TNG Community
MikeP

Individuals missing from tree

MikeP

I just realized that I have many people missing from my tree.  If I search for them, they are there but they are connected to their children or spouses.  I just get a box that says "Edit Family".  It shows as if someone should be there since is doesn't say unknown.

All of the individuals came from FTM and was synced from ancestry.  My ancestry tree and FTM tree show correctly.  It seems to have something to do with people with multiple marriages.

edit_family.jpg

jayat1familytree

Did you run the secondary process "Track Lines"

Or, this could be a result of the gedcom import not having completed properly as the info on family links is usually at the very end of the gedcom

0 @F207263@ FAM
1 HUSB @I320939@
2 _PREF Y
1 WIFE @I320940@
2 _PREF Y
1 MARR
2 DATE Bef 1850
2 PLAC Dunleer, Louth, Leinster, Ireland
1 CHIL @I306298@
1 CHIL @I306297@
1 CHIL @I306296@
1 CHIL @I306295@
1 CHIL @I320941@
1 CHIL @I306294@
1 CHIL @I320937@
2 _PREF Y
1 CHAN
2 DATE 26 Sep 2016
3 TIME 14:43
0 @F207264@ FAM

MikeP

What is "Track Lines" and how long should it take to import a gedcom file?  Mine is only 2.7 mb and i removed the old ones and am uploading a new one right now but the progress window has been on the screen for over ten minutes.  It ran for a few hours this morning until I finally hit stop.  The files seems to be there in file manager but I now have most of my tree missing.

jayat1familytree

Mike,

Admin > Import/Export>  Secondary Procesess tab> Track Lines. 

It takes about 2 min to run on my big file of 250,000 persons.

If your Import Process seems to take a long time, try 'watching' it...

Open your phpmyadmin and select your database.

IN a different widow or browser, go to your tng Admin and start the import.

Back on the phpadmins screen, click on the  process link, it should show MORE than one process.

(You should always have one - you looking at that screen)

Check the processes every few minutes by clicking on the REFRESH link

Once there is only ONE process running, you know tng has stopped the import.

Go back to the TNG import screen and click on the STOP import.

then click the Import Data button again. 

Check to see if processes are running, repeat.

I have to do this twice when I replace my full gedcom because my gedcom file is so large and takes almost an hour.

You always want to redo an import if you never get the final TNG finished import message box.

MikeP

Darrin helped by telling me that my gedcom file name was too long and it wasn't allowing it to resume.  Once I changed the file name and reuploaded, it allowed me to resume and finished the import process.

Additionally, the most recent gedcom I'm using came from FTM.  This time, I decided to change the gedcom output to FTM 2012 version.  Not sure what this does but it is an option in the FTM export to gedcom process.  It seems some of the issues I was having in TNG are resolved.  Before, there were people missing a parent if the parent had two spouses.  That seems to have been resolved.  Either the FTM export method or that the file was properly uploaded (or both) has made a huge difference. 

theKiwi
On 13/1/2018 at 4:03 PM, jayat1familytree said:

Did you run the secondary process "Track Lines"

The only thing that "Track Lines" does is to put the indicator beside children's names that indicates if those children themselves had children. It is nothing to do with the linking of parents to children - all that comes out of the FAM parts of the GEDCOM file.

Roger

MikeP

So this is something I should add to my list of things to do every time I upload a new gedcom.  Are there any other secondary processes that should be done every time?  Sort children or spouses?

theKiwi
9 hours ago, MikeP said:

So this is something I should add to my list of things to do every time I upload a new gedcom.  Are there any other secondary processes that should be done every time?  Sort children or spouses?

I always run Track Lines after a GEDCOM import because as I noted that puts the indicator beside Childrens' names to indicate that they have Children.

Sort Children and Sort Spouses - I never run them, because TNG respects the order that they show in the GEDCOM file, and I know that Reunion puts them into the file in the correct order.

The other one I do run everytime is the "Create SiteMap" which is a Mod (see http://LisaAndRoger.com/downloads)  that create a Google sitemap.

I don't run any of the others since I don't use Branches, and don't bother Trimming the media menus

But basically you should run all of those options for which you are using their features.

Roger