TNG Community

Main photo & His & Hers questions

Ted Steele

Hello. I am working to design my first TNG home page. At the moment I have three questions.

(1) I have added a main photo to the page -- but it is enormous! I don't see a way to re-size it to fit the page. I can see the html code for it but I am not enuf of an html expert to know if I can re-size it there.

(2) I am using template 14, and there are two links in the header banner -- one for "his family" and one for "Her family." I have changed the text to the family names and have changed the GEDCOM numbers to the correct individuals (e.g., I 2 for him and I 49 for her, but when I click on the controls the pedigree is empty. How do I activate these.

(3) The banner title for the page is a bit too large to fit what I want it to say. Again, the html code simply says <h1 class="big-header">. I am presuming that "big header" is defined somewhere. How can I change that to be just a bit smaller?

Thanks! Ted, a new TNG user

Hi Ted,

Have you a link to your site?

2 hours ago, Ted Steele said:

(1) I have added a main photo to the page -- but it is enormous! I don't see a way to re-size it to fit the page. I can see the html code for it but I am not enuf of an html expert to know if I can re-size it there.

2 options I can think of... the best method IMO is to resize the pic before you upload it. If you are using MS Windows, then MS Paint can do this for you.

The other option would be to edit the image size HTML code however the large image sits in your server taking up space and takes extra resources to load every time someone views your homepage

(3) The banner title for the page is a bit too large to fit what I want it to say. Again, the html code simply says <h1 class="big-header">. I am presuming that "big header" is defined somewhere. How can I change that to be just a bit smaller?

big header is defined in your templatestyle.css file around line 722

(2) I am using template 14, and there are two links in the header banner -- one for "his family" and one for "Her family." I have changed the text to the family names and have changed the GEDCOM numbers to the correct individuals (e.g., I 2 for him and I 49 for her, but when I click on the controls the pedigree is empty. How do I activate these.

When you changed the text you may have also altered some of the code that loads the chart. If you post a link to your site, we may be able to determine more.

Thanks Merv.  I resized the picture as you suggested (thanks!) but when I upload the new image I get a "404 image not found" error. The new jpg name appears in the setup menu (and in the html code for the home page), but I cannot preview it.  I have done a 'save" in the setup page several times with no luck.  :(

I'll take a look at the definition of "big header" in a bit.

The website in question is: EdesFamily.net.

Thanks again. and Merry Christmas.  Ted

Hmmm...  Regarding that "big header" style, my templatestyle css folder contains this:

/*Your template style goes in this file*/
/*If you decide to use a template, this file will be overwritten. If you're not using a template, you can leave this file blank*/
/*All custom style should go in mytngstyle.css*/

Just to be sure, I opened all of the other css folders and searched for "big" and didn't get a hit.

jayat1familytree

Ted,

Look like the link to "Powell Family"  is http://edesfamily.net/pedigree.php?personID=I2&tree=mytreeid

which looks like you do not have link info properly set up (with the tree info)

when I go to see your trees the links shows;

http://edesfamily.net/showtree.php?tree=Powell

so the Powell family link should work with

http://edesfamily.net/pedigree.php?personID=I2&tree=Powell

Edes Powell 1949.jpg

Thanks Merv.  I resized the picture as you suggested (thanks!) but when I upload the new image I get a "404 image not found" error. The new jpg name appears in the setup menu (and in the html code for the home page), but I cannot preview it.  I have done a 'save" in the setup page several times with no luck. 

Hi Ted,

How are you loading the pic?

The easiest way is via admin>> setup>> template settings>> main image homepage (load image there)>> save

The homepage is looking for an image in your template14/img folder labelled Edes_Powell_for_Web.jpg but there isn't one, which is why you are getting the 404 error.

I think this is the image that you are after. I have resized it for you. Try loading this one..

Edes Powell 1949.jpg

1 hour ago, Ted Steele said:

Hmmm...  Regarding that "big header" style, my templatestyle css folder contains this:

/*Your template style goes in this file*/
/*If you decide to use a template, this file will be overwritten. If you're not using a template, you can leave this file blank*/
/*All custom style should go in mytngstyle.css*/

Hi Ted,

Maybe you are looking in the wrong place?

templates>> template14>> css>> templatestyle.css

Capture.JPG

Well, I do appreciate the answers, but I can't seem to implement them. Although I am computer-savvy, I am an html novice.

So (1) how do I get to templates>> template14>> css>> templatestyle.css? It's not by appending it as:

www.edesfamily.net/templates>> template14>> css>> templatestyle.css

And I don't see how to get there from the Configuration Manager.

(2) When I view the source code for my home page I am unable to edit  http://edesfamily.net/pedigree.php?personID=I2&tree=mytreeid to change "mytreeid" to "Powell."

(3) I have used the Edit template" menu at http://www.edesfamily.net/admin.php to upload the image that I had resized yesterday. I searched for the smaller photo jpg, changed the file name in the box labeled " Main image (home page):" and clicked "Save." Isn't the purpose of that menu to be able to change items on the home page? That's exactly what I did to load the original (enormous) photo and it worked then. Why doesn't it work now?

I hope this will all eventually make sense, but at the moment I am finding working with TNG very frustrating -- requiring a rather in-depth understanding of all of these arcane parts and pieces.  :(

OK, I'm trying to get this. So I figured that editing the template for the file name Edes_Powell-for-web,jpg just changed the html code, but that "saving the photo" didn't actually upload the jpg image. (Although it did the first time with that big image.) So I have now gone to the administrator page to "upload media" and uploaded that same jpg. But still no photo on the home page. (And I did a refresh...)

Should I not be able to manage all aspects of the website from the Administrator panels?

FYI, here is what the panel in my Template page looks like. Note that I changed the labels for the "dad's side" and "mom's side" tabs, and I changed the INDI numbers to the correct persons in my GEDCOM -- but I kept the tree id's as "mytreeid." So I don't know why TNG is looking for URLs with "Powell" and "Redden" in them.

Main image (home page):

Main image caption:
Header image:
  54 x 100 px
Header image 2:
  54 x 100 px
Header image 3:
  54 x 100 px
Dad's Side label:
Dad's Side person ID:
Dad's Side tree ID:
Mom's Side label:
Mom's Side person ID:
Mom's Side tree ID:

3 hours ago, Ted Steele said:

So (1) how do I get to templates>> template14>> css>> templatestyle.css? It's not by appending it as:

www.edesfamily.net/templates>> template14>> css>> templatestyle.css

Hi Ted,

I have just realised that I need to be a bit more specific as to how to access these files and facilities for you to make these changes.

This file in particular is in your server. The way I get into my server is via the FTP program Filezilla. There are other methods, but this seems the most popular method used in this forum. Others here may recommend other methods.

3 hours ago, Ted Steele said:

(2) When I view the source code for my home page I am unable to edit  http://edesfamily.net/pedigree.php?personID=I2&tree=mytreeid to change "mytreeid" to "Powell."

Hi Ted,

If this in regard to making changes to the  His and Her links on your homepage. This is done in the Administration interface.

Admin>> Set up>> Template Settings

If you scroll down that page you will see a section where you can specify the individual and tree.

It seems you have entered the individual details correctly but still need to specify the tree name Powell. This field could be case sensitive so double check that if it doesn't work for you the first time...

Capture.JPG

Bingo!

Got my homepage photo.  Got my mom & dad tabs to work.

Thanks, Merv, for hanging in there with me. You've been a great help!

Merry Christmas from Missouri (that's in America).  ;->  Where we had a dusting of snow this morning.  Ho ho ho.

Ted

OK, this can wait, but I did want to mention that I found the css file for template 14, but I am unable to edit it. (It might be nice to reduce the font size from 52 points to a smaller size, but when I tried to make it "48 pt" it didn't change a thing.  It appears to be un-editable. (I guess Darrin doesn't want his BDUs -- Big dumb Users -- screwing it up (?).

Ted, aka BDU

All TNG files can be edited, especially in the templates.  If it's not 'taking', there would have to be another reason, such as another css statement overriding the one in the template.  That shouldn't happen, but you certainly can edit all files.  Also, make sure you've 'cleared' your browser cache; many times one forgets that and the old value will be held and used.

Ron

19 hours ago, Ted Steele said:

OK, this can wait, but I did want to mention that I found the css file for template 14, but I am unable to edit it. (It might be nice to reduce the font size from 52 points to a smaller size, but when I tried to make it "48 pt" it didn't change a thing.  It appears to be un-editable. (I guess Darrin doesn't want his BDUs -- Big dumb Users -- screwing it up (?).

Ted, aka BDU

Hi Ted,

Ron has some good points. It also depends on how you are accessing the server and how you are trying to edit the files.

It sounds like you could be inspecting the file through your browser rather than accessing the file through an FTP program.

Merry Xmas from New Zealand