TNG Community

Custom Media Collections

Paul Barrett

Paul Barrett

Just been reading the wiki help on Media Collections because I want to divide my documents up into smaller groups such as births, death, marriages, census etc.

There's a field on the "Add Collection" screen called "Export As:" that defaults to "PHOTO"

2017-08-09_17-07-48.png

What's the purpose of this field please?

Regards

Payl

The Help file explains it as..

Export as

When you export a GEDCOM file that includes media, the file will contain a line for each item indicating what type of media it is. This should be a single word in uppercase. For example, a photo will be exported with the type "PHOTO". If you are creating a new Collection called "Newspapers", you may want to put "NEWSPAPER" in this field.

Paul Barrett
17 minutes ago, stores said:

The Help file explains it as..

Export as

When you export a GEDCOM file that includes media, the file will contain a line for each item indicating what type of media it is. This should be a single word in uppercase. For example, a photo will be exported with the type "PHOTO". If you are creating a new Collection called "Newspapers", you may want to put "NEWSPAPER" in this field.

Thank you!

I added it to the Wiki

Paul,

I added the following note to what you added to the wiki article

Note that if you are exporting a GEDCOM to be imported into a genealogy desktop program that only recognizes PHOTO as the media type, you may want to leave the Export As value as PHOTO.  See Export Media For Desktop

Since this field was added to TNG to allow control of how the media collection is exported.  Some desktop programs only recognize PHOTO as a media type.

Paul Barrett
1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

Paul,

Note that if you are exporting a GEDCOM to be imported into a genealogy desktop program that only recognizes PHOTO as the media type, you may want to leave the Export As value as PHOTO.  See Export Media For Desktop

Since this field was added to TNG to allow control of how the media collection is exported.  Some desktop programs only recognize PHOTO as a media type.

Thanks Ken

So if you are gedcomming out of and into TNG you would want to export as the custom collection type but for other programs you would need to check what they accept and adjust the settings accordingly?

Paul

5 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Paul,

I think that most software would support PHOTO and "DOCUMENT" - some use those two exactly, but for reasons I don't understand Reunion for Macintosh uses "PHOTO DOCUMENT" when it exports a document to a GEDCOM file. I don't know if others support "PHOTO DOCUMENT" or it's just Reunion (and TNG).

Roger

4 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

So if you are gedcomming out of and into TNG you would want to export as the custom collection type but for other programs you would need to check what they accept and adjust the settings accordingly?

Why are you using GEDCOM to move stuff in and out of TNG - if it's from one TNG site to another you should move backups of, or the actual database tables?

Roger

Paul Barrett
On 10/08/2017 at 0:32 AM, theKiwi said:

Why are you using GEDCOM to move stuff in and out of TNG - if it's from one TNG site to another you should move backups of, or the actual database tables?

Roger

I'm not.  I was thinking about doing it as a solution to the issue of changing all existing People IDs from I to P but the potential  enormity of the task made be back off.

Paul

jayat1familytree

Paul,

ONLY do this on a test database first from phpmyadmin

these are all the  tng_tables that have references to Person ID  (11 tables)

tng_associations.personID
tng_branches.personID
tng_children.personID
dna_links.personID
dna_tests.personID
tng_events.personID
tng_medialinks.personID
tng_mostwanted.personID
tng_people.personID
tng_temp_events.personID
tng_users.personID

replace the "tablename" with one table at a time for each of these to change all instances if personID beginning with I to begin with P

SELECT tng_tablename,personID,  
REPLACE(personID,'I','P')   
FROM tng_tablename   
WHERE personID LIKE 'I%';

like this

SELECT tng_people,personID,  
REPLACE(personID,'I','P')   
FROM tng_people 
WHERE personID LIKE 'I%';

repeat for each table one at a time

then need to do the same for each table with persfamID (3 tables)

tng_branchlinks.persfamID
tng_citations.persfamID
tng_notelinks.persfamID

SELECT tng_tablename,persfamID,  
REPLACE(persfamID,'I','P')   
FROM tng_tablename   
WHERE persfamID LIKE 'I%';

Last two fields in the tng_families table
tng_families.husband
tng_families.wife

SELECT tng_families,husband,  
REPLACE(husband,'I','P')