TNG Community

Login with email

jayat1familytree

jayat1familytree

Does anyone know of a MOD that would allow for Users to log in using their email addy instead of their user name?

Seem to have a lot of login in problems with users.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay, the query for login starts at line 23 of processlogin.  You could change the else to do a copy of that whole section but with the email address instead.  Then it would do the failure if neither one matches.

jayat1familytree

Thanks, but that coding is way past my skill level.

Thanks Brent.  Your Email_Username mod works very nicely with Linc Haymaker's (also unpublished)  UserLoginEmailModManager mod which reports which (username or email) was used to successfully or unsuccessfully login.

Ron

Chris Lloyd

Sounds like both of those should be in the mod list for others to use :)

I agree with you Chris, but I guess it's up to the authors, Brent and Linc.  Personally, I already made a small change to Brent's so that the login prompt  'Username or Email Address' (in 4 languages, as well).  They are small, but useful snippets of code, IMO.

Chris,
    I was just making a quick solution for Jay.  I didn't think having the login check code telling column names for the security was a good thing to post on the forum.  Jay asked if he could publish the mod and was adding the changes to the text like Ron.  I said that was fine.  At least on the wiki it could be made to have to log in to download, like some of the other mods.

Ron,
     One thing I mentioned to Jay about Linc's mod was that it probably is not the best to send a failed password in the email, since it could be the user's password for some other site.  There is no need to have that wrong password be potentially exposed along with the corresponding email address.  Chances of the email being intercepted and copies elsewhere is unknown, but just in case the email and password go together for some other site it would be best not to potentially cause a problem for the user.
     You could provide to Jay the additional languages, so he can add those to the mod.  My version was just the basics and not much more than the basics of what I had said could be done.  Adding the text that goes along with the code changes makes it more publishable.

Brent

Chris Lloyd

I understand your concerns - wasn't suggesting posting it to the forum but making it available through the wiki :)

Brent,

I hope you didn't mind my mentioning your name and unpublished mod; I couldn't keep it to myself. I agree with you about not posting the actual changes of this type of mod here (only offline).  I also agree that a failed password probably should not be returned to admin.  I plan to make that change. I just like knowing how many visitors to my site actually login as opposed to being anonymous, and if anyone is having trouble logging in.  I think giving them the email login option is in line with many website logins today, and permits the user to skip the 'forgot password' procedure as well.

As to the languages, I'm using the TNG language switching capability and language flag Mod for all my homepage and other mod changes within one larger personal  'languages mod' with changes to the respective cust_text.php file.  So language changes are not isolated to this email Mod.

I also dusted off another author's unpublished mod 'loglook.php' which gives admin a better look at genlog.txt  and reports various statistics:

Screenshot (7).png

jayat1familytree

OH Ron, I would really appreciate the updated version of loglook.... 

I really liked that script and still want to incorporate the User Permissions back into a "User Profile" page

user_permissions_signals.jpg

Thanks!!

Jay

I would appreciate the updated version of loglook.php as well. I am currently using the 18 Dec 2009 version.

25 minutes ago, jayat1familytree said:

OH Ron, I would really appreciate the updated version of loglook.... 

I really liked that script and still want to incorporate the User Permissions back into a "User Profile" page

Thanks!!

Jay

Hi Jay,

Not sure how the user permissions and screenshot relate to loglook, but in deference to the author, who hasn't published this revised mod, I will sent it it to you offline.  I did convert the mysql_ to tng_  statements.

Ron

On 8/6/2017 at 7:59 PM, tngrlkrz said:

Hi Jay,

Not sure how the user permissions and screenshot relate to loglook, but in deference to the author, who hasn't published this revised mod, I will sent it it to you offline.  I did convert the mysql_ to tng_  statements.

Ron

Robert Morss is the author of the loglook.php script. In looking at my email, I have a private email chain with he and Darlene Bittaker from 2013 regarding the script. At that time, he indicated that he was winding down development of the script and he sent us a final version. I have not seen Robert on the User List or the Forum since that time.

I also modified the queries as Ron did, but strangely enough, it works without the fixed queries on my site. I also just noticed that if you are using the customized mods log, it only pulls data from the default log; not the users or bot logs.

The version I have is dated 22 Apr 2013. Ron, what is the version you are using?

Same version info, and Robert sent it along to me with a few fixes but w/o updating the version information.  This was this past May.  I was having a bunch of 'problem lines' displayed, and his changes removed most of those.  I'll check and see what changes he made.

Edit/Update: Not sure what has changed, I would suggest just comparing to the one I sent Jay.  Will sent off list to you.

• 1 year later...

Robert,

It's good to see you on the forum again. I am interested in downloading your updated loglook.php. Are you willing to share?

In the past, I have thought it might be nice to integrate loglook with the Customized Logs Mod, but did not want to do so without your permission. What do you think?

Thanks,

Bryan

7 hours ago, rdmorss said:

FYI - I recently upgraded to TNG 12 and have spent some time updating my mods accordingly, including loglook.php (AKA genlog.txt analytics).

Robert,

Have pm'd you trying latest version of loglook.

Thanks,

Ron

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2019 at 9:05 PM, tngrlkrz said:

Robert,

Have pm'd you trying latest version of loglook.

Thanks,

Ron

I would love a copy of this as well.  It's too bad we don't have an updated mod, or even better it's too bad this and other mods haven't been adopted by the platform since they have been proven to work so well.