TNG Community
HerbKilby

User Roll

HerbKilby

I manage a site with currently 9 district descendant lineages that all share a common surname. We'll be adding several more soon.

TNG gives two options for manager: all trees or just one tree. I need a third option, more than one but not all.

Can anyone suggest a work around?

Merv

Hi, You could assign each tree with its own email address, and then issue the tree email(s) access codes to your various managers as required.

Others here may have other suggestions.

HerbKilby

Hi, You could assign each tree with its own email address, and then issue the tree email(s) access codes to your various managers as required.

That would mean a separate login for each tree for that shared roll. The problem with that solution is that if I have more than one manager for a given tree, then the forgotten password process would end up locking out others when the password is reset, which would require the resetting of the password again and resharing it. On a small site that might not be a problem, but I'm talking about a lot of people involve spanning over 3 continents. Also, it undermines access log tracking.

This solution would probably be less manageable than simply assigning the manager several different user accounts and having them login then logout then login under the appropriate user account when moving from management of one tree to another since you can't be simultaneously logged in under more than one account. I've considered this as a work around, but it is cumbersome an ineloquent to say the least. I'm working with some people that are confused easily.

I don't really want to write a mod, but I might have to. It would be to check right tree is an array of trees rather than as it is now done with a single variable.

Any thoughts on this and where I would have to hook into program/function(S)?

Merv

Hi, As far as I know, "Manager" isn't currently part of TNG terminology. What do you want your Managers to be able to do?

HerbKilby

Merv as you point out, "Manager" is not part of TNG terminology; but the fact is that with the exception of guest and I guess custom with privileges (or to use TNG terminology, rights) set to none, every roll manages something and therefore  I refer to one that manages as a manager irrespective of what rights they are assigned.

Terminology is a function of the language file and labels which you could edit to say "Big Cheese" instead of "Administrator." It's all a game of semantics. But we stray from the point of the post's query.

TNG allows either privileges to be valid across all trees or just one. I want to be able to specify to which trees the rights are applied. Or you can look at it as the privileges applies to all trees selected and only the trees selected.

Let me give you a scenario. We have 9 trees and a user with defined roll that permits add, edit, deletion, view living, and view private. These rights could either be by a predefined roll or through a custom roll. Now this user can have those  applied to all trees or restricted to one tree or one tree/branch.

Now suppose an agreement was made with the supplier of a Gedcom that created one of those 9 trees, with the stipulation that no one besides the "Super Admin" and themself is allowed to touch that tree or see living or private persons in that tree. To honor this stipulation, you would have to deny or exclude rights to the user above to this one tree if you would normally have granted that user rights that applied to all other trees.

So the question becomes, how do you solve this dilemma?

Multiple user accounts assigned to a single user and a user account shared by multiple users is not desirable.

Merv
6 minutes ago, herbertkilby said:

So the question becomes, how do you solve this dilemma?

Hi, For many on here English is not our first language therefore it is helpful to try to keep to TNG terminology as best we can to mininise misunderstandings :)

Instead of Manager let's use the term "Registered User" as this covers people that log in to your site irrelevant of any "Registered User Privileges" they may be assigned.

If it is a matter of "Registered User Restriction", then a work around for this would be to put everything into one tree and then set up branches. Any particular "Registered User" can then be restricted to any particular branch or branches.

HerbKilby
24 minutes ago, Merv said:

Hi, For many on here English is not our first language therefore it is helpful to try to keep to TNG terminology as best we can to mininise misunderstandings :)

Instead of Manager let's use the term "Registered User" as this covers people that log in to your site irrelevant of any "Registered User Privileges" they may be assigned.

If it is a matter of "Registered User Restriction", then a work around for this would be to put everything into one tree and then set up branches. Any particular "Registered User" can then be restricted to any particular branch or branches.

How is that a work around? We move from one tree or all trees option to a single tree and all branches and one branch only. You cannot assign a user to more than branch anymore than you can assign a user to more than one tree. We would still have the problem of a user to access all branches but ones we want to exclude.

Read my scenario again. I think it is quite clear. Not only that, it creates all kinds of problems because branches are used to restrict user to a group of individuals not the other way around. Plus that nullifies the whole concept of branches, which in actuality are sub trees. So there is no way to restrict some one to branch of a branch. All you're doing is throwing away the tree and making branches trees.

Merv
3 minutes ago, herbertkilby said:

You cannot assign a user to more than branch anymore than you can assign a user to more than one tree

Correct, You cannot assign a user to more than one branch. But it depends how you set up your branches

For example, you could set up your branches like this

• Branch England
  • Branch Wales
  • Branch Ireland
  • Branch Scotland
  • Branch England and Wales
  • Branch Ireland and Scotland
  • Branch England, Wales and Ireland
  • Branch Wales, Ireland and Scotland
  • (there is no limit to combinations)

You then can restrict your "Registered Users" to whichever branch that you have created for them.

HerbKilby

Obviously you are not getting what I am saying. How do you give a user access to all trees except one or some?

Merv
30 minutes ago, herbertkilby said:

Obviously you are not getting what I am saying. How do you give a user access to all trees except one or some?

Hi, This may be because you are still focused on trees and I am trying to explain a branch work-around. You turn your trees into branches on a single tree. You then set up branches or combinations of branches as you wish to allow/exclude access to your users.

Maybe try it before implementing it...

• Set up a test tree with all (or a handful) of your individual trees on it. (Your current setup will stay intact, your current users will be unaffected unless they have access to all trees and then all they will see is the test tree)
  • Set up some branches on the test tree that combine the various branches you would like your users access to.
  • Set up a test user account with this (combined) branch and see if the branch work-around meets your needs
  • If it doesn't, then scrap the test tree.

HerbKilby

I know how branches work. They are a subset of a tree. You are focused on the wrong thing. Let it go, I've contacted Darin for his advice.

Merv

Hi, Just trying to help... and you are welcome :)

ps. If Darrin comes up with a work-around, then please post back here thanks.