TNG Community

Problem, and I need help

jefflev

No, it is nothing to do with any of those files.

Either you need to upgrade to TNG 11.1 which then gives you a place to put the map key right in the TNG Settings pages 

or

try putting that line in the file

meta.php

putting it after the last 

?>

if there are any in that file.

Roger

26 minutes ago, jefflev said:

I did what you suggested and nothing, maps still doesn't show.

Jeff

In your TNG settings for Site Design and Definition, what is set for "Custom Meta" - is it meta.php or something else?

If it's not meta.php then change it so it is, and put that line into the end of your meta.php file.

It should then show up in the source code of every page on your site - right now it's not showing there.

Roger

It is set on meta.php. And forgive me, but what should I put in the meta.php file? The map api key script?

If it were me, at this point, I would try the upgrade path but I would 1st contact Darrin and tell him of the issue you are having and that you have tried everything recommended by other users on the TNG Community Forum for the past month and nothing seems to work and that you would like to try and upgrade to TNG 11 to see if that fixes it, but if it does not fix the problem, can you get a refund. I only say that because upgrading is not a sure fix and it might not solve your problem and if it doesn't then why pay for the upgrade.

That said, as this thread shows, different people are experiencing different results... My TNG 7 online site has an API Key from way way back and the maps work fine and always have... My offline Wamp TNG 11.1.1 site does not have an API Key and I don't remember ever getting one for my offline site but the maps work fine and always have... I will say that when I look at Admin Configuration in the Map Settings I simply have the number 1 in the Map Key block and I do get a NoApiKeys warning when I look at the console but as I said, Maps work fine (Knock on wood) and always have, so, for me, if it's not broke etc....

API Key - Error - Offline Wamp.jpg

24 minutes ago, jefflev said:

It is set on meta.php. And forgive me, but what should I put in the meta.php file? The map api key script?

Yes - put this in the meta.php file

example1.jpg

Roger

I added the api script in the meta.php file and it breaks my site, so I had to remove it.  

Can some of you talented mod writers create a mod to fix this problem?

Thanks

Jeff

4 hours ago, jefflev said:

Can some of you talented mod writers create a mod to fix this problem?

What is the objection to upgrading your site to TNG 11.1?

Really don't object. It just seems to me, there should be a fix for this! I'm pretty sure I'm not the only v.10.1.3 user out there who's maps do not display properly. Or maybe I am, who knows. I'm still not totally convinced it isn't just a problem on my local machine. 

Thank you guys for all your input

Jeff

17 hours ago, jefflev said:

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only v.10.1.3 user out there who's maps do not display properly. Or maybe I am, who knows.

Did your maps ever display?

If they did, I would have thought that replacing all your 10.1.3 files with installation copies would have set your site back to how it was when you started out.

If they never have, then possibly your files had some sort of corruption from the start.

NO! The maps use to display before and after I upgraded to 10.1.3 and I was using windows 8.1 operating system then. When windows came out with the free upgrade for windows 10 to replace the 8.1 I jumped on it thinking it would be a lot better system. Within a day or so of upgrading to w. 10 my health started failing and I dropped my webhosting because of it. Had more pressing matters to deal with.

Just here recently, (within this year) I decided to give my genealogy site another go. So I still had my copy of TNG v. 10.1.3 so I acquired another hosting company and uploaded my copy of TNG which was straight out of the box stock.  I just completed my cemetery list about 1.5 months ago and that's when I discovered the maps would not load. Keep in mind I was still not really use to w.10, that's why in my very first post I said I wasn't sure if my problem was from TNG or windows 10 and after all of these post, I'm still not sure. I'm reasonably sure I'm more confused than ever. LOL I would love to upgrade to the latest TNG version but unfortunately I just can't justify the expenditure right now not knowing for sure if my problem is local or not.

I contacted Darrin and he sent me a mappatch for TNG v. 11 but unfortunately it did not work.

Jeff 

40 minutes ago, jefflev said:

I just can't justify the expenditure right now not knowing for sure if my problem is local or not.

Your problem is NOT local - I do NOT see your maps.

Roger

3 hours ago, jefflev said:

Just here recently, (within this year) I decided to give my genealogy site another go. So I still had my copy of TNG v. 10.1.3 so I acquired another hosting company and uploaded my copy of TNG which was straight out of the box stock. 

Who is your host provider? Have you contacted them?

jayat1familytree

If you have already customized your files for TNG ver 10.1.3

then I think the upgrade to ver 11.1.0 would be minimal as far as any additional customizing.

I think it might be well worth the minimal cost and get the issue resolved that way rather than spending a week trying to find a work around.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a problem with using google maps too that is similar to that described by jefflev. I did acquire an api key and validated it via an html file. I never did see a brwoser option for this key as indicated in the wiki help file. I was able to use google maps in past versions of tng although not consistently.

Now, I get an error msg "Oops something wrong...see the javascript console. Where do I check that?

http://gordon11.com/genealogy/

map-central-islip-ok-2017-08-03_13-30-12.png

google-map-issue-bar-beach-rd-2017-08-03_13-36-42.png

33 minutes ago, MaryGB said:

Now, I get an error msg "Oops something wrong...see the javascript console. Where do I check that?

Depending on what browser you are using...

Safari - the Develop menu if it's enabled in the Preferences and then "View Javascript Console"

I tried to look at your site, but it requires a password...

Roger

I use chrome. I set up an account with user id tng.help and pwd TNGForum and would be delighted if you can help me get past this issue.

6 hours ago, MaryGB said:

I use chrome. I set up an account with user id tng.help and pwd TNGForum and would be delighted if you can help me get past this issue.

That account/password doesn't work (nor does tnghelp without the . in it

Roger

jayat1familytree

Mary,

Are you sure you have the correct Google Maps KEY?

the error i see is

js?language=&hl=en&key=AIzaSyBCb8TIAzp2ZVHamhSiy9Cm33lbaV3oOB0:35 Google Maps API error: RefererNotAllowedMapError https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#referer-not-allowed-map-error
Your site URL to be authorized: http://gordon11.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I11&tree=gordon11

which i think means its not seeing the correct maps key.

2 hours ago, jayat1familytree said:

js?language=&hl=en&key=AIzaSyBCb8TIAzp2ZVHamhSiy9Cm33lbaV3oOB0:35 Google Maps API error: RefererNotAllowedMapError https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#referer-not-allowed-map-error
Your site URL to be authorized: http://gordon11.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I11&tree=gordon11

The problem according to Google is

The current URL loading the Google Maps JavaScript API has not been added to the list of allowed referrers. Please check the referrer settings of your API key on the Google API Console.

Have you verified your Map Key with Google - i.e. you've told Google what domain name you are using it with?

Roger

• 1 month later...

Merv, have you found a solution to this problem yet?

I am running the latest version (v11.1.1) of TNG and I don't have a problem with maps on my main website. I did, however, have a problem when using the same version of TNG on my LOCAL machine (PHP 7.1.4 and MySQL 5.0.12).

Everything seemed to work EXCEPT when trying to add Latitude and Longitude data to an image from the admin_editmedia.php page (Show/hide clickable map). In this instance the map did not show and I got the "Oops .." error. I tried adding the Google API Key as per instructions in this thread but to no avail.

I solved my problem by replacing the line
       echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\" src=\"{$http}://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?language={$text['glang']}\"></script>\n";

with
        echo "<script async defer src=\"https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=YourAPIKey&callback=initMap\" type=\"text/javascript\"></script>";

in my local version of admin_editmedia.php and everything works ok.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil (aka RottenSod)

• 1 month later...

I have not resolved this but did get side-tracked on other projects. Just today, I found my api and verified that I have the right code entered in my map settings. 

I had gone through the verify steps at the time when I originally posted this.  If I follow your instructions and change the file admin_editmedia.php won't I have problems with upgrades in the future?