TNG Community
Mike Harvey

Adding Gedcom to Tree

Question

Mike Harvey

I have my family tree and all is working, Now I have a new Gedcom file that is for my Grandmothers,  Fathers family tree. I have both as separate trees in my install. I'd like to make the link so that when I search my Family Tree (Harvey's) and I get to my Grandmother, I can also have her fathers family show up in the Harvey Family Tree. How would I go about this. I tried adding the Densmore Gedcom file to the Harvey Tree, and I've made Great Grand father Densmore my grandmothers father, but none of the rest of the densmore family was added in, just the great grand father?

I'm fairly new to TNG, but not the web or databases.

Cheers Mike

4 answers to this question

mk0111

I have the same issue... I hope somebody can help us with this.

Merv

The people in the new gedcom need to be added to the same tree for them to appear with people already in that tree. Having them in separate trees is like having them in separate databases.

Newark
On 29/04/2017 at 6:59 PM, Mike Harvey said:

I have my family tree and all is working, Now I have a new Gedcom file that is for my Grandmothers,  Fathers family tree. I have both as separate trees in my install. I'd like to make the link so that when I search my Family Tree (Harvey's) and I get to my Grandmother, I can also have her fathers family show up in the Harvey Family Tree. How would I go about this. I tried adding the Densmore Gedcom file to the Harvey Tree, and I've made Great Grand father Densmore my grandmothers father, but none of the rest of the densmore family was added in, just the great grand father?

I'm fairly new to TNG, but not the web or databases.

Cheers Mike

What I did was import the Gedcom for my tree and that for my wife's tree into Family Tree Maker, where you can combine trees and then make a new Gedcom of that combined tree and imported that into TNG having deleted everything that I had originally loaded into TNG first. But I did that at the very beginning of using TNG when I was still experimenting and getting to know the package and before I had any media uploaded on TNG. I'm not sure what the effect would be if I did it now.