TNG Community
Anke

Multi language pages

Anke

Hello,

I'm not really that experienced with TNG and its addons yet. Since my folks is spread all over the world, I'd like to provide English information besides my mother tongue, e.g. in fields like captions, notes etc., i.e. it would be nice to have one field per language.  Is there a way to accomplish this within the TNG core (by a setting I didn't discover yet) or is there a mod or addon providing multi language fields?

Regards

Anke

Anke

Hi,

if I understand this correctly, TNG has built-in multilanguage support since version 10. With that I'm pretty satisfied, except I can't find fields to create a second language field on some pages like e.g. media, which means I cannot create photo titles and descriptions for other than my default language.

Is that so or am I "blind"? Can multilanguage support be expected on all pages with one of the next updates?

Anke

Chris Lloyd

Have you considered using Google Translate to allow a choice of languages?

Anke

Thank you for your reply, Chris, but poorly translating Google Translator is not an option for me. TNG has built-in translation fields now and that's wonderful, only these fields can't be found on all relevant pages yet.

Ken Roy
23 hours ago, Anke said:

Hi,

if I understand this correctly, TNG has built-in multilanguage support since version 10. With that I'm pretty satisfied, except I can't find fields to create a second language field on some pages like e.g. media, which means I cannot create photo titles and descriptions for other than my default language.

Is that so or am I "blind"? Can multilanguage support be expected on all pages with one of the next updates?

Anke

Anke,

You could enter descriptions in your native language and English.  I have done that in some descriptions and body text attached to an image where I provided translations

Anke

I've done just that so far and had to redo those pages the other day after upgrading TNG when I was happy to finally find fields for additional languages. i prefer one language at a time on the display (with a language switcher), because we are adding a lot of stories the older ones tell us about their lives. Often they are long stories, and that's just too much having translation(s) on the same page. That's the reason why Google Translator is no alternative either, because I know how poor German translations from English originals look - most of the time I have to guess what the heck they are trying to say.

Another reason why language fields are very handy is because this way family members can cooperate. I enter German text and my Brit cousin tells the story in English, maybe adding his own memories or comments. Thus the translations aren't necessarily identical and it is fun reading both versions (as most of us are bi- or multilingual.

So, what I mean is, while TNG is offering language support on some pages it would be nice - for consistency - to have it on all relevant pages.