TNG Community
Rolf Barbakken

Norwegian characters suddenly changes to unreadable characters

Rolf Barbakken

I have run my version of TNG for a very long time, and language have been changed only once - when I installed it. The admin menu and the registrations of people contain Norwegian characters and I have never had a problem with it. It have displayed perfectly.

Now it's all changed. See attachment. What happened? What can I do?

tng.png

tngrlkrz

Not a TNG language expert, but looks like some file or a setting  was saved in ISO-8859 instead of UTF8 format.  Either in the Admin:setup:languages area or the Templates/templatex/cust_text.php file or something of that nature.  It would cause UTF8 characters to appear this way.

Ken Roy
5 hours ago, Rolf Barbakken said:

I have run my version of TNG for a very long time, and language have been changed only once - when I installed it. The admin menu and the registrations of people contain Norwegian characters and I have never had a problem with it. It have displayed perfectly.

Now it's all changed. See attachment. What happened? What can I do?

Did you make any updates to the Norwegian-UTF8 (if your site is running as charset UTF-8) admintext.php file or add any overrides to cust_text.php that might have made a change? Did you install any mods that might have changed some of the text variables?

Rolf Barbakken

I had not made any changes that could cause this, but the server host had changed the php version which messed with the default charset setting. With a tip from one of the board members here I added the following to begin.php and admin_setup.php:

ini_set("default_charset", "");

It all looks fine now.

Thank you.