Darryl

13 hours ago, DelG said:

Darryl,

Find in the TNG Wiki how to create extra pages.

I often find it quite useful to look at how others have created a feature you like - see my website at: https://ourfamilysaga.com/featured-articles.php

Assuming you have a browser with Developer Tools, you can look at the underlying html coding to see how to accomplish what it is you'd like to recreate.

Oh, wait, already, I like the choice of the word  Biographies.  Looks like I have some thinking to do. It seems like a more appropriate word for what I want to do. I am 70 and my grandmother, born in 1882,  was old when I was a child, but I remember so much about her - her home, her life in Crowley's Ridge, and I want to create a family narrative that is more about the people and less about names, dates, places, and events.  My grandmother was this small, unassuming woman who lived as primal as anyone I've ever known and DeIG, her 5th Great Grandmother was Mary Jefferson - 1st cousin to Pres. Thomas Jefferson. I want to honor who my grandmother was so future generations will be able to know something about her other than that she was born on this date, in this state, got married on this date and had these children.  Somehow, that just doesn't seem to be enough. Biographies - you nailed it for me.

Thank you.

I think you need to look at historytemplate.php - the basis for custom added Feature Articles.

The mainstay of my own website (which is built purely using template4 and the above mentioned file) is my Family History magazine which consists of nearly 500 interlinked fully illustrated articles about people, places and significant events affecting our 400 year history. You can gain access from the link in the footer (but also sent you a PM containing link to a recent article we also published in a local FHS magazine

Alan

It seems, after spending several days trying to build a site to my liking, TNG is beyond my skill set.  

Guess, I will just consider my efforts at TNG a failed experiment and the purchase of the software a waste of money.  I guess I will look for something a little more user friendly so I can do my genealogical research and not spend my days and nights trying to figure out how to create the site.

Thank you for your post.

Regards,

Darryl

TNG does not require that you do all the other stuff you were trying to do in order to create a genealogy web site.   Get TNG up an running before you try to do all this other stuff you want to do with a web site.

See the TNG Wiki articles in the Getting Started Guide

Edited:  Do you also need to complicate things by using WordPress?

No, but I know Wordpress and can build nice sites with it. 

I have been trying to prove to myself that I can produce a site that looks like a narrative with data supporting it, instead of a front end of a repository. What I had accomplished prior to loading Wordpress and trying that approach was little more than the front end of a database. As a writer, my goal is to write a story - to capture the lives of the people I knew closely - so that generations after me would know the person and not just some facts about date, place, and event. 

For now, I give up.  Maybe, I will try again later, but it is my opinion that the templates should include one blank template page designed purely for entering text and photos with a strong text editor and then allow us to save that page (or post) by name and linked under a BIOGRAPHIES category. 

Have a good day and thank you for the good advice.

Regards.

DG Crum

Hi Darryl,

But that's EXACTLY what historytemplate.php is for.  My whole site is built using this feature. I don't use Wordpress (or for that matter) any other adjunct. I now have nearly 500 interlinked "biographies" of my family - people and places - divided into sections based on the branch of the family concerned. These "user added" biographies or Feature Articles are separate from but intimately associated with the underlying database (as far as I want them to be) and everything else which TNG provides. I doubt you will find another geneaology / family history website generator which holds a candle to Darrin's masterpiece.

The following is the link to my main landing page - again built using historytemplate.php. I invite you to browse through the various sections and see how articles can be interlinked. You won't have to go anywhere near the database or the TNG display pages - unless you want to. This shows just how flexible an environment this is - if you are prepared to put in a little effort and a little learning.

The Extended Craxford Family Web Site

Cheers Alan

Can someone please delete my threads. I've deleted TNG and decided to try a more design friendly software. I'm not sure whether I can, but apparently TNG is not for me.

Thank you for the help.

Darryl