TNG Community
Morten Solberg

Importing media files

Morten Solberg

First of all, I am a beginner with TNG, and sometimes feels like a blockhead, asking stupid questions that may have been discussed and answered in this forum earlier.

So far all data has been imported correctly to TNG, no problems. My problem is how to import media files like .jpg .pdf etc. I have all such files stored in ONE folder, called Media, which work fine with my Legacy setup. I remember to have read that all these files can be imported in one bulk to TNG (and that TNG will automatically "see" photos and documents by its file type). Can anyone tell me where to start in TNG to have this done or refer to a link where this is explained in detail? I have to say I prefer a "cookbook" reference of how this should be done, as I need to learn this from scratch.

Thanks in advance from Morten Solberg in Norway

Kelly B

I don’t import my photos in mass because of copyright, but I have a thought on the Legacy side of the import.  First, when you create the file in Legacy, first select to export as a gedcom, but the next screen, select Legacy as the file type.  That is how I was told to do mine (without media though).  On the TNG side, check replace all current data.  Hopefully that works for you.

Morten Solberg

Sorry, I don't follow you on this. As far as I know, it is not possible to include the .jpg or .pdf files along with the Gedcom transfer. Only the path for where to find the file is included in the Gedcom file, right?

tngrlkrz
11 hours ago, Morten Solberg said:

Only the path for where to find the file is included in the Gedcom file, right?

Kelly I think was suggesting that, "without media" , i.e., not the physical files.

This isn't 'cookbook', just what I remember doing when I had Legacy 7 and exported to TNG.  i always clear the tree first, then repopulate the entire tree periodically with a gedcom from my laptop.  I now do something similar but from Family Historian, and even export now from FH to Legacy 7.5 (tried Legacy 8 and 9, found them sluggish compared to 7).

TNG will look for the  relative file path(s) in the gedcom media records to match what was defined as the Admin:Setup:Import settings' local paths and then put them in folders specified in Admin:Setup:General Settings:Paths & Folders for various media categories (photo/doc/etc).  Before the import,   use an FTP program like Filezilla to copy all your media to those same TNG folders (created by TNG or by yourself).  If you wish to do so,  generate your own media thumbnails on your desktop, and copy them to the thumbnail paths you have specified in Admin:Setup:General Settings:Media.  Additionally, the thumbnails can be in a subfolder you specify e.g. "thumbs/th" ,  with the "th" being  the media file prefix which you choose to distinguish your thumbnail files from your full size media files.

You mention one folder for all you media.  I also had it that way at one time, but with distinctive filename prefixes 'D' document, 'P' photo, etc, and then in TNG had to look for those and move them from the generic collection area to the other  areas.  Since then, once I discovered TNG can match to gedcom paths, i moved my files into different folders on the desktop, keeping the filename prefixes (though I didn't really need to, just helps me know what they are), and let TNG do the work of nicely sorting the media out for me.

You can export from Legacy  as a Gedcom file, 5.51.   Then import to TNG replacing all current data (possibly clearing the tree first), and then run the 'tracking options'. Finally use Admin:Media 'generate thumbnails' which will link your media items to the physical files (and generate thumbs if you didn't create them yourself).

That's generally the procedure that works for me now also with Family Historian as my 'homebase' software instead of Legacy.

Hope it helps you.

Ron

jayat1familytree

Morton,

How to you plan to sort the media items from ONE folder into many?

Are you ONLY going to have .jpg items in the media/photos/ folder

and ONLY .pdf files in the media/documents/ folder?

IF you had them in separate folders in Legacy, then it would be easier, because the newer version of TNG will try to match the folder path name to the collection name

so if all your headstones are in media/headstones/

and all your documents are in media//documents/

and all your photos in media/photos/

etc.  TNG might import them all into the correct collections.

Jay

Morten Solberg

Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, I think you are right in this. What keeps me back is the huge job I can get in Legacy to change paths to images and documents. However, I hope one of the maintenance facilities in the program can set up the correct paths automatically, but I'm not entirely sure. 

tngrlkrz
2 hours ago, jayat1familytree said:

If you had them in separate folders in Legacy, then it would be easier, because the newer version of TNG will try to match the folder path name to the collection name

so if all your headstones are in media/headstones/

and all your documents are in media//documents/

and all your photos in media/photos/

etc.  TNG might import them all into the correct collections.

Jay

As to Legacy gedcom and TNG paths, I think Jay just stated  the short version of exactly what I related earlier.  And yes, indeed, TNG will, not might, import them properly; I've done it.

I agree, Morten, that you need to break the media into different folders by type.  In my case, the prefix I had on the filename enabled me to do that fairly quickly.  Then, in Legacy, I exported to a gedcom for Legacy.  Next, used a good text editor to mass change the paths with a search replace of the paths, such as fine 'media/P' and replace with 'media/photos/P.  And repeat this for the other types.  Then reimport that gedcom into a new Legacy tree, and your pathing for TNG and Legacy is complete.  Of course the key for me was those filename prefixes.

Doing it solely in Legacy will be tedious, but the Picture Center will give you a lot of help in matching up to the new paths.

Ron

Morten Solberg

Fortunately, Legacy has a facility that allows to retrieve the files if they are moved to another folder. The system retrieves the files to the new location and creates a new file path. Fortunately this went well and everything is up to date now, with 5 directories, all with homogeneous content.
Now it's only left to get them right to TNG. In one way I'm back to start, but now with a better starting point, though I'm somewhat unsure of the way forward. Hope TNG Wiki has the right answers.
Many thanks from Norway to you both for excellent support.

Br
Morten

jayat1familytree

Morten, 

You might also investigate installing your own WAMP server on your PC where you can fully test all of TNG much faster.

I mention this here because you would need to move the paths again, IF you want to use the same files for Legacy and for your wamp sever installation.

So Legacy is installed as normal on my PC C://Legacy/

and  the Wamp server is at C://wamp 64/www/

then the next folder needs to be the same name as your database (that where the database is stored) and to keep it simple I call mine 'genealogy'

Under that folder I have all of my tng folders.

so I end up with  c://wamp 64/www/genealogy/photos/

or  C://wamp 64/www/genealogy/headstones/

Make sure to add these paths to the Admin>Import Setup and everything will work OK

Hope that helps,

Jay

Morten Solberg

Is it correct to say that VAMP is in some way a test setup to test the web pages on your PC before final uploading? As you understand, I am a beginner of this and am quite unfamiliar with web design. But I appreciate your feedback.

br
Morten

jayat1familytree

Yes, WAMP will set up a complete "web site" and database on your PC.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wampserver/

Just remember that the 'config.php' and 2 or 3 other specific files are not interchangeable between your PC web site and your online web site.

There are several articles on the TNG Wiki

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=WampServer