TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
David F W

Photo paths

Question

David F W

Hoping for a bit of help regarding photos.    For specific reasons I have created a number of databases for various specific family lines.    So I create a "Smith" database and create a gedcom for that line with media.    Everything shows up fine except of course for the photos.    I upload all my photos for all my lines to a file I created on the server and change the path to that folder.    It creates thumbnails which is easy.    However, when I look for the photo I only see it by hovering over the camera icon.   The thumbnail does not appear.    Nor does the picture if I click on the link.    So I know I am linking but for some reason not fully.  

If I move the photos to "smith/photos" everything works as it should.   However, I would like to put all my photos for all my databases in one folder with one upload, then link each database to that photo folder when I want the pictures and thumbnails to appear.    I don't see this as being an issue but for some reason it is.  

So my question would be is it possible to do this and if so how.    I have spent weeks trying to make this work and for some reason what I think should be easy isn't.  

7 answers to this question

manofmull
8 hours ago, David F W said:

Hoping for a bit of help regarding photos.    For specific reasons I have created a number of databases for various specific family lines.    So I create a "Smith" database and create a gedcom for that line with media.    Everything shows up fine except of course for the photos.    I upload all my photos for all my lines to a file I created on the server and change the path to that folder.    It creates thumbnails which is easy.    However, when I look for the photo I only see it by hovering over the camera icon.   The thumbnail does not appear.    Nor does the picture if I click on the link.    So I know I am linking but for some reason not fully.  

If I move the photos to "smith/photos" everything works as it should.   However, I would like to put all my photos for all my databases in one folder with one upload, then link each database to that photo folder when I want the pictures and thumbnails to appear.    I don't see this as being an issue but for some reason it is.  

So my question would be is it possible to do this and if so how.    I have spent weeks trying to make this work and for some reason what I think should be easy isn't.  

In Admin/Setup/Paths and Folders : your root path should be /home/*your site*/public_html/

Photo Folder:  photos

All your pics should be uploaded to the "photos" folder for TNG to find them

In Admin/Media/Thumbnails, have you used the Generate button (after ticking/checking the little boxes) ?

Your gedcom import will be using the paths you created and they are not the TNG default as above.

jayat1familytree

So David,

So for each database you are running complete version of TNG?

Then in each database Admin setup you need to change the path

David F W

Thanks for the responses but apparently there is no way to get this to work properly within the latest version.   With the path changed the photos show up if you put the pointer on the thumbnail column but the thumbnail photo itself does not appear nor does the photo link work.  It looks like I actually have to put the gedcom photo in the subdomain photo folder which means I have to upload all my photos to each subdomain and then the gedcom will pick out the appropriate ones.    I don't want to have to upload all my photos to each folder as it will take up too much room on the server, which is a waste.    Going to see if I can get RM to create photo subfolders somehow that I can then upload to each subdomain as a way around the issue but not overly optimistic.    

David F W

Quick update to the issue.    I found a way around the problem by creating a gedcom with media then opening it as a new database.   By doing a back up with media and then a restore of that database it created a new media subfolder with only the photos that I wanted.   From there I could upload those photos to the proper file in the subdomain and now everything works as it should.     A bit of extra work but it was important for me to keep my research in distinct subdomains without cluttering up the server unnecessarily.    Hopefully this helps others who may have the same or similar issues.  

jayat1familytree

David,

Not sure that I understand why you think you would be 'cluttering" the server.

If you have the photos in a diff subdomain, they are still on the same server....

You are just creating logistical nightmare for yourself in the future trying to keep everything in diff subdomains.

Not to mention any confusion should they be any crossover between databases.

But, whatever works best for you.

David F W

You may be right Jay but I am not sure if you understand what I am trying to accomplish.     I have wanted for years to break down specific family lines onto their own websites as each line is distinct in its own way and not really connected to each other except through me.   I need individual sites to match how I research, collect data, documents, stories and contacts as well as how I present it.    If I wanted to have my entire database on one site I could do it with RootsMagic, colour coding the lines and uploading with an older version.    And this would cost me nothing but not what I want.   It would also limit me to what I can do as well.  

I guess I am looking at the only way of making TNG work properly within its parameters,  is duplicating my entire photo collection in each different subdomains, which I think may take up space unnecessarily as many would be duplicates that are not even relevant to that particular sub.    This way I load only the connected photos to the subs while adding a few additional steps to the gedcom upload.   The other option is splitting them out manually which with the numbers I have would be a nightmare and extremely time consuming.    I am trying to get the computer to do that for me basically but still playing with it as I have run into a few minor snags that I need to sort out.   

I was hoping that I could just change the path to the photos in each subdomain to one place on the server within TNG but that is not yet possible so I have to find another way if I want to accomplish what I want.    Until TNG comes up with a way to do that I am limited in my choices and I am not sure if that fix is something Darrin would find worthwhile pursuing.   

Newfloridian

You can do this using branches within TNG. Please see my PM to you

Alan