TNG Community

Birth Relationship or Branch and GEDCOM file

crhoman

I created a GEDCOM file for one of the branches in my tree. When I uploaded it to Ancestry.com and into Family Tree Maker I noticed several individuals missing. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is because some of the Birth Relationships were missing and or the Branch was not selected when the individual was created or edited?  I have a suspicion that without the Birth Relationship and/or the Branch indicated the relationship chain is broken and therefore it just leaves people out.  Am I correct on that assumption?  Also, is there a quick way to fix this like getting a list of individuals that show relationship and branch and just go through the list and fix them.  Checking each individual through the edit individual option would be very time consuming with hundreds to check.  Shouldn't TNG make some connection to all individuals in a tree/branch if these fields are not marked so the GEDCOM file gets everyone? Maybe it does and I'm missing something. Thank you for your help with this.

Hi,

• What is the URL to your site?
  • Have you any privacy settings?
  • Are you using branch restrictions?
  • How are you downloading the gedcom (process)?
  • What user privileges are you downloading the gedcom with?

Hi Merv, I am the administrator and signed in as administrator. I'm going to the individual (the home person I started with P1) selecting GEDCOM and creating the file from there. I ran the GEDCOM file a couple of times after fixing a few of the Birth Relationships that I had not selected when I added an individual.  I have 361 individuals, the GEDCOM file that I imported into FTM indicated only 299 individuals. I then edited at least 20 in TNG and fixed the Birth Relationship and ran the GEDCOM file again. Imported into FTM and now shows 309 individuals/110 Families. Rinse and repeat and still FTM shows only 309/110. I opened the log file that FTM creates after the import and attaching here, its a text file.  Looks like there is no one to one correlation with fixing the Birth Relationship field in TNG, though the number of individuals did go up by 10 even though I fixed well over 20. All these individuals are in 1 tree. There are no restrictions set, I rechecked them, and I am signed in as the administrator.  Thank you for your help.

gedcom to ftm error log.txt

Hi,

A couple of things that may not mean anything

1. Do all the people on your site have P prefix ID's?
  2. I wonder if you ran the Track Lines procedure, whether that would connect all the people that are missing on your gedcom exports?

Hello again,

1. Yes, when I started with TNG they had "P" as the prefix. I think because I had imported a GEDCOM file where they were P and it stuck. Sometime later when I was having trouble of a different nature, I learned that TNG used an "I"  My prefix for individuals is set to "P" for all people.

2. Track Lines? I have no idea what that is.

Thank you for your assistance

Hi,

• Is there a pattern with the people with I or P ID numbers not being imported? If so, then that could be the problem.
  • Track Lines - Do a backup prior to doing this just in case something goes amiss... and don't be tempted to use any of the other facilities on that page.

If neither of those fix the problem. then at least we can eliminate them as the cause :)

6 hours ago, crhoman said:

2. Track Lines? I have no idea what that is

Since you have no clue what Track Lines is, I suspect that you did not run it on the Secondary Process tab after you did your import.

See the Track lines article on the TNG Wiki.  Basically, the track lines sets the flag that a person has children.  The > sign has been replaced by the + sign.  I am quite sure this process applies even though you do not import your data.

I ran the track lines and no change. This was a recent tree I created and all individuals have the "P" prefix for individuals, it is set that way in my setup.

On 29/03/2017 at 2:30 PM, crhoman said:

I created a GEDCOM file for one of the branches in my tree. When I uploaded it to Ancestry.com and into Family Tree Maker I noticed several individuals missing.

If you import that same gedcom into a new tree in TNG are those same people missing?

Merv and Ken, thank you for your help.  I was creating the gedcom from the tab on the individual person's page. I selected the home person I started the tree with and 20 generations to make sure I would get everyone. Seems this gedcom file and the gedcom you can create via the admin Import/Export section is a bit different.  I emailed Darrin for some answers and this was his reply as to why the number of people and families are different.

When you run it from the individual page, TNG traces back or forward the number of generations you indicate, whereas when you do it from the admin area, it just grabs everyone. If you trace back X generations, you miss people who aren't direct descendants or ancestors (or siblings of those people), so that's why the numbers are slightly different.

I'll make sure I always create the gedcom file from the admin area in the future to capture everyone.  Thanks again.

A GEDCOM export is not a good way to backup or recreate a TNG site.  Not every TNG capability and data is exported.  For examples, cemeteries and branch labels are not exported..

Seems a bit strange. If you used the base person of your branch as the base person for your gedcom, then everyone should have been included.

Unless maybe...

• you have more than 1 base person for your branch
  • the branch wasn't updated (labels added) before the gedcom export

Something to keep in mind if someone else finds themselves in a similar situation :)

That may depend on how you label branches.  I only label mine down from an ancestor.  Others label going in both directions.  It also depends on whether you also include Spouses as part of the branch. 

Note that I have haven't attempted to extract a branch using a GEDCOM.  I would think it should follow the branch labeling rules for that branch assignment.

I agree Merv. I did use the base person and would have thought it would capture everyone. This was a recently created tree, everyone in the same tree and no settings changed during adding individuals. I think what Darrin is saying is, from the individual page it only picks up direct ancestors and would not pick up others like children of siblings or additional spouses of siblings? A bit confusing and odd that a gedcom is not a gedcom in TNG unless you create it from a specific location.  

I started with TNG a about 10 years ago and lately finding it less intuitive on some issues like this. Difficult to find answers as well. If you search the forun and/or google for TNG and topic, you still get responses from 2008. That stuff should be cleaned out.  I've been directed to tutorials and help areas that refer to versions 4 versions ago that just aren't relavant.  Some house cleaning needs to happen.  I'm also getting to a point and age, where I just don't want to spend my time figuring out the technical issues. Years ago Apple took the responsibility for many of the technical issues where Microsoft left you to the varying technical skills of the user to fix constant issues.  Microsoft has gotten much better in recent years.  I want to be able to spend my time using TNG to get my records online and less time with technical issues. I think if TNG moves into that kind of interface they would expand and be able to compete with other players in this arena.  

I have been an on and off member of Ancestry.com mostly because I wasn't doing a lot of research. I'm back with them and like some of their improvements.  I find myself sharing more of what I have there then at my own TNG site.  My feeling is that in a few years I will give up TNG.  I definitely like the full control that TNG gives to me, but it is just not a user friendly and intuitive as it could be. My thoughts for what they are worth.

Thanks guys for your help.