Jump to content
TNG Community
Gustave

Why Wordpress?

Recommended Posts

klooster

Hi Phil,

Choosing a platform is one of the first and most crucial decisions you’ll make for your new website. Your Content Management System (CMS) will help determine how well your site runs, along with the number of tools and customization options available to you. With all the potential choices out there, however, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed.

Fortunately, there’s one option that’s a safe bet in almost any circumstance: WordPress. This free, open-source CMS is the perfect framework for building anything from a simple blog to a thriving e-commerce site. It’s easy to use, yet powerful and flexible enough to accommodate your unique requirements.

Using new software of any type can be intimidating, and if you’re creating your first website, you probably won’t have experience with content management systems. Fortunately, it’s easy to get started with WordPress, even if you’re a complete beginner; you won’t need any coding knowledge to create a perfectly functional site. Furthermore, the admin dashboard is simple to understand and navigate, whether you’re writing content, customizing settings, or installing themes and plugins.

However, if you’re not a beginner, don’t let WordPress’ ostensible simplicity turn you away. It is hugely powerful ‘under the hood’, and enables you to customize every aspect of your site as you see fit, should you have the technical chops.

You can integrate TNG in a easy and beautiful way in Wordpress with my method and expand the possibilities of creating your own personal website way beyond what the TNG templates have to offer.

Read:How and why I made my WP-TNG website

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil Merkel

Thanks Heather. But I am still not clear on what I get when the two are integrated. I've seen many of the integrated sites, I've walked through Dr. Kloosterman's approach, but I can't tell what is WordPress and what is TNG after all is said and done. That's my problem. I'd love to integrate the two, and I will once I understand how they fit together. I can easily go through the steps to do the integration (whatever method I choose), but what do I have when it's done???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil Merkel
On 8/23/2020 at 7:00 AM, klooster said:

Hi Phil,

Choosing a platform is one of the first and most crucial decisions you’ll make for your new website. Your Content Management System (CMS) will help determine how well your site runs, along with the number of tools and customization options available to you. With all the potential choices out there, however, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed.

Fortunately, there’s one option that’s a safe bet in almost any circumstance: WordPress. This free, open-source CMS is the perfect framework for building anything from a simple blog to a thriving e-commerce site. It’s easy to use, yet powerful and flexible enough to accommodate your unique requirements.

Using new software of any type can be intimidating, and if you’re creating your first website, you probably won’t have experience with content management systems. Fortunately, it’s easy to get started with WordPress, even if you’re a complete beginner; you won’t need any coding knowledge to create a perfectly functional site. Furthermore, the admin dashboard is simple to understand and navigate, whether you’re writing content, customizing settings, or installing themes and plugins.

However, if you’re not a beginner, don’t let WordPress’ ostensible simplicity turn you away. It is hugely powerful ‘under the hood’, and enables you to customize every aspect of your site as you see fit, should you have the technical chops.

You can integrate TNG in a easy and beautiful way in Wordpress with my method and expand the possibilities of creating your own personal website way beyond what the TNG templates have to offer.

Read:How and why I made my WP-TNG website

 

Thanks, Dr. Kloosterman. I have been reviewing your method for integrating WordPress and TNG. I understand everything you have proposed, but my problem is that I don't know what I have when I'm done. What part does WordPress in the functioning of the overall site? If someone could please explain how the two work together, I would be beyond happy. Thanks again for your answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil Merkel
On 8/21/2020 at 3:41 PM, HeatherFeuer said:

Hi Phil,

For those of us who use WordPress and TNG together, there are many reasons for doing so. One of the sites I point out to anyone is Martin Mosley's https://mosleyfamilies.net. He has done a fantastic job of telling his family's story using the integration. At one time, I created a special script that creates a custom WordPress menu that includes the three major TNG menus of Find, Media, and Info. Using the Kloosterman method to wrap the WordPress header and footer around the TNG pages creates a seamless look. You can also see how I use it on my personal website at https://cathyheather.net. In both cases, TNG is used to create and display the family genealogy and WordPress is used to expand on the family story. There are a few WordPress plugins that display family trees, but IMHO, TNG is still by far the best genealogy software available.

I don't think of WordPress as a "front end" only. For me, integration means that the two programs work together seamlessly to tell a story about my family.

Thanks Heather. But I am still not clear on what I get when the two are integrated. I've seen many of the integrated sites, I've walked through Dr. Kloosterman's approach, but I can't tell what is WordPress and what is TNG after all is said and done. That's my problem. I'd love to integrate the two, and I will once I understand how they fit together. I can easily go through the steps to do the integration (whatever method I choose), but what do I have when it's done???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
8 hours ago, Phil Merkel said:

I've walked through Dr. Kloosterman's approach, but I can't tell what is WordPress and what is TNG after all is said and done.

Go to any WordPress/TNG site. The parts that are the same on all them, like the places search page or the person profile, are TNG. All the rest is WordPress.

What you get is:

  • the possibility to write stories, articles,... including all features WP offers, without much of a hassle
  • hence you are not limited to the standard pages in TNG, you can create whatever content you want
  • you can even create new pages containing data from your family tree
  • you can make TNG look like the rest of your website, how you like it, not like one of the templates everybody uses (and which are, worry to say, rather old fashioned)

I am even attempting to make my TNG pages to not look like standard TNG pages. I gave the person profile a vertical menu, for example, and I'm currently creating a totally new page with statistics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newfloridian

For balance I guess I should put the view for the opposition. I don't use WordPress or any other adjunct. I rarely use the Mod Manager either. I have over 500 family history articles in a TNG magazine which is written wholly using historytemplate.php. Each section of the magazine is dedicated to stories of one branch of the family. This is one such example recently completed. The landing page through this link might look as if it is the index page of template 4 (on which my whole site is based) but it isn't. It and everything else is written using historytemplate.php and a library of perhaps 25 css definitions in mytngstyle.css The articles at positions 5, 6 and 7 are a three part saga of my maternal grandparent's  family

I have been using this method for over 15 years. I feel there is no need to investigate anything else. Once you know how historytemplate.php works it is a very simple matter to write fully  illustrated articles which conform to the standard and style of your TNG website

Cheers Alan

 

The Teal Pages. Page 1: Cook

 

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob Severijns

Hello all,

 

I'm thinking of using Wordpress too but have a question.

While using TNG, changes made in the Admin section or templates are executed directly after reloading the website or saving the changes.

When using Wordpress, is it possible to create an offline website that can be published once I am satisfied with the results of the changes made before I publish it?

Don't wanna "mess up" my page while I'm still working on the layout or do I (in TNG) have to set the site in Maintenance Mode.

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klooster

I have been re-reading all the post about "why Wordpress" and I feel the need, to comment (a bit late) on a part of the post by Katryne, (posted 2019) where she states and I quote; 

"I will not use Wordpress, because I do not like the principle of a blog. Which is for me, just an antichronological sequence of notes.  The visitor can just reach the 5 or so last articles and the previous ones are deep hidden under earth level." end quote.

This is one of the big misconceptions still around in this world about Wordpress. 

One of the things that excites me about WordPress is its awesome potential. WordPress in its purest form, in the hands of a professional, can be a thing of pure beauty.

It’s deep and complex, and has many hidden facets. But — and this is what I love about it — it’s still relatively easy to use if you’re just a basic user. It’s like being given a race car as a personal vehicle. In the hands of a professional, you can drive it around a race track at 200-plus mph. But in the hands of an enthusiastic amateur, you can still drive it to work. It’ll just get you there a little faster than the other cars on the road.

Whilst is occasionally still derided amongst certain circles as being “just” a blogging platform, the fact is that WordPress is an enormously versatile tool, capable of achieving some pretty astonishing things.You see, WordPress has changed. What started out as a humble blogging platform targeted at enabling digital publishing for the masses, has evolved into a fully-fledged website CMS. WordPress is free, easy to use, Open Source, extensible, themable, self hosted and open to everybody. This is where it currently wins, and will always win compared to platforms.

So WordPress is NOT "just a blog", Wordpress no longer has a purpose. It's no longer for anything specific, it's for everything you can imagine doing with it. How it's developed internally, too, has changed drastically from creating and evolving features for a publishing platform - to creating and evolving features for people to build their own platforms.

Or, as professional web designer Stephani Worts once wrote: “Put simply, WordPress is a tool that takes care of the nuts and bolts of publishing content so you can focus on what you want to convey on your website without having to worry about how to display your material.”

 Why WordPress? Now you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeatherFeuer

In answer to @Phil Merkel and as an adjunct to what @kloostersaid above (and what I was trying to explain with my original response), what you end up with by using WordPress and TNG together is a platform for telling your family's story/history in a far more rich format than with TNG alone. WordPress has evolved over the years into an impressive but still easy to use Content Management System -- something far more than just a blog. Yes, you can still create blog posts, BUT you can also create pages that don't get "hidden under earth level" as Katryn put it. 

Do you have ancestors who lived a unique or remarkable life? You can use WordPress to tell their story, fleshing out that person in a way you can't with just TNG. Again using Martin Mosley's site, look at what he did to showcase his ancestor Albert Ibberson: https://mosleyfamilies.net/histories/alfred-ibberson/.  You can then create a link to that person's Individual page in TNG for their genealogy. That's just one example of what you can do with WordPress.

You can create photo galleries that help to tell your family's stories. Does your family have favorite meals or foods that you'd like to preserve? There are plugins for WordPress that let you create a cookbook with favorite family recipes. 

Those are just a few ideas of what is possible with WordPress. As Cees explains above, the possibilities are endless! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil Merkel
1 hour ago, HeatherFeuer said:

In answer to @Phil Merkel and as an adjunct to what @kloostersaid above (and what I was trying to explain with my original response), what you end up with by using WordPress and TNG together is a platform for telling your family's story/history in a far more rich format than with TNG alone. WordPress has evolved over the years into an impressive but still easy to use Content Management System -- something far more than just a blog. Yes, you can still create blog posts, BUT you can also create pages that don't get "hidden under earth level" as Katryn put it. 

Do you have ancestors who lived a unique or remarkable life? You can use WordPress to tell their story, fleshing out that person in a way you can't with just TNG. Again using Martin Mosley's site, look at what he did to showcase his ancestor Albert Ibberson: https://mosleyfamilies.net/histories/alfred-ibberson/.  You can then create a link to that person's Individual page in TNG for their genealogy. That's just one example of what you can do with WordPress.

You can create photo galleries that help to tell your family's stories. Does your family have favorite meals or foods that you'd like to preserve? There are plugins for WordPress that let you create a cookbook with favorite family recipes. 

Those are just a few ideas of what is possible with WordPress. As Cees explains above, the possibilities are endless! 

Sorry, but I guess I am just dense. I am assuming that all the websites start with a WordPress home page, which acts like the front-end to TNG pages, meaning that there are links in the WordPress menu to the TNG pages (excluding the TNG home page, perhaps). Now, is that a correct assumption or not? I know that if I have a WordPress home page that I can add all the WordPress pages I want. I just want to understand HOW do I get to the TNG pages from WordPress home page AND do the TNG pages then format according to the WordPress theme chosen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeatherFeuer
49 minutes ago, Phil Merkel said:

Sorry, but I guess I am just dense. I am assuming that all the websites start with a WordPress home page, which acts like the front-end to TNG pages, meaning that there are links in the WordPress menu to the TNG pages (excluding the TNG home page, perhaps). Now, is that a correct assumption or not? I know that if I have a WordPress home page that I can add all the WordPress pages I want. I just want to understand HOW do I get to the TNG pages from WordPress home page AND do the TNG pages then format according to the WordPress theme chosen?

@Phil Merkel, see Cees' message above with the link. I have a tiny file that I use to create a custom menu with all the TNG links as you saw on Martin's and my websites. If you like, I can send you that file when you are ready. Once you run the script, you can then add your WordPress pages to the menu. Then you will have all the TNG information available from the WordPress menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin J Mosley

I don't often get involved in these discussions, but I want to support Heather and Klooster. WordPress is a tool. Nothing more. It is software which gives you endless scope to create your own design. And to include almost any type of content.

You can do some of that with TNG, but doing so requires a lot of technical understanding which I, at least, don't have.

As for how you access the TNG content. That too is flexible to some extent. You can build your own site menus and links just as you wish, so that TNG is more or less visible, depending on your needs.

For me, the objective is to create an impression that all the content, TNG and WordPress, is accessible without my visitors feelinng they have moved from one site to another.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merv

A different perspective...

When I looked into this a few years ago it was difficult to get the 2 platforms to integrate seamlessly... there was always some sort of compromise that had to be made like some of the charts didn't always display correctly. They sometimes appeared jumbled.

For me, the charts are the point of difference between TNG and other genealogy programs so I wasn't willing to compromise.

I have gone with separate websites that link together via menu links which works better in my situation because I am researching more than just one branch name and therefore my audience isn't necessarily interested in each others branch information, Each branch has their own dedicated website that links to the TNG site via their main menu.

This approach has allowed me to make the history websites public, and the family tree password protected.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PapaTango

Dr. K makes an eloquent argument for "what you can do" by bundling a CMS like WordPress with TNG.  But that is not really the question...

The most important thing here is answering why you want a family genealogy website?

For many, TNG as a standalone meets all of their needs.  With a wide selection of landing page themes, a bit of customization and text changes allow the site to perform a distinct function--displaying the contents of a genealogical database collection.  Back in March of last year, I posted a comment about the purpose of using WordPress.  In it, was an oft-repeated phrase, "WordPress is a factory for creating webpages."  And that is the point of 'bundling' the two platforms together--not where one begins or another ends.

I came to the circus of building my site with WP as the first component--prior to any knowledge of TNG.  I wanted to write articles and short 'blog' stuff.  Have multiple photo galleries.  Include a forum.  Display family trees.  Create reciprocal engagement with social media.  Sadly, the WP plugins to accomplish the 'data' side which was available at the time were pretty awful, and that is being charitable.  TNG bundled with WP solved that--and ever so much more. 

A bundled site can be a work of art--witness what Martin and Dr. K have created.  To be fair, I have seen standalone TNG sites that bear little resemblance to any of the native TNG templates.  Either presentation involves a lot of customization and a learning curve.  This brings us back to the seminal question, what do you want from a site?  

Quote

I just want to understand HOW do I get to the TNG pages from WordPress home page AND do the TNG pages then format according to the WordPress theme chosen?

Here you go!  The thing to remember is that under WP, the pages displayed from TNG such as charts, individual sheets, and a host of other things ARE STILL native TNG--merely sandwiched between a WP header and footer.  A bit of clever CSS style sheet formatting in the file mytngstyle.css makes TNG stuff resemble the WP theme.  Then you add links to TNG stuff in any number of WP menu displays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klooster

Hi Papa Tango,

I agree with you that the most important question is : "Why do you want a genealogy website"

On my website I gave my opinion on that question, read: Why I made my website

Among other things I wrote there and I quote; " But down the line I realized that I was missing something essential. I wanted to make a real personal Web site, so it had to contain personal content. Some of you may be thinking “Well, that’s obvious?” but others of you are wondering “What is personal content, what does that mean?” By personal content I mean that the page must exhibit content that tells your readers about your thoughts, ideas, interests, hobbies, family, friends, feelings, or something you feel strongly about. I think that just about covers it.” end quote.

I could not accomplish that with TNG alone, Wordpress gives me the possibility to go beyond just the TNG genealogical data.

Thats why I use Wordpress.

PS: I am not trying to convince people that they must use Wordpress. I assume everybody is a smart person with some logic behind their viewpoint. I happen to disagree with some of that and I think and there’s some logic behind my disagreement. I am just trying to set the record straight about some misconceptions about Wordpress and the things you can accomplish with Wordpress. 

“The source of all the conflicts in the world is in trying
to convince everyone that you’re always correct.”

- Mwanandeke Kindembo -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merv
17 hours ago, PapaTango said:

Here you go!  The thing to remember is that under WP, the pages displayed from TNG such as charts, individual sheets, and a host of other things ARE STILL native TNG--merely sandwiched between a WP header and footer.  A bit of clever CSS style sheet formatting in the file mytngstyle.css makes TNG stuff resemble the WP theme.  Then you add links to TNG stuff in any number of WP menu displays.

Hi Papa Tango,

Here is an example of what i meant by some of the charts not displaying properly when WP and TNG are integrated....

https://journeysingenealogy.com/genealogy/desctracker.php?trail=I315,F114,I203,F70,I417,F153,I451&tree=Thrush1

Here's another one...

https://www.kloosterman.be/genealogy/desctracker.php?trail=I325,F80,I107,F31,I2162,F743,I1913,F388,I2173&tree=001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
3 minutes ago, Merv said:

Here is an example of what i meant by some of the charts not displaying properly when WP and TNG are integrated....

That's just a question of tweaking the css a bit (or a lot, depending on your theme).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PapaTango

Thanks for the heads-up on this @Merv.  I have sent you a PM, as I am unable to generate the same URL for this individual through search or clicking on the descendent tab.  See the attached image.

In any event, this brings up an important consideration for bundlers--and for that matter standalone TNG users.  Things change...

Many of us have experienced issues with the TNG package when our webhosts change the PHP version.  Older (v11 and prior) versions and mods can stumble or fail running under some flavor of PHP 7.x, and all MySQL to MariaDB upgrades do not go smoothly.  It is the same with WP and its plugins--compounded by changes to WP itself...  

WordPress is on a continual 'improvement' cycle.  Crashes began with the introduction of Gutenberg as a replacement for Classic Editor when editing existing pages.  Easily fixed.  Now, and beginning with v5.4 API changes--we now have the specter of v5.5 Jquery and JSON changes--a lot of them.  Theme and plugin developers have been scrambling since the release this month to update their offerings--but for some orphan products, this will never happen unless we as the end-user update the PHP code.  There are two I am looking at in the editor now.

This is not to be a discouragement for bundling--but just an advisory that using WP takes a bit more work than a TNG standalone...

descendents.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theKiwi
11 hours ago, Merv said:

Hi Papa Tango,

Here is an example of what i meant by some of the charts not displaying properly when WP and TNG are integrated....

https://journeysingenealogy.com/genealogy/desctracker.php?trail=I315,F114,I203,F70,I417,F153,I451&tree=Thrush1

Here's another one...

https://www.kloosterman.be/genealogy/desctracker.php?trail=I325,F80,I107,F31,I2162,F743,I1913,F388,I2173&tree=001

This similar page

http://lisaandroger.com/Genealogy/desctracker.php?trail=I16,F9,I520,F62,I560&tree=Roger

works on my site using the TNG-WordPress plugin.

Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klooster

Strange, but I cannot reproduce it.

If I click on the descendants of an individual (Chrome, Safari or Windows Edge) I do not have that problem, see attached screen prints ???

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 06.18.51.png

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 06.29.11.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
2 hours ago, klooster said:

Strange, but I cannot reproduce it.

I had to look for it a long time too... But finally found it. In the second one, the text list, click on one of the tiny pedigree icons. That will bring you to that page. 

I didn't even know that existed, so on my site it is not yet fixed either. But as I said, it's a question of css. For some reason, TNG uses an img to create lines. My theme says img height is auto, which results in these blocks. You have to set the img on this particular page to 1px in stead.

Here's a screenshot of the page on your site.

Screenshot_20200828-090946_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klooster

Yes now I see it, had not noticed it before either.

Where, wich class or id did you change??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
48 minutes ago, klooster said:

Yes now I see it, had not noticed it before either.

Where, wich class or id did you change??

I haven't changed it yet on this page - I didn't even know it existed.

The problem is that TNG uses a lot of inline formatting. I had a quick look, and the easiest way to solve this will be, I think, to first make a mod that adds a div or a class of your own choice to this particular page, so it will be easier to change only the tab and img on this page and not other pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klooster

I have no experience with making mods, do you??

Help would be appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×