TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
RickGleason

Corrected Place Names Do Not Show Up

RickGleason

I noted today when I went to the "Find Places" screen I saw errors in my place names that were showing up in the the list of Top 30 Largest localities report (see attachment). The issue was some of my place names ended with their abbreviated states name and not with USA which is the Norman my data. I've strived with great pain to ensure my place names are consistent with city or town, County, State followed by USA. An example would be "Akron, Summit Co., OH, USA" In the case of foreign countries my standard is:  Glastonbury, Somerset, ENGLAND

So anyway I spent a good hour or two correcting the names in my Reunion program, then uploaded a new GEDCOM.
 But, when I loaded my website none of those corrections took affect! The Place List screen shows no changes!

So what did I miss?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Place List Top 30 2017-09-03 at 11.01.53 PM.png

RickGleason

I noted yesterday when I went to the "Find Places" screen I saw errors in my place names that were showing up in the the list of Top 30 Largest localities report (see attachment). The issue was some of my place names ended with their abbreviated states name and not with USA which is the Norman my data. I've strived with great pain to ensure my place names are consistent with city or town, County, State followed by USA. An example would be "Akron, Summit Co., OH, USA" In the case of foreign countries my standard is:  Glastonbury, Somerset, ENGLAND

So anyway I spent a good hour or two correcting the names in my Reunion program, then uploaded a new GEDCOM.
 But, when I loaded my website none of those corrections took affect! The Place List screen shows no changes!

So what did I miss?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Place List Top 30 2017-09-03 at 11.01.53 PM.png

jayat1familytree

Rick,

Did you 'empty' the places table before you uploaded the Gedcom?  

I usually do not empty that table, because TNG will just add to the end any new places it finds.

But in your case where you are trying to replace bad place names its easier to do it the way you are and empty the tng_places table via phpmyadmin to get everything correct.

Jay

theKiwi

TNG doesn't always delete the places that are no longer linked/used.

If you're still working on getting things set up, you should do as I noted yesterday on your media query, and create the tables anew before doing the import to make sure that only those places listed in your latest Reunion GEDCOM file are imported in to TNG.

Roger

RickGleason

I thought that might be the issue. Everytime I do that, it rubs out everything. I then have to set up a new tree and a User account. Basically you're starting from scratch... But, if that's what it takes... good to know. Thanks again!

theKiwi
2 hours ago, RickGleason said:

I thought that might be the issue. Everytime I do that, it rubs out everything. I then have to set up a new tree and a User account. Basically you're starting from scratch... But, if that's what it takes... good to know. Thanks again!

Well you could get everything setup the way you want in terms of Tree and User, and then use the TNG Admin ------> Utilities to make a backup of all your tables.

Then when you want to nuke everything and start over, use the Create Tables button, then go to Utilities and Restore the Users and Tree tables.

Or if you're comfortable with phpMyAdmin you can use that to "Empty" the places, people, families, media and media_links tables at least - these are the ones that are causing you grief it seems.

Roger

RickGleason

Thank you for your reply. It appears I somehow posted this topic twice in Installation and Configuration (not sure how that happened).

In the other posting this method was suggested as a alternative. I'm still working on it. Thank you for your help.

theKiwi

OK - in theory I've merged these two topics into one - hopefully everything is now in one place for this discussion...

theKiwi
6 hours ago, stores said:

Roger, since he just wants to delete unused places, can't he just install the http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Places_Subject_to_Deletion mod and delete them? That is how I get rid of unused places left after an update.

I guess that should work too - I haven't used that Mod, so don't know exactly what it does and how it works.

Roger

Ken Roy

The Places Subject to Deletion mod is a TNG Admin > Places implementation of the Maintenance - Pooled Places no Events report SQL query provided by Luke Weerts and Mark Wonson, implemented with Mark Wonson and Warren Gilbert's help

I have been trying to get Darrin to incorporate it into TNG.  Maybe others should also request this functionality, since TNG no longer deletes places that include geocodes and any places that are shared with other trees (pooled places)

stores

The mod adds another search option... With no associated Events... Just check it, do a search, then delete any places it finds.

Delete.jpg