TNG Community

Securing a family tree on the Internet

tadeko

Hi

I create a genealogy page in TNG on my local computer. I want to publish it on the internet. I will do it only when I am sure that the data (information, documents, photos) that I do not want to share publicly, no one on the Internet will see.

However, I do not know what to do to ensure the maximum security and privacy of data in the family tree.

I know that TNG does not display (for people not logged in) information about people that have been marked as "living". It also displays for those who have died but have been marked alive (I have such people in a tree that I do not want to reveal even though they are dead and I have indicated that they are alive). However, I am aware that setting a live tag is only the first step to ensure data security.

I learned that the data can be stolen by the bad internet robots. I know there is a TNG file in tngrobots.php. I do not know if this file is running on TNG since it was installed, or if you have to run it yourself. I also do not know to what extent it protects against data disclosure and whether it protects against those bad robots.

Maybe there are some other dangers I do not know.

What should I do, step by step, to maximize my data protection in the genealogical tree published on the Internet?
Can anyone help me with this?

Tadeusz

I think that what you want is impossible. Once anything is published on the internet it is vulnerable to being copied.

You can make information in your TNG setup only viewable by logged in visitors and you can control who you give access to.

Look at the general setup in admin and select privacy. There are also Mods available to add further restrictions.