TNG Community

PHP Version

George W

Before I dig too deep in to my issue I thought I would ask. I just upgraded to PHP  5.6.28 a week a go. I did not check mt tng site at the time so I am not sure if that casued my issue but now all I get is the plain white screen. Will tng10 handle php  5.6.2? I had to upgrade for another site I am running.

tng 11

No errors in log.

http://myancestryroots.com/

Thanks.

George

1.JPG

I've just clicked on the link you sent (yes, white screen) and then clicked on "view source". It presents just:

<html><head></head><body></body></html>

with a file name 155B.tmp.txt

I've no idea where that's coming from

Alan

If I understand it right and my own ISP is anything to go by cPanel now allows you to choose any variety of PHP (including 7) without forcing you into one single variety

Alan

Typically a white screen is caused by PHP syntax errors.  Did you make any changes to cust_text.php or customconfig.php for example.  See the TNG Wiki article on blank pages.

If you made changes, run the files that you changed through the PHP Syntax Checker referenced in the blank pages article.

Hi George

It might be worth posting your problem onto the tngusers forum. The archive to previous and current threads can be found here:

http://lythgoes.net/pipermail/tngusers2_lythgoes.net/

The email address for additions is tngusers2@lythgoes.net

I'm not versed in the installation and upgrade to TNG11 (I'm sticking with 10.1.3 !) but it sounds as if you have missed a step in the installation. Hopefully someone will be able to pick up the problem and offer a solution.

Good luck Alan

I have checked that. I am sure it is something missing from the server now. My site worked and the only thing that changed since then was when I did a php upgrade. One of my other site also stopped working as it needed mbstring and I did not set that up. What are the required server extensions or functions? 

I have checked that. I am sure it is something missing from the server now. My site worked and the only thing that changed since then was when I did a php upgrade. One of my other site also stopped working as it needed mbstring and I did not set that up. What are the required server extensions or functions? 

For those following along. I started to do a fresh install of TNG11.02. I made all the backups I need to cover myself and figured I would start clean.

So I did backups and then deleted everything and dropped all the data tables.

I uploaded a new download of version 11.2. I extracted it and go to the web site and still WSOD.

I deleted everything again and created a simple "Hello World" index.html and that works fine.

Keep in mind that I have about 40 other sites on the server working fine. Everything from wordpress to others.

Uploaded the package again. Extracted and went to http://myancestryroots.com/index.php and get WSOD. http://myancestryroots.com/index.html still comes up fine.

So it does have something to do with php,, but what? 

Next step is to delete the site from WHM and create a new one. Stand by for more. I just want to make sure we document the issue.

Okay I need a break. Created a complete fresh domain on my VPS. Uploaded TNG, extracted and went to the website... WSOD. It has to do with something missing from my server but what. What are all the required components? Something is not configured right on the server. I am back to where I started that when I did my server upgrade to PHP 5.6.2 I missed something in the configuration. Before that TNG worked fine.

Hi,

1 hour ago, George W said:

It has to do with something missing from my server but what. What are all the required components? Something is not configured right on the server.

WHo is your host provider? Have you been in touch with them??

If you are going to manage your own server, you sort of have to know what you are doing.  I used to install, support and modify the IBM z/OS operating system on their mainframe and I would never consider hosting my own web site. 

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

If you are going to manage your own server, you sort of have to know what you are doing.  I used to install, support and modify the IBM z/OS operating system on their mainframe and I would never consider hosting my own web site. 

Thanks but I have been doing this for many years. Never had a problem I could not sort out. I just am trying to find out what the required components are for TNG. I have not been able to find a list beside the sql and PHP versions required. I do not want to enable a bunch of components for nothing.

OK, so you have been doing this, but is this your first time to put up TNG?

As far as I know TNG requires PHP 5.3 or higher, MySQL server 5.5 or higher that supports MySQLi, which is used by TNG 10.1 and later, the GD graphics library to generate thumbnails according to the diagnostic screen. Not sure what else you are looking for as requirements.

Maybe Gustave will chime in if there are specific other requirements.

Actually I have been with TNG since version 9. I have also done every upgrade since then. Sometimes there are just small tweaks on a server that can cause this and it is narrowing it down. Like I said I have about 40 web sites running on this same server. Had one that I had to install mbstring for to get it working after upgrading to the latest PHP version.

On a PHP server there are different directives, modules and tweaks that have to be installed or setup for each different type of php script. I am using easy apache3 to configure my server. 

I fixed this this morning in about 5 minutes. Once I got the proper server configurations setup the install went fine. I am not sure yet which server extension made the difference as I added a bunch because I did not want to try them one at a time. I will do a compare to the last install and will list the ones I added and everything else I can to help establish a solution for the future on what is required server wise.

Glad to hear that you solved your problem.  Once you figure out what the requirements are, you should document them in the TNG Wiki for others.