TNG Community

Show available mod updates

Bernard

It would be nice to see if there is an update available in the list of installed mods in Mod manager

Bernard

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

It would be nice to see if there is an update available in the list of installed mods in Mod manager

Bernard

That would be extremely useful, to have such a Mod.  Family Historian (FH) has a plugin (~mod) which, when run, checks every plugin installed against a plugin store (~wiki mods available).  Note that the FH plugins differ from mods in that they are not 'installed', but 'run' or executed as needed.  They are add-on's , not installed modifications of code.

Alternatively, you can find out what has been updated by checking the TNG wiki Main Page, 'recent changes', or TNG Mod v.xx listing.   Or, you can put yourself on the watch list for your mods, and you will be informed of any change to them via email. 

Another function I'd like to see in the  TNG wiki, would be to be able to scan and list all Mods to which one has an entry in sites using this mod section, and even better, be able to link and edit an entry from that listing.  I try to update each mod entry with the latest TNG version and it takes a bit of time.

Yes, I agree this would be very useful... I have found on a couple occasions in the past that a newer Mod was actually out but that it did not get added to the recent change list. 

I also think the reason most people don't add themselves to the various Mod users lists is simply because it is a cumbersome process and if you are not carefull, you can mess up another persons entry.

Then when you do update your version of TNG, as many of us just have from v11.1 to v11.1.1, you then have to update each Mod page to stay current. I currently have 56 Mods that I am using and I added myself to 2 thus far and have adding myself to the others on my to do list. 

That said, what would really be nice, since you now have to register on the TNG wiki in order to download any Mod, is if we had our respective list of Mods we use on our user page, then we simply update that list, which would in turn update the Mod user page, making the appropriate changes or additions in a matter of minutes. I don't know if this is possible but it sure would make things easier.

More excellent ideas, Stores.  Today I keep a snapshot of my mods installed on my User Page grabbed from Mod Mgr.  I too have over 50 Mods, so, being on the watch list is good, but I get an email every time someone adds themselves to the mod user list.

Unfortunately, the ideas are the easy part, we just need one of our fine contributors to code such a mod.

While this sounds like a nice idea, it would likely take a lot of processing to check ones mods for updates against the TNG Wiki.  I have over 150 mods on my web site.

It may also put a large added load on the TNG Wiki that Darrin might not appreciate.

OMG, what are you running :-D, I have 11 mods on my live system and only 7 of those installed, I feel like I am living in a cave stuck in 1982 

I adore my 64 :lol:

Bill

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

While this sounds like a nice idea, it would likely take a lot of processing to check ones mods for updates against the TNG Wiki.  I have over 150 mods on my web site.

It may also put a large added load on the TNG Wiki that Darrin might not appreciate.

Yes, have visited your site before Ken, where you even keep track of retired mods. Cool.  I have 53 and thought that was a bit much. Getting off topic here, but to maintain them with the inter-dependencies some mods have  where some have to be installed before others,  I've put a sequence number in front of the mod name in the cfg file, but not the cfg file name itself.  Then, they sort nicely by mod name and quickly uninstall, re-install all mods quickly when new TNG versions come out.   Then can also sort by cfg file name as needed also.  Plus, I been trying out the Robin's Mod Mgr List Location, and Mod Mgr Note Tags as well.