TNG Community
Marilyn

Main Person in Tree's Ancestor Link Sort of Broken After GEDCOM Import

Marilyn

I imported a GEDCOM file sent to us from another TNG site.  There were initially about 12-20 people in this tree, and then we imported a GEDCOM containing over 400 more family members (plus it contained the same 12-20 family members as his initial tree on our TNG site).  I had to merge those 12-20 original people and families, and in the individual view, everything looks fine; just dandy.  However, in the Ancestor view for person 1 (I1, Tree2), no ancestor links show.  If you go to the next person up the tree (his parents), the ancestor links show up just fine.  Any ideas what could be the problem and how to fix it?  Here are some screenshots:

1. shows person1, tree2 with missing links to his parents and other ancestors (the ID Numbers at this level remained unchanged, though the individuals were merged).

2. shows that the ancestor links are there in the individual view.

3. shows that the ancestor links are there for his mother in the ancestor (compact) view; the way it should be for him as well.

Using TNG 11.0.1, template15.

Terry's-famly-linkage-problem-individual1.jpg

Terry's-family-linkage-problem-links-are-there.jpg

Terry's-famly-linkage-problem-ancester-view-from-parent.jpg

jayat1familytree

You should always run "Track Lines" after a gedcom import.

It is located in the Admin>Import> Secondary Processes menu.

Marilyn

Thanks for the tip.  Just did it; didn't work.  Rats!

Merv

Hi, Maybe something went wrong with the merge... possibly merged to the wrong ID number? To fix you could try adding his parents again. This should connect him to his other ancestors providing those links are still in place. You may want to have a look for another instance of your person I1 (Terry) as well.

... to add his parents again you would use the find facility rather than add new

Marilyn

Merv,

Thanks!  I added his parents again, and it worked!  Thank you so much!!!  Woo-hoo.  Onward and upward. :)

Marilyn

P.S.  I also had to delete his first family (F1), but after that, everything is just as it should be, so thanks again.

Merv

Glad you sorted it out. Some additional advice would be when importing gedcoms is to do a backup first, so if anything goes haywire, you can restore and try again. :)