TNG Community
MikeP

Thumbnails are not generating

MikeP

I just started using TNG a few days ago and am pretty stuck on this thumbnail issue.  It seems that the pics/thumbnail questions have been asked plenty of times but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I have about 1000 photos uploaded and they seem to have ID's linked to them.  When I try to generate thumbnails, it says 0 generated.  I clicked the "regenerate existing thumbnails" option and that didn't generated them either.  I clicked the button to generate default photos and that gave 0 results.  If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate the help. 

I used FTM to generate my gedcom and on import I clicked the media links option.  I then uploaded all the photos to the photos collection via the TNG media upload tool.

Thanks,

Mike

Chris Lloyd

Make your own thumbnails and upload them - if you use a PC try EasyThumbnails

MikeP

I saw that on another thread but there are over 1000 photos.  I'd much rather figure out what I'm doing wrong and why the pics aren't attaching to the individuals.  It might be more than just the thumbnail issue.

jayat1familytree

Mike,

So when you go to your Admin>Media menu, you are seeing a listing of all your media items?

Is the count what it should be?

admin_media_menu.jpg

Do they need to be moved into proper collections?

What is the settings on your Admin>Setup> Import Settings page? (Do they match the path structure for the media items in the gedcom file? )

admin_import_setup_paths.jpg

MikeP

I believe all the files are there.  Perhaps it's the directory structure as you mentioned.  Here are my screenshots:

Import.jpg

Media.jpg

jayat1familytree

What are the paths in the gedcom file?

You can open and view the gedcom with a text editor like Notepad++

I notice NONE of your media items were assigned to a collection. Normally everything defaults to the 'Photos' collection.

MikeP

I actually just changed the path after I posted the screenshot.  The correct path is:

C:\Users\Punt\Documents\Family Tree Maker\xxx Family Tree(1) Media\

but changing it still hasn't created thumbnails or attached photos (I reran the thumbnail utility as well).

I also added all the items to the Photos collection and no change.

I appreciate the help.

Edited by MikeP
missed a question

MikeP

I deleted all photos/media. I went to the import option instead of upload this time.  It imported all the files again but I don't know how since I thought I deleted them.  I went to Upload anyway and re-uploaded all my media to the photos folder.  Seems that some thumbnails have been created but nothing is attached to anyone.  There also seem to be some dupes which do not have thumbs.

I'm not sure if I'm getting closer or if it's just wishful thinking.  I have to be missing something.

media1.jpg

jayat1familytree

Mike,

You might want to review the TNG Wiki for info on "Family Tree Maker Gedcom import

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_Media_into_TNG

or in particular a MOD that helps with media import

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Gedcom_Converter

MikeP

Thank you Jay.  I will take a look.  I thought I read that the Mod wasn't necessary with the newest version of TNG but I could be wrong.  I will try to figure out how to use the mod and see if that works.