TNG Community

Google Maps - missing globe

Arnulf

Behind some place names is a globe and magnifying glass, both of which work properly only when I log in. 
But behind some place names, just a magnifying glass, when I click on it, both map (with arrow) 
and people associated with the place are displayed.
My web page: http://stromsnes.info/tng/
Grateful for help.

Merry Christmas to everyone
Arnulf

Arnulf,

Sounds like you have the Geocode Assist Mod installed.  The globe is only added to place names that have not yet been geocoded.  The geocode capability and thus the globe display is only shown when logged in as administrator.

Hopefully this explains why the globe does not always display.

• 1 month later...
When the mouse pointer is held above the magnifying glass, this message appears: “Find all individuals with event at this location”. 
This text is incorrect because when users (not only administrator) click on the magnifying glass, the location is displayed on 
a map and all individuals with event at this location. 
I hope somebody can change the TNG program so that all users can get a small globe.

As Ken said - if you have added the Mod, the globe only shows for locations that do NOT YET have Geocode co-ordinates. This enables you as administrator to click on the globe and get the co-ords.

Why do you want everyone to see the globe?  Are you allowing everyone to update your genealogy?

The GeoCode Assistant globe is shown only to the administrators to allow them to click on it and update the geocodes (latitude, longitude, placelevel, and zoom) .  It has no other purpose.

No, I do not want everyone to be able to update my family history. 
But a globe will tell a user (not logged in) that a click on the globe will take him to a map. 
The magnifying glass does not tell the user that it takes him to a map, 
nor does the text tell him to be directed to a map.

Sadly Arnulf, that is not the purpose of the green globe as Ken has pointed out and you should not look for someone to change TNG that so all users can see the globe in the future because GeoCode Assistant is a tool for the Admin to know if the place has or has not been Geocoded so your users can see a given place on a map.

Also, you should not uninstall GeoCode Assistant as it is useful for you the Administrator of your site if you like the mod with respect to its intended purpose. Mod Manager is also a part of the TNG core program so deleting it is not an option either, but you can refrain from using it.

That said, what you should probably do is create a welcome page with a link on your home page that points out a few of the things about your site that might not be easily noticed by the casual visitor.

Thank you for your information and tips. I like TNG, but TNG can be made more user friendly (self instructiv). 
The magnifying glass should give the user (not logged in) information about what it leads to and a new globe can do so.

The globe should have been red before geocoding, and have text asking the administrator to geocode.
After geocoding, the globe can get green color and be visible to administrator and regular users. and lead to a map.
But of course, the globe must not log in regular users.

TNG should be improved. When visitors click on the magnifying glass, a map pop up. 
But the guide to the magnifying glass does not tell the visitor anything about a map. The text need to be changed. 
The magnifying glass that directs visitors to a map should be changed to an image that makes the visitor think of a map.
A globe can be used, but it must be a different globe than the one shown to the administrator before geocoding.

Arnulf, In my opinion, TNG does not need improvement for this option as hovering your mouse over the magnifying glass reads "Find all individuals with events at this location" and that is exactly what TNG does, It finds, hence a magnifying glass. 

The globe only comes into use as previously explained but you have to also keep in mind that not all people choose to add geocodes to TNG so seeing a magnifying glass and a list of places is appropriate.

And this is what is so nice about TNG...

If you prefer to see a globe then you can just modify your site by replacing the appropriate ?.gif in the img directory with a small globe, then you would see a globe vice a magnifying glass. However, if you do decide to change the magnifying gif, and you also use the geocode assist mod, then you might want to find a different globe, so you would know which places have yet to be geocoded.

(ha ha), I did not try it, but using the same globe does look ok and it should definitely fix Arnulf's needs.

Say, on this geocode topic,  have a general question.  With ancestors from Bohemia, which is a valid geocode location, as along as modern city names are used within that region, is there a way to notate within the place house nbrs w/o geocode failing?  e.g., Kunzer #64, Desenice, Bohemia will not geocode, but Desenice, Bohemia will.  I've been googling about on this but haven't seen a solution.  I would prefer to keep the house # within the Place, if possible. They all come from a desktop appliation which is my primary input database and could be manually entered there.

Ron

1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

Say, on this geocode topic,  have a general question.  With ancestors from Bohemia, which is a valid geocode location, as along as modern city names are used within that region, is there a way to notate within the place house nbrs w/o geocode failing?  e.g., Kunzer #64, Desenice, Bohemia will not geocode, but Desenice, Bohemia will.  I've been googling about on this but haven't seen a solution.  I would prefer to keep the house # within the Place, if possible. They all come from a desktop appliation which is my primary input database and could be manually entered there.

Ron

Hi Ron, Shouldn't you be able to search/geocode the location with the modern name but still name the place with the historic name?

Yes, as Merv says, I simply search with the modern name, which places the pin on the map, then save it as the historic name all the time.

This is a bit off subject but having (subtle?) animated gifs for certain elements on a persons page would draw the attention of the viewer and emphasis its importance. A persons biography would be a good example. Is this worth starting up a new thread??

bio icon2.gif

4 hours ago, Merv said:

Hi Ron, Shouldn't you be able to search/geocode the location with the modern name but still name the place with the historic name?

I am checking out Family Historian; I believe I can do that.  Thanks for the tip.

Ron