TNG Community

I have a Mod installed that only works whenever he feels like it. Or so it seems.

beun.net

I have four mods installed in my TNG v11. The fourth one, the 'Relationship to Site Owner Mod', doesn't always work, and I don't understand why. Sometimes it does work, and most of the time it doesn't. And what's more, the line that shows this particular Mod in the admin section of TNG, has a different color than the other lines. (please see attachment) Is that supposed to mean something?

Then I thought, maybe I set the 'Maximum number of relationships to show.' to a too high number. So I set it to 5, and then opened the page of my grandfather... But this Mod didn't show anything.

Tips/tricks/suggestions anyone? :)

//edit: second question... How easy would it be to make this specific feature available only to logged in users, and not to the general public?

tng-mods.png

When I look at your site it seems to be working very quickly on all relationships I tried - including your grandfather

https://genealogie.beun.net/getperson.php?personID=I7&tree=Beun

The colour comes about because it is the 4th Mod and the option is set to Stripe after 3 Mods (see the Option tab in Mod Manager)

Roger

That's odd. When I click the link to my site you posted, it immediately shows the relationship.

But when I click on (for instance) 'Beun' in my blue top menu, Beun ancestors are displayed. And then, when I click on the tab 'Individual' on this very page, the relationship is not displayed. The same goes for other people whose links I click on from this page on.

Do you have any idea on what that might be?

In the link I posted, you have tree=Buen

In what doesn't work you have tree=buen

You'll need to edit the links that are in the top menu to have Buen and then it should work.

Roger

For a moment there I thought I had actually missspelled my own name, because of what you said (Buen instead of Beun) :P
But I see what you mean... It would appear that the tree name is case sensitive, since while using 'beun', it doesn't work, but when using 'Beun', it does.
Problem solved. Thanks!!

Related question.... Would it be possible to make this specific feature (Relationship to Site Owner Mod) available only to logged in users, and not to the general public?
At first I thought of doing something to this Mod like what is explained over here under 'Check Login': http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Protecting_access_log, but that wouldn't work since it's a mod, and not a regular PHP file. (Assuming here it would have worked if it was.)

6 hours ago, beun.net said:

Related question.... Would it be possible to make this specific feature (Relationship to Site Owner Mod) available only to logged in users, and not to the general public?
At first I thought of doing something to this Mod like what is explained over here under 'Check Login': http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Protecting_access_log, but that wouldn't work since it's a mod, and not a regular PHP file. (Assuming here it would have worked if it was.)

Anything is possible I guess, but to my mind the idea of it is that someone comes to the site because they've found someone/something in Google, and to tell them right away that the person they're viewing has a connection to the site owner is surely helpful - e.g. a 4th cousin that you don't even know exists visits the page of their 3rd great grandfather and gets told that person is your 3rd great grandfather - they right away they know they're related to you too.

Roger

What I am worried about, I guess, is that soon enough there'll be 3.000 Google search entries stating: 'so and so' is the 'so and so' of 'my name', when one Googles my name.
That's something I wouldn't want to happen.
What is your experience regarding this?

Unless you have altered the default settings of the Mod, then this line is not shown to Google or several other search engines.

Roger

On 3/23/2017 at 3:13 PM, beun.net said:

I have four mods installed in my TNG v11. The fourth one, the 'Relationship to Site Owner Mod', doesn't always work, and I don't understand why. Sometimes it does work, and most of the time it doesn't. And what's more, the line that shows this particular Mod in the admin section of TNG, has a different color than the other lines. (please see attachment) Is that supposed to mean something?

There are a couple other similar Mods you could try that are tested on tng 11.1; I use both the  Relate Mod   as well as the Relationship Display Mod w/o any issues.