TNG Community
Katryne

One TNG, 2 trees : 2 URLs ?

Katryne

Hello !

I plan to add a new tree in my TNG install.
But I do not want the same people to view both trees.
My first tree is integrated as iframe in my main CMS. Access is limited to family only. Only the homepage is public.
I would like to use one of my sub-domains directing to my second tree and giving access only to this tree. Access might be restricted too, I do not know yet.
Can I use 2 different URLs for each tree ? If so, how to ?

I will be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Merv

Hi,

I'm pretty sure you only have one choice of restriction per TNG install. for example either full restriction (requires login to access any info), living restricted (needs login to access living info) or no restriction (doesn't require any login to access any info).

You can have more than one homepage where one can run off a sub-domain. I have 1 main homepage and 4 minor homepages where the minor homepages are all run off sub-domains. The minor homepages are created using the historytemplate.php method. I can't see why you shouldn't be able to iframe your new homepage.

You can restrict your users to a specific tree or give them access to all trees. You can not give them access to a selection of trees. I use branches to restrict my users to their particular branch or branches.

Hope that helps.

Katryne

Thank you Merv, I will give it a try.

Newfloridian

Katryne: I would go some way to agreeing with Merv but I think you need to sort out your absolute requirements first. Let me preface my remarks by saying that I use only TNG and template4. I don't use template switching, mod manager or any external source such as Wordpress. I also have an open site with only access to 'the living' restricted. I have never seen the point of putting a family history website onto the internet and then closing it is casual but potentially interested browsers. Many (most?) of the unexpected new directions of research have come this way.

Ten years ago I added a second tree to my site - a tree which is not, in fact, a family history. It caters for its own population. It has its own places list, its own set of Feature Articles which the casual reader can read. But registered users of one tree do not have access to the other. I did start out having it as a separate subdomain (initially with the intention of floating it out into a separate domain which never arose). However there do remain problems in maintaining backups etc of both sets if you keep the subdomains separate. Keeping the two trees in the one domain overcomes that problem.

My site has an overall landing page which leads to seven sublanding pages associated with the first tree - access to which is controlled by branches - and one sublanding page which is associated with the second tree. There is a ninth sublanding page which leads to an index and contents section.

You can see this in action from the link in my footer. From the main page have a look at "Surnames" on the RED pages and then have a look at "Surnames" on the TARTAN pages ) or compare the content of Photos on the Media dropdown tab on each of those same pages 

Alan

Katryne

Well, thanks. All this looks rather difficult to me.

I can imagine that I could be able to create another homepage, (even if the links to a forum post and a word document at the bottom of this explanation the historytemplate.php method. are dead. Do you know why ?)

I could also redirect a sub-domain to this alternate homepage.

But I do not understand how I will be able to assign my second tree to this second home page.  In the general settings of the TNG, a default tree is selectd. Now, it is selected on my family tree, the first one.

The second tree is meant to collect the genealogy datas of a village, with no connection to the first tree, the family tree. The family tree is meant to be a tool for coworking with my cousins. Everyone of us has his own public online genealogy elsewhere. That is the reason why this one is closed.

The famiy tree and the village tree will be sub-domains of 2 different domains.

Must I buy another TNG ?

Merv

Hi,

Sounds like you may want 2 separate and independent databases with different access restrictions.... If so, 2 separate TNG installations is probably the way to go. Your host provider ill hopefully give advice on how to best set this up

theKiwi
1 hour ago, Katryne said:

The famiy tree and the village tree will be sub-domains of 2 different domains.

Must I buy another TNG ?

You can use multiple TNG installations with a single licence fee if you use them on sub-domains of the same domain or in folders of the same site - this is from the Licence Agreement.

The software may be installed multiple times on the same site 
(ie, www.mysite.com/this and www.mysite.com/that) 
without requiring an extra licence, 
provided that all licenses are for your own personal use.

Roger

Katryne

Thanks everybody for your answers.

I personally own 3 domains and my sites are all hosted on the same shared hosting, in different folders. None of my sites have advertising or commercial revenue or social sharing links. chauvigne.info is meant for family stories and revestou.fr for stories of the village where I live. (I personally host the sites of the local village history association for free.) The family tree made with TNG is included as iframe in the chauvigne.info website (over 5000 entries).  And I'm trying to put together the genealogies of the village into one tree. And a sub-domain of revestou.fr would be perfect.

It is true that a second install of my TNG would make things easy. But I would not like to infringe TNG copyright.

Newfloridian

Hi Katryne

1 hour ago, Katryne said:

chauvigne.info is meant for family stories and revestou.fr for stories of the village where I live.

I have now had a look at the two sites that you mentioned in your message (might have been a good idea to make them as clickable links!) and it does look that you already have a  production with massive content there already. As I said previously it really is a matter of what you want to do with TNG - more so with regard to that environment.

In my own circumstance, TNG is the all-encompassing environment: providing the database and all the familiar family tree paraphenalia - and then uses the historytemplate.php method to create the personal and feature articles (now nearly 500 of them). 

You, it seems, already have the latter in a fully developed format and are then looking for TNG to provide some much more localised (or basic) facilities in two places within that environment. Not sure I would know how best to achieve that

Alan