TNG Community
Drake

Group photo for Default Picture

Drake

This has been asked before, but I have never seen a good answer.   I have several group photos of people.    How can I get just part of a group photo to display as a the default photo for an individual?

manofmull

You may have to treat the photos separately i.e. make copies of the group photos, edit (crop) them to the image you want, rename and upload. Each cropped image can be made default for the person assigned. I've done this with dozens of group pics.

Drake

I was trying to avoid having to crop photos.  On Ancestry.Com, you can select part of the picture for the profile picture. I guess I need to submit an enhancement request.

Merv

Hi,

I use the Windows Snipping Tool to crop for a persons default profile pic. In fact all my profile pictures are cropped. The charts just seem to work better.

You could still have the original pic on their profile/individual page if you like. You may even choose to image map them with the different people in the photo.

RickGleason

I am cropping photos all the time. An enhancement allowing you to do it from within TNG would be a great feature.

Chris Lloyd

When you are installing or editing an image there is the provision to use an image map which allows to select an area of an image that will link to an individual. It may be possible to use just that portion as the default image.

RickGleason

Thank you, Chris Lloyd... how does one access the image map? And, can a single uploaded photo be used as a group as well as individual photo?

Merv
2 hours ago, RickGleason said:

how does one access the image map?

Hi, It's on the photo's  Edit Media page. Scroll down to the Image Map section (you may have to expand the section).

2 hours ago, RickGleason said:

And, can a single uploaded photo be used as a group as well as individual photo?

Although in theory this is possible, TNG currently isn't set up for this as far as I know. Maybe something Darrin could be interested in for the next version release?

RickGleason

Oh, of course, now I see it! Not sure how I missed it... guess I didn't scroll far enough down. Obvious once you see it, but since starting my site last September, and despite thousands of visits to this page, I never even noticed it.

Thank you.

Frans Erich
On 2/15/2018 at 2:28 AM, Chris Lloyd said:

When you are installing or editing an image there is the provision to use an image map which allows to select an area of an image that will link to an individual. It may be possible to use just that portion as the default image.

This would be a very nice way of dealing with it. I ‘m in favor of it.

Ken Roy

Frans,

I do not believe this is possible.  See Media - Default Images  I select individual images from a group photo and save the cropped image using the old way of naming default photos.