TNG Community

Problem, and I need help

jefflev

I'm not sure if this problem is related to TNG or my windows 10 home addition operating system but here it goes. I discovered this updating my cemeteries list. Please see attached jpg image! I know the map is suppose to display with the numbered place markers showing and it actually does for about 1.5 seconds then it changes to the gray screen you see in the attached image. I have gone to the Java console and see nothing out of the ordinary. I can load google maps and they will show in my browser and by the way I have tried in IE, windows edge, google chrome and firefox browsers with the same results. The other image is a screen shot of google map working so this makes me think it's TNG related. This only happens through my TNG application. My TNG version is 10.1.3 and my Java application is up to date. Has anyone else experienced my problem and if you have, how did you correct it? I appreciate any and all help I can get.

Jeff

Map load problem.jpg

working java script.jpg

The Google Map API now requires that you have a key to access the Google Maps.  Support was provided as a Patch to TNG 11 and incorporated into TNG 11.0.2 and later releases

Hello Ken and thanks for your reply. After reading your post I created a Google Map API key and added my website to the credentials page plus I did the domain verification step as well. It stated on the page to allow 5 minutes to take affect and I gave it 60 minutes and I still have the same problem. The map will load for a second and go back to gray. Unless I missed a step in obtaining the map api key but I don't think I did.

Does the map not load for everyone until I resolve this key issue or just me?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

Not only do you need a Google Maps API, you need the TNG version that supports passing the key on the request.  So you will need to upgrade to the latest TNG version to resolve this issue.

2 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Jeff,

Not only do you need a Google Maps API, you need the TNG version that supports passing the key on the request.  So you will need to upgrade to the latest TNG version to resolve this issue.

Ok, will do! 

Thanks

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to revisit this issue of the google maps not showing. Since the last post back on 6/9/2017, I have ran across several sites using the same version I'm using v.10.1.3 and noticed the google maps were showing on their sites. Now knowing this, I'm leaning more to the side of it's a windows 10 issue. Does anyone running windows 10 and TNG v. 10.1.3  have the same issue as me?  If so, what do I need to do to resolve my problem?  Any help out there? I have searched on the internet for a solution but haven't found one yet.

Jeff

Chris Lloyd

I'll have a look and see if I can replicate your issue on Win 10. Get back to you later.

Chris Lloyd

On an individuals page using TNG 10.3.1 and win 10 I get this:

indiv map.PNG

Chris Lloyd

On a cemeteries page I get this which suggests to me that it must be a setting on your local machine - not necessarily win

cemeteries map.PNG

Yes I want the maps to show also, did you look at my site to see the gray screen? I was using windows Edge browser but found out windows edge browser does not support javascript. I tried on IE 11 and mozilla firefox and I still get the gray screen on those as well. I went through the process of acquiring a Google Maps API key but still nothing other than the gray screen Did you use a Google API key?

Jeff

I am admin for a site using 10.1.3 and the maps have always displayed without a Google API key.

A couple of things you could try...

• Disable your mods to see if any of those are causing the problem
  • Replace all your 10.1.3 TNG files with the installation copies

jayat1familytree

Did you place the GOOGLE API key in your settings at

ADMIN> SETTINGS> Map Settings?

----- IF you upgraded to higher than 10.0.3 version of TNG

Chris Lloyd
2 hours ago, jefflev said:

Yes I want the maps to show also, did you look at my site to see the gray screen? I was using windows Edge browser but found out windows edge browser does not support javascript. I tried on IE 11 and mozilla firefox and I still get the gray screen on those as well. I went through the process of acquiring a Google Maps API key but still nothing other than the gray screen Did you use a Google API key?

Jeff

I don't use Edge and I didn't get the gray screen.

Newfloridian

Hi Jeff

Using Windows 10, I tried looking at the cemetery page you mentioned in Edge, Chrome and Firefox with the same grey screen that you got. Did you do what the grey screen then said? 

See the JavaScript console for technical details.

Screenshot attached.

I also use TNG10.1.3 but I don't get a grey screen when looking at a cemetery page on my own site using Edge - or the other browsers.

I can't offer you any definite help here. I know as Ken said that there have been threats from Google about its maps service and I know there was something as he said in a later mod and then TNG version 11 fix. I'm also wondering whether the issue is similar to the error messages that the console threw up when fuxing issues with the change from http:// to https://. One suggestion in that case was to clear your browser caches, reboot your computer and try again. Maybe you could try that.#

Alan   

console.jpg

To answer Jayat1familytree question, no because I don't see where to add the key.

To answer Newfloridian question, yes I cleared my browser caches and rebooted several times. Also concerning your screenshot  image, I viewed the explanations and found the map key php script to add to my site but I am unclear on where to add it. Would I add the php script to the "admin_mapconfig.php file or where exactly should I put it?

I also found that on a persons individual page I can click on the globe icon next to a location and it shows the gray screen, but you can click on the "Full Google Map Search" located in the lower left of the map screen and the map will display.

Thanks for everyone's help

Jeff

Chris Lloyd
6 hours ago, jefflev said:

I viewed the explanations and found the map key php script to add to my site but I am unclear on where to add it. Would I add the php script to the "admin_mapconfig.php file or where exactly should I put it?

If you are using TNG 10.3.1 you do NOT need the API - see Mervs response abpoive....

Ok, I've done Merv's suggestions and still no luck. I'm totally confused because one person tells me I have to have a Map API and another says not needed. Like I stated in my original post, the map will load for about 1.5 seconds and then turns to the gray screen. I believe something in my windows 10 home addition is blocking the app but I'm clueless as to what. Keep sending in suggestions because I need them.

Thanks to all

Jeff

Well looking at this page

http://leverette-family-history.us/headstones.php?country=USA&state=Missouri&tree=JLHTree

there is no map. The gray screen shows and says to check the JavaScript console, which reveals

Google Maps API error: MissingKeyMapError https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#missing-key-map-error

Clearly you need a Map Key - despite what conventional wisdom/other sites might indicate.

You say you've got one, but it's apparently not entered in the right place since TNG isn't using it as it doesn't show in the Source Code for your page.

I can't look at a TNG 10.1.3 (I have a TNG 10.0 site still available, but not 10.1) but in 10.0 there is no place to store the Map Key.

You might need to upgrade to TNG 11.1 to fix this - it's not necessarily TNG's fault, but Google get to decide how their maps are used, and maybe they've changed their requirements.

Roger

Ok, I've done Merv's suggestions and still no luck. I'm totally confused because one person tells me I have to have a Map API and another says not needed. Like I stated in my original post, the map will load for about 1.5 seconds and then turns to the gray screen.

Yep - this doesn't mean maps are working - as the Error console says the problem is no Map Key.

Therefore it's a good assumption that you have to have a Map Key - Google gets to decide this, not TNG.

I believe something in my windows 10 home addition is blocking the app but I'm clueless as to what. Keep sending in suggestions because I need them.

I don't believe this is the case - you need a Map Key in your TNG settings, and TNG 10.1 doesn't provide a place to do this, so you need TNG 11.1

Roger

Chris Lloyd

there is no place I can find for the API to be entered in 10.3.1.

As stated earlier I have no issues with your site using win 10.

If it asks for an API Key then that is probably what you need to add to your installation. As Roger has suggested, you will need to upgrade to Version 11 to enable this feature.

Why and how Google chooses which of our sites require these keys is a bit of a worry as I prefer TNG 10.

Newfloridian

This whole problem with GHoogle Maps and TNG is quite bizarre and is obviously not as straightforward as might be thought. I updated from TNG8.1.2 to TNG10.1.3 under the threat of the upgrade changes to MySQL. After I had sorted out the not inconsiderable ramifications of that move (and as it happens my ISP not actually carrying out the threatened upgrade), I was immediately faced with the new threat by Google to "name and shame" websites who did not upgrade from http:// to https:// That was something which I did in association with my ISP and a whole new raft of ramifications arose.

There was never any evidence that Google maps had been influenced by the upgrade for 8.1.3 to 10.1.2 but they actually stopped working with my change from http:// to https://. I raised a conversation about this on this forum:

SSL / HTTPS - A UK experience

As it turns out, somewhere down the line, Google maps started working again - and still continue to do so. I haven't upgraded to TNG11 and have no intention of doing so. With the next threat of an upgrade to PHP7,, I have however changed all the remaining lines in my installation of TNG10.1.3 that used the deprecated terms which were threatened with removal. I also upgraded my own PHP use to 5.6 through cPanel. We did recently need to suppress PHP strict error messages - not by doing another TNG upgrade - but by commenting out a line in one file.

One thing I should say is that if you look at Google maps on my site with the Developer's Console switched on, you will still see  two "non-destructive" yellow triangleAPI warning messages. These are:

NoApiKeys: 

The script element that loads the API has no API key. Please make sure you include a valid API key as a key parameter. You can generate a new API key on the Google API Console.

SensorNotRequired

The sensor parameter is no longer required for the Google Maps JavaScript API. It won't prevent the Google Maps JavaScript API from working correctly, but we recommend that you remove the sensor parameter from the script element.

My Google maps still work with the $SiteKey and $Secret variables written into customconfig.php. As was noted in the thread I referred to earlier, the fix now included in TNG 11.1 and introduced as a mod in TNG11.0.? was supposed to offered as a mod for TNG10.1.3. Did this ever happen? Perhaps that one simple little offering would provide significant comfort to Jeff and other users who don't want to go through a full upgrade every time a new threat arises.

Alan 

4 hours ago, Newfloridian said:

My Google maps still work with the $SiteKey and $Secret variables written into customconfig.php.

I suspect this is just a lucky coincidence - looking at the source code of one of your cemetery pages where I DO see the map, compared to the source code of one of Jeff's cemetery pages where I do NOT see the map, there is no apparent difference - the $sitekey variable, whatever it contains, isn't actually being passed to the page it seems.

Both pages show the same errors in the JavaScript console, yet one refuses to show a map, and the other does still show the map.

Roger

Newfloridian

... or again part of Google not fully knowing what the ramifications of its own "upgrades" are.  As an example, when I upgraded from from http:// to https:// I was hosted on a shared server with a shared IP address. After the upgrade, something happened with Google indexing which was said should never happened. Page references of my site were were jumbled up with the site addresses of five other websites with the same shared address. So, for instance, a search for "Craxford Family" led to references such as:

https:/www.signsflagsbanners.com/showmedia.php?mediaID=1442

The showmedia reference is certainly mine but the signsflagsbanners site isn't. If you click on that link you will get a "Your connection is not private" message.  After much machinations I was changed to a new server and was given a dedicated IP address. The powers that be said I should just wait for a couple of months  and Google would automatically recognise the problem and would purge the pages. So far, nearly a year later, they haven't. Running that browser search today returns  four such spurious and entirely wrong references on the first two pages.

Is it any wonder why I always go by the maxim "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"? I have no idea why Google maps shouldn't work in TNG10.1.3 even if you do now have access to the correct API. It should be such an obvious addition to any website that I believe it should even work with legacy versions as far back as TNG8

Alan 

I did acquire a map api key and I added my site, went through the domain verification process and all this was done on the "console.developers.google.com/" site. I got this php code example1.jpg

from the same site listed above and substituted my key in the place of the red text as per-instructed and I placed the code in my customconfig.php file and my site broke, I then removed the code from my customconfig.php file (site worked again) and added it to my public_html folder as a mapapi.php file and still no luck but site didn't break. I found googleearthbylatlong.php,  googlemapdrawthemap.php, google_marker.php, googlemaplib.php, googlemaplib2.php & googlemaplibx.php within my folder structure. Is it possible the above pictured php script would go in one of those afore mentioned php files?

Jeff