TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
tngrlkrz

Need a Language Variable for box header

tngrlkrz

Hoping someone can give me a coding tip. Currently have this line of code:

$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action='kicker.php' target='_blank'><b>RESEARCH POPULAR SITES   <br />;
<select onchange=submit() multiple name=\"researchlink\" size=\"3\" style=\"vertical-align:text-top;\">
<option value=$callres[0] >$rv[0]</option>  
......more options
</select>
</form>";

-----

giving me this:

2017-09-28_19-27-02.jpg

I wish to have a cust_text variable in various languages I support, in the form $text[rm-header] = "Research Popular Sites".  I've tried various ways such as :

$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action='kicker.php' target='_blank'><b><?php echo $text['rm-header'] ; ?><br />;

but no luck.

I tinker in coding, but could use help on this.

Thanks,

Ron

Ken Roy
48 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

Hoping someone can give me a coding tip. Currently have this line of code:

$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action='kicker.php' target='_blank'><b>RESEARCH POPULAR SITES   <br />;
<select onchange=submit() multiple name=\"researchlink\" size=\"3\" style=\"vertical-align:text-top;\">
<option value=$callres[0] >$rv[0]</option>  
......more options
</select>
</form>";

-----

giving me this:

2017-09-28_19-27-02.jpg

I wish to have a cust_text variable in various languages I support, in the form $text[rm-header] = "Research Popular Sites".  I've tried various ways such as :

$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action='kicker.php' target='_blank'><b><?php echo $text['rm-header'] ; ?><br />;

but no luck.

I tinker in coding, but could use help on this.

Thanks,

Ron

Try using

$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action='kicker.php' target='_blank'><b>$text['rm-header']</b><br />;

tngrlkrz

Thanks Ken,

I think I tried that earlier, thought it would work, ..but I get this error:

2017-09-28_20-49-26.jpg

Ron

tngrlkrz

Ken,

Redefining the variable as following is working for me, don't really know why, but now can do my languages.  What I did notice, is that any variable with text > 8 characters, will not print/display between the " > <" arrows of the <form method = 'post'.

$rmheader=$text['rm-heade'];
$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action='kicker.php' target='_blank'><b> $rmheade</b><br />;

Ron

Ken Roy

Not sure that it has to do with the length.  I forgot that quoted variables within another php variable need to be within braces so the correct syntax would be

$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action='kicker.php' target='_blank'><b>{$text['rm-header']}</b><br />;

tngrlkrz
1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

Not sure that it has to do with the length.  I forgot that quoted variables within another php variable need to be within braces so the correct syntax would be

$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action='kicker.php' target='_blank'><b>{$text['rm-header']}</b><br />;

OK, for clarification, will try that and post results, though I may have tried braces as well.  I misstated the limitation; it was the variable name (in brackets) , not the text itself, that, through experimentation, was not displaying when over 8 characters, e.g, $rmheader worked, but $rm-header would not (no $text and brackets/braces).  The actual text could be any length.

Ron

tngrlkrz
2 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Thanks Ken, that does work, regardless of variable name length. Not sure what  syntax I was violating that encountered the 8 character barrier.

Ron