TNG Community

Problems importing geo-codes from Legacy 9.0

Morten Solberg

Morten Solberg

During export via Gedcom from Legacy 9.0, I'm having trouble transferring geo-codes to TNG. I have examined the Gedcom-files, but cannot find latitudes or latitudes in the file ( and of course they are not shown in TNG after import, either). I have tried different sets of setups from Legacy (Legacy file and Gedcom 5.5), but when I examine the Gedcom-files, none of these have info on geo coordinates.

If anyone out there can help a panicking Norwegian, I would greatly appreciate your feedback!

Best regards

Morten

Hi Morten

I'm not actually a Legacy 9 user but I do have a copy for evaluation purposes. I just tried exporting the Sample Family Tree using both options of "Legacy" and "Gedcon 5.5.1" and in both gedcom files produced they contained the Lat and Long. I then loaded both into TNG and had no problem with displays the infomation.

Best regards

Rick

Morten Solberg

Hi Rick
Many thanks for the answer. I think this is very strange. I am tempted to ask if you can check in the Gedcom file which "names" Lat and Long are marked with? You see this if you open the file in, for example, Notepad ++.

What character set did you use in Legacy when you created the Gedcom file? I am using UTF-8, but can not understand that this is important for data on geo encoding in gedcom file.
Thank you very much!

Best regards

Morten

jayat1familytree

Morten,

Not sure why,  but it seems that if you select any type of 'filter' when creating a gedcom for export in Legacy,  that results in the lat/ long not being included in the gedcom file.

If you select Export to Gedcom

Select UTF8

(You can select any of the options with checkboxes)

You can not select any "Record Selection" or "Customize"

You will get all places with lat & long

They will be listed at or near the very end of the file.

Like:

0 _PLAC_DEFN
1 PLAC Jauchelette, , Brabant, Belgium
2 ABBR Jauchelette, , Brabant, BEL
2 MAP
3 LATI N50.6833333333333
3 LONG E4.85
0 _PLAC_DEFN
1 PLAC Conde, Spink, South Dakota, USA
2 ABBR Conde, Spink, SD, USA
2 MAP
3 LATI N45.1572222222222
3 LONG W98.0972222222222
0 _PLAC_DEFN
1 PLAC Hazel Green, Grant, Wisconsin, USA
2 ABBR Hazel Green, Grant, WI, USA
2 MAP
3 LATI N42.5327777777778
3 LONG W90.4344444444444
0 _PLAC_DEFN
1 PLAC Nürtingen, , Baden-Württemberg, Germany
2 ABBR Nürtingen, , BW, DEU
2 MAP
3 LATI N48.6333333333333
3 LONG E9.35

This is not a new problem, so I have just given in to the fact that I need to manage all place geo coding in TNG.

Which in reality is better anyway.

Especially now that Legacy cant even get maps working internally, and I suspect that problem will take 6 months to a year to fix.

Hope that helps,

Jay

Morten Solberg

Hi Jay,
Yes, you are completely right in all your assumptions. After analyzing the Gedcom files for almost all sets of Gedcom setup for Legacy, I discovered that the "Legacy" and "UTF-8" settings gave me the coordinates in the Gedcom file, with the result that I finally got all the coordinates in place in TNG. At the same time, I had to make sure not to enter options for "Customize" (which I started with).

Now it's time to get Google's API code to make the map appear. This in itself may be a problem, but I hope TNG forum can provide answers to problems, if they occur.

Yes, you're right that we may have to wait a while for the solution of Legacy map problems, which in itself are not very good advertising for Legacy.
However, I thank you for the feedback. Good service!!
Morten

jayat1familytree

Morten,

You might like my unpublished MOD to "Add Maps" for the Admin Places menu.

Then you can search for " , New York, USA"  and with the 'show Map' box checked, the results list will have a map image for each found place.

This gives you a chance to review geo coded places map pins for accuracy.

Hope that helps.

Jay

admin_places_add_maps_v11.0.0.1.zip

Morten Solberg

Hi again, Jay
Thank you for the submitted file and guidance regarding geo-coded places. However, I am struggling with other issues, which also apply to the same topic. My problem is that I do not see maps in TNG on my desktop (nor my laptop). However, this works when I try from a PC from my son's house. I get the message that I need to check the JavaScript console, but I have checked this with different web browsers (Firefox, Google Chrome, Edge and Explorer) and they have all JavaScript enabled. I really don't think that this has anything to do with my firewall, which is tempting to think. Any suggestions?

BR Morten

jayat1familytree

Do you have a map API Key from Google ?

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/get-api-key

what is the URL to your web site?

Check the TNG  ADMIN>Map Settings and make sure that Maps are 'enabled" and that the HIDE maps is not set to on.

Morten Solberg

Hi Jay,

Here's new info about the problem of missing map view. The problem was that there was a discrepancy between the use of "https: // s ....." and "https: //www.s ....."

My son accidentally signed in with "https: //www.s ....." The error found and all OK, so far ....😊