TNG Community

Adding FindAGrave Links

KarenC

Hi Karen... You could add it as a note in the Burial Section of a person's personal page.

Edit tab>> Scroll down to Burial>> then 3rd tab along (note) >> Paste the link in there (you may want to add that it is a link to Find a Grave) >> Save

FireShot Screen Capture #051 - 'William Priestley (Abt 1733 - )_ whakapapaonline_com' - whakapapaonline_com_getperson_php_personID=I5090&tree=tree1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Karen,

You may want to consider the Burial Website Media Import Mod

Basically, the mod will go through your burial records looking for Find A Grave sources.  If it finds one with a memorial number, then it adds a media link under burial.

See the mod for the source conditions needed to find the memorial.  Generally, any good source citation will have all the right information.  Even if it is as simple as the URL to the person's memorial.

If you do use it, then also see my post here about some changes you need to add to your customconfig.php for the recent Find A Grave website changes.

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2018 at 2:50 PM, wvoigt said:

Karen,

You may want to consider the Burial Website Media Import Mod

Basically, the mod will go through your burial records looking for Find A Grave sources.  If it finds one with a memorial number, then it adds a media link under burial.

See the mod for the source conditions needed to find the memorial.  Generally, any good source citation will have all the right information.  Even if it is as simple as the URL to the person's memorial.

If you do use it, then also see my post here about some changes you need to add to your customconfig.php for the recent Find A Grave website changes.

I'm experimenting with some of these suggestions.  What does "media link under burial" mean?  I tried editing the person, and changed their burial "place" to a findagrave url.  Nope!  Then I'd have to make a place for that and a mess ensues.  Before I install a mod and make messes at high rates of speed, I'd like to manually add a "media link under burial" to see what that looks like.  Could someone clarify?

I did try the above technique of putting the url in a person note, but I don't think that draws enough attention to itself.

Thanks in advance, Pat

7 hours ago, Pat Downs said:

I'm experimenting with some of these suggestions.  What does "media link under burial" mean?  I tried editing the person, and changed their burial "place" to a findagrave url.  Nope!  Then I'd have to make a place for that and a mess ensues.  Before I install a mod and make messes at high rates of speed, I'd like to manually add a "media link under burial" to see what that looks like.  Could someone clarify?

I did try the above technique of putting the url in a person note, but I don't think that draws enough attention to itself.

Thanks in advance, Pat

Pat,

See https://voigtworld.com/genealogy/?show=getperson&personID=I807&tree=Voigt

for an example. Look under buried for the Find A Grave link. This is the media link added. The information to add this link by the mod is in a Source Citation for this burial. Do not change the place or add to a note. The mod only looks at source citations for the burial. See the mod page for the specific things it is looking for in the source citation for the burial. In my example above, it keyed off of my source #6 for the burial.

- Wendel

• 3 weeks later...

(I think I was expecting too much magic ...)

When I run the secondary process, I get "No Memorial or Record found in the citation." for every one of my individuals that has findagrave as a burial source.  I guess that's because my source citation looks like this: [S631] Find A Grave, (Location: findagrave.com;) and in the example from your site it looks like this: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11173864 

I have one source called "Findagrave" and it is the same source for 1,000's of people.  Do you have a separate source for each person?  Wendel, tell me it ain't so!

So - assuming I'm willing to look everyone up again (ha - it should only take a couple weeks!) can you please clarify for me what I should be updating in TNG?  I really like your mod and would like to enable it.

Thanks, Pat

Pat,

I have one Find a Grave source myself. But in the source details for a particular entry, I give the link. It doesn't have to be the link. But somehow, someway you have to say which Find A Grave memorial goes to that particular burial. It can't read minds. The mod page gives several ways / formats that it can recognize.  I just find cutting and pasting the URL is easier. But "Memorial 123456" should work just as well.  Think of it as the page or record number in a book.

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=122620107
www.findagrave.com/memorial/122620107
billiongraves.com/pages/record/number/122620107
Memorial #122620107
Memorial 122620107
Memorial No. 122620107 
memorial     no.     122620107
MeMoRiAl#122620107
record    122620107
Record   Nbr 122620107
ReCoRd   Number122620107

Wendell, thanks, I got it to work.  I added "Memorial and the correct #" to the "Actual Text" field in a burial citation for an individual and then ran the secondary process.  I really like your mod.  I have a LOT of updating to do, but I'm going to do it.  I have 1,000 individuals with Findagrave burial citations.  So I'm trying to figure out the fastest way to implement this.

You say, "I just find cutting and pasting the URL is easier."  My question is "Pasting where?"  Did I get it right?  (especially from a time to update / labor perspective.)

The Burial Website Media Import process creates a media entry in the Media Collection "Find A Grave."  It's common for a grave marker to have multiple people buried there, spouse, children, etc.  I tried to add links on my test entry to other individuals.  That worked.  I had to be sure to mark the event "Burial" when adding the link.  But this has the limitation that the "Title" of that added link will be somewhat misleading.  I could update the Title to say something like "Person Name and family, etc."

Any speed hints are welcomed!

Edited by Pat Downs
Correction