TNG Community
kempons

Suggest.php to send to Branch specific email address

kempons

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has written a mod to use suggest form (suggest.php) to send to a specific email address for a branch?

I am looking to try and implement collaboration between contributors to specific branches in my one-name study and would like to utilise a contact form via suggest.php to the branch specific alias of all contributors.

This will enable the use of captcha and prevent direct spamming of an email address.

KevyNC

I have see this or a version of CAPTCHA  (selecting the images that don't belong etc) on other TNG Website and also wondered how it could be implemented to prevent SPAM.

I am searching for the solution and will let you know if I come up with anything.

KevyNC

Kempons,

I was able to get this working on my site:

http://alveslaborefamily.net/

Click on "Contact Us" and it will display the reCaptcha when you are not  logged in.

When you test, remember to try in new Browser and not be logged in.  It is designed to not display when you are logged (which I forgot when I first tested).

Good Luck,

Kevin

jayat1familytree

You could probably modify the admin_mailusers.php script.   Which already has a selector for selecting a branch.

look at Admin> Users> Email tab.

kempons

Jay,

Good idea, however I was preferring to use the Suggest form to allow others to email contributors to the specific branch. 

I would control the name and membership of the branch contact email address, simply wishing to use the existing form to mitigate spam.

Thanks.

Merv
33 minutes ago, kempons said:

Good idea, however I was preferring to use the Suggest form to allow others to email contributors to the specific branch. 

Hi, One problem i can see is that some individuals in your database may belong to more than one branch and not one specific branch. Many do in mine.

kempons

Merv,

Yes they may belong to multiple branches, however this would enable them to be contacted by other researchers to discuss possible updates/connections to their branch.

For clarity, I am proposing for Branch A, suggest.php can send to "members-branchA"  and this alias is controlled by the admin of the site with members added to this alias as they become connected to the branch through contributing or seeking assistance.

stores

Perhaps you could try using the mod "Forum for TNG" https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Forum_for_TNG

Then create a forum for each unique branch as it allows "Users with a registred (in TNG) e-mail can watch threads (receive a message about new posts)."

Possibly an option as this would allow other contributors to create posts thus emails would be sent to other registered users watching that forum.

kempons

Jim,

I had looked at Forum for TNG however there are restrictions that the member needs to be a registered TNG user to participate. 

As I am conducting an one-name study, I have numerous email contacts from many years that have not registered as a member of the website, however they do still retain an interest in their particular branch/family/inidividual.

Through email, I can cater for collaboration both within and without the TNG website.

Ken Roy

The suggest.php sends the email to the email address in the Tree record.  It already has built-in captcha support if you implement one of the TNG Captcha mods

kempons

Ken,

Yes I am aware that suggest.php sends email to the tree owner email address and incorporates Captcha. 

I have many branches in 1 tree, so I am looking for a mod to suggest.php to send to an admin specified email address per branch to facilitate collaboration between researchers. Thanks.

Ken Roy

Andrew,

You might have better luck asking Darrin to make that part of TNG.  A lot of the mod developers are not into collaborative web site development.   I think that would be a major change to the way things currently work.

kempons

Ken,

Thanks as always. I will reach out to Darrin as suggested.