TNG Community

Import works on one site but not another

Chris Gray

I have a GEDCOM which I can import on one TNG 11.1 site, but "pauses" when importing on a 11.1.1 site on the same server (so same versions of PHP,  mySQL).  The pause is at the screen which is saying "Opening ...ged".  I have tried both importing from my PC and from the local directory.  I have also tried importing into a new tree.  The TNG "diagnostic" is showing no issues.  I can access the database (e.g. list users).  My next step was to re-install TNG.  Is that a reasonable step?  Is there something else I should be looking at?

If re-install TNG - what is the best way to do it?  The site has been around since V10 and I have been upgrading as each release came out.

We do have backups of the complete site - but are unclear as to when the issue occurred and, as it is associated with a Wordpress component, restoring could risk overwriting recent Wordpress work (just upgraded) and I would need to investigate that risk first.

All ideas and comments very welcomed.

Is your TNG and WordPress integrated using the TNG-WordPress plugin?

When you have the TNG Admin open is it inside of WordPress or is out outside of the WordPress header and footer?

Roger

Wordpress is in the root directory with TNG in a subdirectory.  They are not linked in anyway - though the intention is to do so at some future date.  The hosting company uses Installatron to automate some tasks - including installing, upgrading and backing up the standard applications - which includes Wordpress but not TNG.  As TNG is in a subdirectory, and uses the same database as that for Wordpress, the backup of Wordpress also backs up TNG files and database.  So - restoring from a backup, would restore Wordpress and TNG files/data.  I probably could work-around this if I needed to - e.g. restore to a different location/database  and selectively copy the TNG files/data back - but I would rather not if there is a simpler approach.

So - TNG administration is done by accessing TNG directly.

regards - Chris  

jayat1familytree

Chris, can you make a NEW gedcom and try that?  

Also open the gedcom in a text editor and look for any empty or blank lines (two blank lines will definitely cause tng to pause.........)

Hi,

I used a tree of Oliver CROMWELL - and it failed.

I used TNG on the site where the import "worked" to export a GEDCOM which I then tried to import to the "problem" TNG installation.  As before - it failed very early in the process in that it "paused" at the very first screen.  I doubt that the TNG version issues would make any difference - the "working" installation being 11.1 and the problem site being 11.1.2.

There was a difference between the statistics that TNG recorded about the file successfully imported and the same data exported.  Does that indicate an issue?

Imported:  17291 People, 5714 Families, 13546 Sources, 0 Repositories, 21158 Notes, 24000 Media, 8283 Places

Exported:  17291 People, 5714 Families, 13546 Sources, 0 Repositories, 73184 Notes, 10800 Media, 7225 Places

I am close to looking at re-installing - but am wary in case it deletes what is already there.  I suppose I could backup the current installation - that is back up the database and copy the config files to a safe place - re-install from scratch, restore the database and the config files and see if that makes any difference.  However - I have not done that before and would appreciate any "gotchas" I need to be wary of.

Many thanks to every one for advice and guidance