TNG Community

Burial Website Media Import Mod with new Find A Grave changes

wvoigt

For those using the Burial Website Media Import Mod, Find A Grave has recently changed the format of its URL that points to memorials.

For the moment, it seems they are still forwarding URLs in the old format. 

However, if you start entering records with the new URL, you need to make the following change in your customconfig.php

$BWMI_mod['web']['FAG']['match_url']  = "[?&]GRid=|/memorial/";

If you want to have your URLs in the new format, you will need to also add the following change in your customconfig.php

$BWMI_mod['web']['FAG']['url']              = "https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/%s";
Now if you don't delete the old entries, when you change to the new URL above, you will see both old and new media entries in TNG.
New ones don't overwrite the old ones with different URLs. This is unavoidable, since there is not a good way to tell if the media is a good one or not.
Some folks actually like to point other Find A Grave links of other individuals under the person too.  e.g., spouses.
So I recommend deleting all your old entries first.

The quickest way I've found to remove a bunch of Find A Grave links is to:

1. Go into administration
  2. select Media on the left
  3. under "Collection" select "Find A Grave"
  4. make sure all the other fields are blank
  5. click search
  6. click "Select All"
  7. click "Delete Selected"
  8. repeat 6-7 as many times as needed until all are removed.
  9. Rerun Burial Website Media Import, to add all the Media entries using the new URL

I know it is a pain.  But it really only needs to be done once, anytime a website completely changes their URL structure.
And if you do have other links there (i.e., spouses), then you need to make sure you uncheck any that you want to keep and edit by hand (or go through them one at a time.)

At some point in the future I will update the Mod version with these changes.

• 2 weeks later...

With over 2000 plus entries I have a lot of work to do. Can this be edited from the database perspective to cut down on the time?

Also are your instructions posted as an addendum to the mod, I did not see them.

I see that the mod has been recently updated but do they take into account the new changes.

Carlton Brooks

Carlton,

I'm not sure what you mean about "recently updated", I have not updated it yet. I started this post as a quick work around for everyone until I can get an update ready. So yes, you can think of it as an addendum.

As for a database update, it is something I want to add to the mod, but I'm not sure if I can get to it right away.  I have an idea on how to do it, but I need to spend some time implementing and testing it.

So if you are in a hurry, you will need to do the manual deletes. It took me just a few minutes for my 600 or so. But I understand your pain. And it is a reason I want to get a better solution.

-Wendel

Wendel,

I don't use your mod but think there should there be a link from your TNG Wiki Burial Website Media Import to this TNG Community Forum discussion. Maybe as an Info box at the top of the page using the TNGver template or the caution template.

Let me know if you need help with the Info box or want me to add it.

I have a version that updates "old" entries with the new ones.  No deletions required.  If you previously turned off all updates so that only new entries are added, then you will need to turn it back on in customconfig.php with:

$BWMI_mod['update'] = 1; // 1= update, 0=new only

In addition to looking for the right mediaTypeID, in a burial, etc.... instead of looking for the full URL in the media path (which is now changed), it looks to make sure that:

• the media is connected to the same person as the burial source being worked on
  • the path contains the basic website keyword (sanity check) as well as the memorial number from the citation (should nail it down)

I *think* this pretty much eliminates any other possibilities, and thus makes it OK to completely update the URL.

I'm going to do some more testing on my side, but if anyone would like to beta test this version, please let me know.

I have posted v9.0.0.10 of the Burial Website Media Import Mod. This should fix usage with the new Find A Grave website.

In addition, I updated the Mod to automatically update older existing media links that are using the old Find A Grave format.  So you no longer need to delete the old entries.

The mod continues to match citations for Find A Grave that use the old format for the URL (as well as matching the new format).  But the media link under Burial will always be added/updated to be the new format.

Download the new version from the right hand side that suits your installation and add/edit it using modmanager.

Darrin installed this old version for me    I don't know know how to do this. I had been so frustrated to install this many times    

Marla,

Here are generic instructions on installing Mods: https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mod_Manager_-_Installing_Config_Files

1. Download the zip file and save it
  2. uncompress the file(s)
  3. Using your favorite FTP program (e.g., FileZilla), FTP the files to your website into your mod folder under TNG.
  4. Go to your TNG Administration page, and go to Mod Manager
  5. If you have a prior version of the Mod, uninstall it.
  6. Install the new version

The latest version of Burial Website Media Import Mod does not require the changes detailed at the top of this thread.  The changes are already incorporated into the release.

It might help if we know more about which step you are having problems.