TNG Community
RickGleason

Reunion for the Mac Users - I Have a Question!

RickGleason

I've been building, debugging and tweaking my new website for nine days now. That's how long I've used the TNG software as well.

For many years I've used Reunion for the Mac software to manage my nearly 24,000 names and 8,200+ families. It's been ground zero for all-things relative to my family history and genealogy. The go-to source for everything. It's served it's purposes well. However, now with the new site up and running, I may have to reconsider my options. To date all the data on the site originates first from my Reunion program on my MacBook. Then it's uploaded to the site, in order to keep the two in sync. I'm finding that while this has a few advantages, it also has a LOT of disadvantages. Especially when I'm planning to allow corrections and changes to the site from a limited amount of users. This was a primary reason for creating the website. It's a way to share all that information and have others take on some of the burden of filling in the blanks. In addition, rather than having to answer literally hundreds of inquiries via email and messaging a year, I can just refer them to the website. 

MY QUESTION is this: For those of you with a background using Reunion -- beyond the obvious -- what are the pros and cons of maintaining the data found on the website on your home computer?  Did you eliminate Reunion all-together or are you still using it, and why? It seems to me that since I'm opening up the database for input from others, it's going to make maintaining a copy of the data on my computer a difficult proposition. Unless there's some way to download a GEDCOM file from the site containing every individual and their families along with their thousands of notes.

Enlighten me... please! And thank you in advance.

Bob Mallett

I don't use Reunion, I use TMG, but the process is the same.  There was a period of time when I allowed certain members to make edits directly on my TNG site, but I no longer allow it, because I found it difficult to get them to adhere to certain standards of best practice, and often I was unaware of what they had done, and on at least one occasion I wiped out someone's work by uploading a new gedcom.  So, I now use TMG as my master database, make all of the edits myself, and upload a new gedcom to TNG from time to time.

Bruce Roy

Rick, I use Reunion as a backup to my TNG site. I used to do it the other way round but as you have found out it makes it difficult to include on-line contributions. It is also quicker and easier to do my own edits online. 

I also use Reunion to create charts since in Reunion you can edit charts to focus on what you want to display - see my Overviews charts: https://royroyes.net/browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=chart

Bruce Roy

RickGleason

Thanks to the both of you for sharing your experience and thoughts.

My question for Bruce: You indicated you "use Reunion as a backup to [your] TNG site." Does that mean there's a way to download via GEDCOM the entire database from the website to your computer?

(By the way, I noted your Overview Charts. Very nice)!

So many questions... so little time! 🤔

Bruce Roy

Yes, you can. You will have to edit any custom events - Reunion will import them as *New

("CODE" being the TNG "Tag" for a custom event you have created e.g., OCCU = Occupation) which you can edit in Reunion and it will remember that. (This applies in reverse when importing a Reunion gedcom into TNG - See Custom Event Types in TNG's Administration section.