TNG Community

Long titles and short titles

Jane

My apologies for an ambiguous question. I was referring to the 'form' to fill in when entering a new Source. There are two blanks, one to fill in a Short Title and another to fill in a Long Title. I've observed the Short Title is used in the list when Sources is clicked (to pull up a complete list of all previously entered sources). But I don't know if the Short Title appears anywhere else, i.e., Reports, Family Ground Sheets, etc. And I've no idea where the Long Title is ever used - possibly Reports, FGS, etc.

jayat1familytree

Jane , You should write to Darrin directly as he would know where each instance is used.

And it would be nice to post his response here so we all can learn.

This is the reply I got from Darrin:

Hi Jane,

I think the long title is used on the public page for the source. The short title should be used everywhere else, unless there is no long title.

-------------------------------------------

I then went into my admin, changed a long title, and looked to see what happened on the public side. The Long title changed only in the list of sources, not in the footnotes where the source is cited. Then I looked on the admin side, and found the Long title was changed in the Citations but not in the list of sources. Seems strange to me that opposite effects happened, a change in how Sources are listed in one case and how Citations are affected in the other.

Comments?

The Sources and Citations mod may be helpful.

This displays 'Title' in preference to 'Short Title' in Source Listing on Individual and Family pages, on the Show Source page, and in the heading of the Edit Source page. These programs normally display the short title, if present, and the full title only if the short title is not present.

Well, that brings up the question, how do I unzip a mod. I downloaded a mod for FindAGrave, it went into my computer's Downloads as a zip file. But now I'm stuck. When I double click to unzip I'm unable to figure out where to put it. The directions to put it in my mod folder. Where is it, and how do I get to it?

It looks like I've gotten the mod into the mod folder on the Remote site, and unzipped. But when I go to my website, admin,  and get into Mod Manager it isn't there. Am I missing a step?

Jane,

Check to make sure that your Admin:General Setup:Paths and Folders has a mods folder name matching the folder name you copied the cfg file into.

Screenshot (50).png

Ron