TNG Community

Importing GEDCOM from Reunion 11

paul54729

I recently updated to Reunion 11 and have been unable to import GEDCOMs into TNG. The problem I'm having is with Multimedia files.

In Reunion I added a Source of type "Web Site" and in the Multimedia tab I added a link to a png file (a screen snap of a webpage).

The png file is in ~/Documents/Reunion/documents/Obituaries/ on my Mac and I uploaded it to /public_html/genealogy/documents/Obituaries/ on my website, just as I've done for years.

In TNG the file is recognized as a Photo and not as a Document.

In Reunion, when I add the file as a Multimedia file for a person and select the checkbox to identify the file as a Document, and then generate a GEDCOM and import into TNG, I see two files (one marked Photo and the other marked Document).

I have noted that the GEDCOM generated by an older version of Reunion has Source records contain the line

_TYPE PHOTO DOCUMENT

but Reunion 11 uses

_TYPE PHOTO

I edited the Reunion 11 GEDCOM file by adding "DOCUMENT" to the _TYPE line and was then able to created a thumbnail for the png file. I hope there is another way to remove the GEDCOM import problem without having to hand-edit the GEDCOM, as that is not a practical solution for the long term.

Any help on this problem would be appreciated. I hope I have provide enough information in an understandable form.

Chris Lloyd

Sounds to me like the issue is actually with the way that Reunion creates the Gedcom. Is there any way of editing the gedcom production in the reunion settings?

I used to use The Master Genealogist and since creating a website and using TNG I have stopped. I found trying to keep both up to date with changes was too much trouble!

Yes, it does seem that the code to create a GEDCOM was changed, and it's very difficult to pursue that with the Reunion people.No, there are no settings controlling GEDCOM generation. I already run my home-brew post-processing program to put the characters in a consistent canonical form when I determined that characters like ä and å had 3 different encodings depending on how they were typed in. I suspect I'll need to post-process the Reunion GEDCOM to create what TNG expects in this latest discovery too.

I'm not so sure I would use TNG as my sole genealogy software, but I'm glad you think that's a good way to go. I would consider that if the "workarounds" accumulate.

I've just generated a GEDCOM file from Reunion 11 and looked through it - I find this

1 OBJE
2 FORM gif
2 FILE ~/Documents/Documents/Genealogy/Roger/ReunionPictures/documents/marriages/WilliamMoffatJanetDewarMar.gif
2 TITL Marriage Certificate for William Ernest Moffat and Janet Bethia Dewar
2 NOTE Copy of Register of Marriage by Officiating Minister. Marriage in the District of Manuherikai. Signed by William Ernest Moffat and Janet Bethia Dewar. Witnessed by John Robert Moffat (Willam's brother), Farm Labourer, Waiwera South and Mary Etta E
3 CONC dgar, School Teacher, Palmerston.
2 _TYPE PHOTO DOCUMENT
2 _PRIM N

as expected identifying that the image of a marriage certificate is a "PHOTO DOCUMENT". This is in a person's record. Here is one from a source record

1 OBJE
2 FORM png
2 FILE ~/Documents/Documents/Genealogy/Roger/ReunionPictures/documents/newspapers/Dewar-Plunkett_Marriage_Tasmania_1911.png
2 TITL Dewar-Plunkett_Marriage_Tasmania_1911
2 _TYPE PHOTO DOCUMENT
2 _PRIM N

Here's a PNG in a person record

1 OBJE
2 FORM png
2 FILE ~/Documents/Documents/Genealogy/Roger/ReunionPictures/documents/deaths/AlexanderMitchellDeath-MiningHistoryResourceCentre.png
2 TITL Alexander Mitchell’s Entry on the website of “The Coalmining History Resource Centre”
2 NOTE Entry from “The Coalmininig History Resource Centre” website showing the death of Alexander Mitchell in a Mining Accident.
3 CONT
3 CONT <a href="http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/database/result/19610.html" target="_blank">www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/database/result/19610.html</a>
2 _TYPE PHOTO DOCUMENT
2 _PRIM N

All cases show "PHOTO DOCUMENT" (which TNG has been programmed to accept as a DOCUMENT

Roger

Roger, thanks for the time you spent on this, but I think if you were to add a source with a png file added in the Multimedia tab, you would be able to duplicate my problem.

In the example below, Source S1893, which was added on 9 Jun 2013, is the GEDCOM my older version of Reunion generates. Source S2261 is the new one that was created by Reunion 11.

Short of hand-editing the GEDCOM I haven't found a way to get "_TYPE PHOTO DOCUMENT" instead of "_TYPE PHOTO".

Good Source:

0 @S1893@ SOUR
1 TYPE Web Site
1 URL http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Graunke&GSiman=1&GSst=25&GRid=97210371&
1 DATE 9 Jun 2013
1 OBJE
2 FORM png
2 FILE ~/Documents/Reunion/documents/Obituaries/Eugene A. Graunke (1946-1989).png
2 TITL Eugene A. Graunke (1946-1989)
2 _TYPE PHOTO DOCUMENT
2 _PRIM N
1 CHAN
2 DATE 20 JAN 2016

Bad Source:

0 @S2261@ SOUR
1 TYPE Web Site
1 URL https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=144135737
1 DATE 6 Mar 2017
1 OBJE
2 FORM png
2 FILE ~/Documents/Reunion/documents/Obituaries/Mildred Eva Anderson Borman (1920-2009).png
2 TITL Mildred Eva Anderson Borman (1920-2009)
2 _TYPE PHOTO
2 _PRIM N
2 _SIZE 651.000000 935.000000
1 CHAN
2 DATE 6 MAR 2017

Hmmmm

So I've posted two examples there on their forum and asked them to change it back - or at least offer the choice to mark an item as a document to force generation of the

2 _TYPE PHOTO document

line

Roger

Thanks, Roger. I hope you have the influence to effect the change.

So, for now it appears I either need to remove the failing multimedia file link from the Source record, or I need to manually edit or programmatically post-process the GEDCOM so the _TYPE line reads

2 _TYPE PHOTO DOCUMENT

(I already have a little program that post-processes the Reunion-generated GEDCOM so that the UTF-8 encodings for the characters å, ä, and ö (which can have multiple valid encodings) each have one "canonical" form) so that searches in TNG work as expected, so I would add code to modify the failing _TYPE lines.)

Before I proceed, can you confirm I'm proceeding correctly?

Also, what do you think of dumping Reunion altogether and switch to TNG exclusively?

59 minutes ago, paul54729 said:

Also, what do you think of dumping Reunion altogether and switch to TNG exclusively?

I'm nowhere near that yet - Reunion is simply too slick and streamlined for desktop use, plus its interaction with the Reunion Touch iPhone app, to consider replacing it with TNG alone which requires way too many mouse clicks and screen changes and server interactions to get done serious data entry in the TNG interface.

And unless you're adding hundreds of media items to sources regularly, you probably don't need to alter the script - just manually edit the GEDCOM file to alter the sources that are above whatever source number the problem arises.

Roger