TNG Community
John S. Nielsen

Invalid characters in report csv file

John S. Nielsen

This topic concerns csv report with invalid danish characters.

When I want to see a report as a csv file from the report page, I get strange characters in stead of the danish Æ,Ø,Å and æ,ø,å. And it's only when I use export to a csv-file function. 

It looks like this: Fødselsdato" - it should be "Fødselsdato"

Any ideas to solve this?

theKiwi

What are you using to open the file with? I just tried your Report 1 and downloaded the file to my Macintosh, and opened it with BBEdit - it opened as expected.

Roger

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 3.53.54 PM.png

John S. Nielsen

Hello Roger,

Thanks for your respond.

I'm using MS Excel 2016 (Windows 10) as I want to analyze the data in the file. If I just opens the file as a .txt file in NotePad++ I get exactly the same as you do - with the right characters. But the problem arises when you want to go the step further and take data into Excel.

I found a solution - and I hope other users may find it usefull:

The standard settings for the "datatype" in Excel (Import Guide) has to be changed from "Windows (ANSI)" to "65001: Unicode(UTF-8)". You do that in Excel from the "DATA" menu and choosing "From text" (in Danish "Fra tekst"). Please see attached pictures for documentation.

---

In Windows 10 you may set the standard app to Excel if you want to open a ".csv" file. BUT in this case Windows only handles "semicolon separated" files, which don't help in this TNG specific case . Even if it did so I'm not sure it would resolve the data type issue.

Imp_00.JPG

Imp_01.JPG

Imp_02.JPG